Red Cabbage

Jlbaker08
Jlbaker08 Posts: 18 Member
I have a head of red cabbage I need help with... I have no idea what to do with it.

Recipe ideas?

Replies

• It's great in salads, you can make a light cole slaw, or add it to any soup
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    It's great shredded on fish tacos!
  • Saute it with onions, German style, or braise it in Chicken stock.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Saute 1 small onion and an apple in a little bacon grease or if you need to olive oil.
    Shred your red cabbage and saute with the apple and onion.
    cover with broth (granulates and water) and let simmer for about 20 min. or until the tenderness you like
    add small amount of vinegar to taste
    Enjoy with venison or beef roast and potatoes
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    I just chop it up and eat like a snack.. Better than chips!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Chop it into holdable wedges and also prep some other fresh veggies like green peppers, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms whatever you like as far as crunchy raw veggies go.. and serve it with some kind of creamy dip. I *always* use red cabbage when I make crudité this way because I used to order a great crudité platter at a restaurant with friends a lot and found I loved the red cabbage pieces best of all and would tend to eat those up first while bargaining with other people to trade any veggies I didn't like for more red cabbage.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Swedish Red Cabbage. It's one of those Germanic type cabbage recipes. A little sweet and a little tangy. Goes well with pork meats (chops, roast, hams) or roast turkey. Serve with one of those and a small baked sweet potato. Mmmm...

Recipe at: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Swedish-Red-Cabbage-2806

I can't recall the calories we calculated out per serving, but it wasn't bad at all. The leftovers freeze quite well to be thawed and used with a future meal.
  • go lightly if going raw, it can be hard on the stomach.
    I would shred it and make it into a chinese chicken salad.....add roasted chicken and toasted almonds. Then make a dressing of 2 parts rice vinegar, one part olive oil, pinch of sugar and a touch of sesame oil and a splash of water or just rice vinegar, water and touch of sesame oil if you want lower fat. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and you will love it! The vinegar will break down the cabbage also so its not so rough on the tummy.
    good luck.