Couch to 5k

124»

Replies

• amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    I have a lot of good things to say about this program. I am just finishing up week 9 of the C25K program through Zen labs, and am tentatively moving on to the 10k program, though am currently battling shin splints. I used the Nike+ Running App (though I also like iRunner and Runtastic, and there are plenty of other GPS running apps out there as well) alongside the C25K app because I wanted to know how far I was running in addition to how long I was running. It took me longer than the 9 weeks because I got bronchitis, but from where I have picked it up, it has gone well.

I started at 13:31 min per mile in August, and then 12:18 in November, 12:05 in December, and so far 11:24 in January. I posted my fastest 1 mile yesterday at 9:19. I have seen tremendous improvement in the time I have used the program. I have alternated between the treadmill and running outside. The shin splints are hopefully only a minor setback. I am doing weight training in the mean time to offset the lack of cardio workouts.

As a secondary but greatly appreciated benefit, I've lost 10 lbs since I started the program, five inches around the waist, and have found a way to be active that is relatively cheap.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    If the race is outside, I encourage you to train oustide as transitioning from a treadmill to outside will be difficult and you may have to go back several weeks.
    It's a great program!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    I started Couch to 5k last February, and I ran a 5k in April. Since then, I run 5k (distance, not races) 2-3 times per week. I even ran a 5-mile AND a 5k race on Thanksgiving day.

I think I was about 270 pounds when I started the program, and I had NEVER run before. I remember new "milestones" all throughout the program, e.g., "That's the first time I've ever run for 5 minutes straight!".

I would definitely recommend Couch to 5k for anybody even considering it.

Also, if at all possible, find a friend to do it with. Accountability always helps.
  • haileybailey5
    haileybailey5 Posts: 17 Member
    These are all so inspiring to read! I just started Week 1 Day 1 today! While I wouldn't define it as enjoyable, I wouldn't define it as terrible either. I'm excited to see how all of us do, good luck everyone!

It sounds funny, but I found Week 1 more horrible than I found Week 9. Those first 60 seconds redefined my pown personal hell. Now I enjoy going out for a 30 minute run. I am working on the 5k to 10k program. I am expecting another new definition soon.

This makes me feel a lot better! I've always been active but NEVER a runner and the later weeks seem pretty daunting. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going, I will work to be where you are!
  • frostytots
    frostytots Posts: 33 Member
    I just started C25K too! I'm on my third run tomorrow.