SNACKS

Alright, so I do just fine with my meals. Healthy foods within my calorie goals, but in between meals and usually around 9PM I start to get very hungry. I was doing the 90 cal granola bars, but I got to where I would eat 2 of them to kill the hunger. What snacks do you eat that fill you up? Lowest cal possible, would be great. And I know people say eat some peanuts, they have protein and will fill you up... well, no. They do not fill me up. I'd have to eat half a can to be full. Lol.

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Something with some protein and at lrsdt a little fat will stick with you better. Celery and a little peanut butter for example...or a hard boiled egg.
  • welski
    welski Posts: 3
    Drink a fall glass of water with your granola bar or an apple, popcorn is snacky too.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    A snack doesn't need to fill you up completely. It just gets you from one meal to the next. I like a handfull (about 10) of almonds and a cup of milk. It puts a lid on mid-morning hunger, gives me a good protein boost in energy, and lets me be hungry at lunchtime when I can get a full meal. Also, I get the flavored almonds so I can satisfy either a sweet or salty urge.
  • dll2013
    dll2013 Posts: 10 Member
    Do you like sweet or salty? I love the Fiber 1 Brownies and Chocolate Chip Cookies. Also fruit with fat free cool whip is one of my favorites. For salty try low fat string cheese, cottage cheese or baked chips since nuts don't do the trick. Carrots with no fat sour cream dip or celery with peanut butter is also good. Night time is the hardest for me also and the tv doesn't help with all the food commercials so maybe limiting tv might help. Good luck.
  • 2 hard boiled eggs - 140 calories
    or
    large veggie salad with light dressing/balsamic vinegar - under 200 calories
    or
    1/4 cup oatmeal (dry) cooked with water and add scoop of protien powder - approx 125 calories
    or
    Serving of sliced turkey with lettuce and tomato - 150 calories
    or
    try a warm beverage like 8 ounces of hot chocolate before bed.

I usually try to eat 4 meals a day each of 300 to 400 calories, because i get really hungry around 3PM and again at 9PM
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    I try not to snack, I find eating bigger meals and staying busy keep me from snacking on junk. But If I must then a plain Greek yogurt or a banana.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    6oz of baby carrots is only 70 cals. This might be something to add to your snack ideas.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    small apple and half a serving of almonds (55+85=140). or a light yogurt cup (90). or a glass of 2% milk (122). celery or carrots with half a serving of peanut butter (18+95=113). hot liquid (tea or coffee for me) and some fruit like a banana (105+ sugar or creamer= 157). you can have lots of combinations that are less than 180 calories.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    I agree with the yoghurt comments. Usually a few spoons of yoghurt does it for me. And if you get the low fat stuff it is pretty easy on the calories too.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    things i like as snacks -

- a cup of soup?
    - apple & PB
    - carrot sticks & hummus?
    - nuts
    - cheese & a few crackers
    - drink lots of water
  • sarahwilson12
    sarahwilson12 Posts: 70 Member
    I find that Nature Valley bars work wonders. There's some with yogurt or peanut butter, and others that are just plain. Whenever I'm hungry between meals, I only have one bar (usually two come in a package), then have a large glass of water. Not only does it fill me up, but it gives me energy to do other things too. I think it's only about 80 calories per bar. I just put the 2nd bar in a ziploc bag & save it for later.

Another option, especially at night when you get in a snacky mood, is to have air popped popcorn. If you can discipline yourself enough to have it with a really small amount of margarine & a bit of salt, it's pretty low on calorie count too, and very filling.

Smoothies are awesome, too. My husband & I make banana smoothies all the time -- a (small) tray of ice cubes, 1 cup of milk, & two bananas. Only about 160 calories, but very filling.

Hope this helps :)
  • my after dinner snack of choice is usually greek(the regular stuff doesn't do it for me) yogurt or steamed edamame. Sometimes popcorn if I'm just wanting something salty/crunchy.
  • muhl85
    muhl85 Posts: 17
    My go-to is berries & cottage cheese or greek yogurt. A favorite snack is one I had today...1 cup strawberries topped with 1/2 cup 0% Fage and a little Splenda. I used to try the 90-cal bar thing and it didn't work for me at all! It's also helped if I eat slowly and take sips of water between bites.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Kashi makes a protein bar, Turtle roll is what it is, so good, 190 calories and fills me up.

Lately I've been having two table spoons of Hummus, a little bit of cucumbers, and 2 celery sticks, fills me up and the hummus I have are 60 calories for 2 tablespoons.
  • MBCook2
    MBCook2 Posts: 34 Member
    I have this exact same problem!! There are some good ideas here...that will hopefully work (since nothing I've tried so far - other than eating too much because I'm so hungry - has worked)! Thanks for the post.
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Reduced fat cottage cheese, blueberries, watermelon, hard boiled egg,
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Lately:

hardboiled egg
    apple with tablespoon of peanut butter
    100 calorie popcorn
    swiss miss sugar free cocoa(made with water)
    slice of cheese
    english muffin with tablespoon of peanut butter and sugar free jam
  • I juice vegetables in my Vitamix and find a half a glass will do the trick when I'm hungry. Or I drink almond milk, half a glass of unsweetened mixed with a half a glass of chocolate almond milk. It gives me good calcium, fills me up pretty well, and not high
    in calories. I try to stay away from anything that has empty calories ... not always successful but Myfitnesspal is really helping
    because I'm accountable when I have to log everything I ate. Makes me think twice. One good trick is when you're hungry,
    before eating, drink a large glass of water. That will fill you up a lot so you eat less and water is so important for your diet.
    Good luck to you in your upcoming wedding ... very exciting.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Sour cream and onion light Pringles are delicous, you eat 14 chips for 70 calories.