so how crowded is your gym with newbies?

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Yeah totes, I am like soooo much better than them.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    youre a jerk. those people are trying to make their lives better and you're in here judging them where they can see it. No wonder so many people are scared to go.

Agreed! It's funny how quickly people forget where they came from and how they themselves got started.

Seeing new folks at the gym energizes me, motivates me, and reminds me why I'm there, and what got me there in the first place.

Oh, and it's not "your" gym - share and play nice, or go home.

I think people feel a bit territorial and a sense of entitlement because of their loyalty to their gyms and their programmes, only to have their space invaded by people who aren't really that serious about making a lifestyle change and are only trying it on for a while. I'm not sure how to articulate it properly. In any case, everyone knows that most "resolutioners" are only there for a few weeks, and so gyms don't feel like it's necessary to make sure there's enough equipment for everyone to use and are content to let it stay crowded and horrible for the month of January.

I'm all for people making a lifestyle change and bettering themselves, not so much in favour of crowded gyms and a lack of machines. That said, I just make sure I time my visits appropriately, but being a college/uni student on holiday I know I'm pretty lucky to have that luxury.
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Hahahahaa, I can't afford a real one and use my apartments' gym instead, and every time I make an attempt to go every machine is occupied. Bless em for being in there tho. I'm content with working in the house until February. :smokin:
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Too funny that this post is here b/c I workout at home, but my husband came home from the gym last night and was complaining all over the place about this girl who kept getting in his way b/c she was following her man all around the gym...she wasn't working out just on her phone tagging along wearing workout clothes.

I'm glad I workout at home and outside. For you newbies...just be curteous and stay off your GD phones unless you've got music playing! The gym is not a social place nor a phone booth!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    I don't get the anger at people who are just coming to workout and do their thing there, new or not.

It's not YOUR gym. They have just as much right to it as you do if they pay their dues. Plus, that extra money helps your gym stay in business and have the money to maintain the equipment and facilities that you enjoy.

If you prefer a quieter workout, go during non-peak hours. It's not fair to blame new people who are probably feeling horribly self-conscious as it is.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    The resolutioners seemed to start a month early at my Y. Picked up some yesterday. But not many resolutioners start out in the pool so that is still okay.
    Got in a 5K swim without anyone waiting. Then did a hard core set.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    the parking lot was full, but the gym was empty?
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    I'll be ready to see my gym back to normal again. It's just a mad house right now.

I'm not dogging the 'revolutionist' but i'm just ready for a normal gym capacity again. That is all...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Surprisingly not bad...just a few new faces that I don't expect to see for too long. I'm one of those 5AM gym people, so I've always knowns the "resolution-crowd" to drop off even faster than the other time frames because getting up that early is just not for everyone!

I just hope "my" Saturday morning spin class isn't too packed (or my gym gets a bigger spin room....I already have to get there 30 minutes before just to make sure I get a bike.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    I refused to even go last night. I am going tonight at 7pm when the crowd thins out a bit.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    And you were NEVER new...right?

Yep - I was. No judgements from me.

My gym is filled with older people that I'm sure it takes a lot of effort just to get there. I get a little frustrated when I have to change my routine a bit because a sr citizen is dozing on a machine I wanted to use (yes, it's happened!), or when I'm sweating up a storm and out of breath and I hear a sr citizen talk about "working out" when I saw them do 10 rotations on the bike. But hey - they got there!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    You all know that people aren't "complaining" about new people at the gym, right?

It's stating a fact. The gym is insanely busy from January through Feb, sometimes March. It happens every year. I've seen it for a bout 18 years now at big gyms, small gyms, and in between.

It happens.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    My Gym had about 20 extra people and I made a point to smile and nod to every one that looked a little lost. I want EVERY ONE of them to come back and feel welcome!!
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    I expected it to be much worse, I typically go between 4:45 & 6 so definitely peak hours. A few new faces but mainly the same one's I have been seeing the past few months.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    My Gym had about 20 extra people and I made a point to smile and nod to every one that looked a little lost. I want EVERY ONE of them to come back and feel welcome!!

Agreed
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Maybe people have changed b/c my gym was dang near empty. I was totally shocked this morning. I haven't been in the evening but I'll check it out soon.
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    the parking lot was full, but the gym was empty?

Mine was too, I was guessing b/c many parents were there to pick kids up or drop them off for practice? I go to the YMCA & that is the only thing that made sense to me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Not sure - I tend to get there between 0530-0600, so it's not too bad.

I *did* see two people there this morning that I haven't seen before. And I have no clue what the one woman was doing. The other guy I wanted to smack, as he was doing some sort of circuit, but had the squat rack loaded while he was off doing other things and coming back to the squat rack every 4th exercise or so. I ended up doing my benches first. When I was done with those, the power rack was finally available - the woman was doing the half-squat leg raise to the side thing she had been doing - so it didn't matter.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    I waited until mid-evening to go, and it was still really crowded. I was able to get a machine right away though, so that was good. Still, it wasn't the one I really wanted to use and I've rarely had a problem getting the one I want every time I go in. I'll keep going later throughout January I think and then check back in at my regular time starting in February and see how it goes.

ETA: I think it's great that people want to work hard and better themselves....I just wish we didn't all want to do it at the same time :laugh:
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    And you were NEVER new...right?

Yep - I was. No judgements from me.

My gym is filled with older people that I'm sure it takes a lot of effort just to get there. I get a little frustrated when I have to change my routine a bit because a sr citizen is dozing on a machine I wanted to use (yes, it's happened!), or when I'm sweating up a storm and out of breath and I hear a sr citizen talk about "working out" when I saw them do 10 rotations on the bike. But hey - they got there!

Wow...just...wow...eat some carbs, honestly it will put you in a better mood.

:noway: :grumble: