Ready to cry

Options
:sad:
I have a long way to go. Either i'm being too strict only allowing myself 1200 calories, or my will-power totally sucks. I've been on this diet for 4 days now and haven't lost a fraction of a pound. Why? Because i keep going out with friends and then not being able to control myself. :angry:
I went to Ruby Tuesdays and had a huge salad (good) covered with ranch (bad) followed by a strawberry daquiri and spinich artichoke dip. For those of you who haven't had it - they've taken spinach and turned it into a cheesy, fat filled dip served with fried corn chips.
I'm not gonna quit. But... i'm very dissapointed in myself tonight. Hopefully i'll turn it into a "learning experience":noway:

Replies

• girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    hang in there it will all come together :happy:
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel1 it is SO very hard. But each day is a new day. In 1999 I lost 80 pounds to be back where I started this year in 2010. Talk about want to cry-but I know that only I can make the change so I am trying to start here. Dont beat yourself just start over-that's all you can do! Good luck!
  • wannabe
    wannabe Posts: 29
    Options
    aawww dont beat urself up too much! i have had many days like that this year and i just keepon starting over the next day! every day is a new day! remember you dont have to go out to eat to hang with your friends. suggest going to the gym together or something not associated with eating
  • ardent
    ardent Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey! don't get discouraged! just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. and try your hardest to say "no" to all of that deliciously unhealthy stuff!!!

good luck!! i just got on this site too, and sunday i felt disgusting adding up all of the stuff i had eaten!!

also!!! if you exercise, it let's you eat MORE calories AND makes you feel better about yourself O=)
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree w/ Ardent....

if you want to hang out with friends at a restaurant, plan some time at the gym BEFORE! Earn your food before you eat it. That is what keeps my in the green.
  • turtlebaby
    turtlebaby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chin up! It's hard, but every day is a new day. How many points are you trying to lose each week? I ask because I was having a really hard time meeting my calorie goals when I was trying to lose 2 pounds a week, but when I switched to 1 pound a week, I was much more successful. Yes, it may take you longer to get to your goals, but you will probably be more likely to meet your goals and stick with it in the long run. Good luck and keep posting. Everyone here is so supportive!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OK - let me get this right - you have been at this for 4 days...FOUR DAYS! Cut yourself some slack ! The weight di not go on in four days...so chill. You have made a committment to MFP - ease up. this is going to take awhile! Today is done - let it go!
  • abrace
    abrace Posts: 2
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I have been doing this for 4 days also. I have been exercising daily for 2 months and I gained 5 pounds! i have been fighting myself and wanting to give up SO bad. I walk down a baking isle at the market and want to bury my face in a container of frosting..LOL. I am trying to keep faith that it WILL happen. Just keep saying that to yourself and eventually you will find it to be true. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hey there don't give up. Take this whole process one choice at a time. When it comes to eatting you will either eat this (healthy and in control) or that (the unhealthy, loaded with calories). Take it one choice at a time and really think about your goals before proceeding ! Good luck and hang in there!
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    Options
    You all made me feel better - thank you. I'm going for 2 pounds a week, but i doubt i'll even lose 1 this week. I actually did excersise today, ran for half an hour. I haven't done that in 10 years. AND i bought the 30 day shred dvd, going to start in the morning.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    OK - let me get this right - you have been at this for 4 days...FOUR DAYS! Cut yourself some slack ! The weight di not go on in four days...so chill. You have made a committment to MFP - ease up. this is going to take awhile! Today is done - let it go!
    :drinker: Yea what the beaver said:tongue:

One thing you might switch is the word diet to lifestyle change and it might help your head wrap around it being an up and down journey, not something you go on and off of. You hit a bump in the road, you've only been at changing your lifestyle for 4 days, hon, that's not a long time.

You're bound to trip (we all have and still do at times:wink: ) up a bit as you figure things out, change is not easy, it's down right hard sometimes but it's a challenge that is a good one if you're looking to go from less healthy to healthy here on MFP.

Lots of folks here to support you, perhaps 4 days is far to early to even begin to use the scale, I weigh periodically, no special time and it works for better for me. It has gotten rid of the scale addiction for me and I can now realize it's simply one tool of many:drinker: Knowing what food we put into our mouths each day, looser clothes, breathing easier, more endurance, more energy, so many other measurements to be used besides the not always so nice scale.:wink:

Best to you as you begin anew as soon as you pick yourself up and dust yourself off. You can still go out to eat but you'll want to begin checking the online menu's before you head out. Preplanning outings is truly the safest way:flowerforyou:

After awhile you may not even enjoy going out when you discover you can make far healthier food choices and versions of the same meals at home!

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • msseven
    msseven Posts: 1
    Options
    I give myself a "free day", which is on Wednesday. I add an extra 30-45 minutes onto my workout on Weds, eat fruit for breakfast and a light lunch but I allow myself to eat McDonalds, Ruby's or Chilli's...whatever, for dinner. It is my treat for being "good" during the week.

Tell your friends what your goals are so that that accountability factor is there. Make a bet to do something totally embarrassing if you "over-order", or if you HAVE to go to get those chips and dip do it on your "free day" and in moderation.

I have about 17 lbs to lose...we'll make it! :0)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    You all made me feel better - thank you. I'm going for 2 pounds a week, but i doubt i'll even lose 1 this week. I actually did excersise today, ran for half an hour. I haven't done that in 10 years. AND i bought the 30 day shred dvd, going to start in the morning.
    Sounds like you've got yourself some good plans for tomorrow:flowerforyou:

Isn't this group the best for picking you up and helping you back on the path? It's a wonderful group of very supportive ppl who truly DO understand:wink::happy:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Well, as everyone has said, tomorrow is a new (and better) day! Remember, 4days isn't much time! I've been on this site for only a few days myself but started 2weeks ago fitness wise. I started taking baby steps for the past two weeks like walking 30min in the morning and 15min in the evening. I gave up soda completely and drink lots and lots of water (I was bad about drinking 6-7soda cans per day..it was horrible) I amped up this week and started by walking 2.2miles today! I went and bought 'Just Dance' for Wii fit and have been having a blast. I know it's hard to eat healthier, especially when going out with friends, but maybe include them in your plan for eating better. Heck, they may even start themselves! . Good luck in all you do and don't be too hard on yourself. I have struggled for the past 5(ish) years and would never see results and quickly give up, so now I don't expect to loose weight drastically. I set up mini goals with rewards. I'm a long ways away from losing weight, but I'm ok with that. Just know you have a whole website of support! <3
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    I have a long way to go. Either i'm being too strict only allowing myself 1200 calories, or my will-power totally sucks. I've been on this diet for 4 days now and haven't lost a fraction of a pound. Why? Because i keep going out with friends and then not being able to control myself. :angry:
    I went to Ruby Tuesdays and had a huge salad (good) covered with ranch (bad) followed by a strawberry daquiri and spinich artichoke dip. For those of you who haven't had it - they've taken spinach and turned it into a cheesy, fat filled dip served with fried corn chips.
    I'm not gonna quit. But... i'm very dissapointed in myself tonight. Hopefully i'll turn it into a "learning experience":noway:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going to eat ahead of time Google the resturant and look at the menu and the nutrition values and get a idea of the food you want to eat ahead of time so you can eat with confidence and just no thank you to the appitizers say you have been waiting for this meal and you don't want to spoil it. Good luck
  • k5oddo
    k5oddo Posts: 4
    Options
    hey! I am the queen of losing 1-2 pounds in a week and then gaining it back plus more sometimes on the weekend. YOu can do it though, I have done it before. It just takes some momentum - keep going for a week, and note how you feel. Do your best to only eat things you're comfortable with. You will feel, if nothing else, in control and able to handle your cravings. You may also feel lighter and better all around! It just takes time.. YOU CAN DO IT!! :)
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I agree, start with the one pound a week goal to start and get acclimated, its hard to just cut all the way back AND EXERCISE! Like mentioned if you are going out, EXERCISE for sure that day. There is always time, set that alarm 30 minutes early and go for a walk or put in an exercise DVD! You can do it! When I started, I tried to change some of patterns and instead of meeting for lunch, I would meet for coffee, or a walk. It worked much better! :flowerforyou:
  • saintdee
    saintdee Posts: 8
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have steadily gone over mine anywhere from 40 to 150 a day, I don't mean too, but until I get used to taking in only 1200 calories a day it's going to be a learning curve pretty much.... OH and I work out for at least 40 minutes every day, my goal is 4 times a week but I have managed to get a head start by exercising daily....

You can do this, it just takes time. And you are right, eating out is a diet demolisher. I have eaten out every day since friday and I am sick of it.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You have some good advice here.
    I have a friend who asks for a take out container as soon as her plate arrives. Then she cuts everything in half & puts it in immediately. Everyone admires her will power & no one ever thinks it's weird.
    It works for her.

I make sure I burn a lot of calories so I feel like I earned a restaurant meal. Then I drink a LOT of water & check the menu before I leave home, so at least I have an idea of what I want to consume. Sometimes that keeps me from indulging before my meal.
    At the restaurant, if you think alcohol will be hard to resist, have water or a diet soda before the meal & hold out as long as you can. Then maybe you can have one on everyone else's second round!