Losing more than 2 pounds a week?

I weigh my self every Saturday around 10:30 in the morning, so I just weighed myself and it said I lost 3.2 pounds. I even weighed myself again, just to make sure, and it was the exact same number. I heard that the healthy weight to lose was 2 pounds a week (and most of the time just 1 pound). I'm eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I can't ever get to my goal of 1500. And I exercise about 4-5 times a week.

Could it be normal for someone my weight and size (295 pounds starting weight) to lose 3 pounds a week? Or could this because I'm taking alli? (sometimes. maybe 5-6 meals a week. I've suddenly started to forget taking it!)

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    For people that have a large amount of weight to lose, it is definitely possible to see larger than 2 pounds a week loss, especially in the beginning. I've definitely seen people report losses of 3-4+ pounds in a week on here. The important thing is that likely won't be the norm after a few weeks. It also slows down quite a bit as you approach your target weights. But for now, congrats and keep up the good work!
  • I don't think this is really a problem... weight always seems to come off quite quickly at first. Eventually it will slow down. As long as you're eating well and exercising you have nothing to worry about. xx
  • aesoprok
    aesoprok Posts: 70
    I think that it's ok for you to lose 3 pounds a week, it makes sense when you consider your starting weight, calorie intake, frequent excersise, plus the Alli. That blocks a good percentage of fat from entering your system, so i'd say as long as you don't feel hungry or weak, keep up the good hard work and enjoy the results!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    I agree with everyone else...Based on the weight you are starting at, it seems more likely to loose 3+ pounds per week

Congrats and keep up the good work!!!! :smile:
  • dr_tio
    dr_tio Posts: 1
    I have been shedding off 1 pound per day since I started exercising. I was only shedding about 3-4 pounds a week when I was just in the diet change mode and not calorie tracking. I exercise 2 times a day for about 700 calories per exercise and then walk for 30 minutes with one of my sons in a carry pack most nights. I try to keep my calories to 1250- but usually end up doing about 1500+/-. I am not taking any diet aide or supplements just great life changing diet for life way of eating. NO SUGAR was the begining for me.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    You're doing great!
    Keep up the good work!
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    What a terrible problem you have! :wink:

Keep up the good work and congratulations on your weight loss. 3 pounds in one week is awesome! Good job!
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    When I first started losing weight and had 100 pounds to lose I sometimes lost 5 pounds a week.. but at the same time I sometimes lost nothing. :] If you feel good and if you are eating and losing weight, that usually means you are doing just fine. :]

Congrats on the loss!
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    I think sometimes you can lose more than 2 in a week but it's not actually a 'week' that you've lost it in.

That sounds confusing... but let me explain.

This week I lost 3.5 pounds, supposedly. I'm not at a point where that kind of loss is possible BUT the week before I was desperately sick and bloated. So I think I lost weight last week too, it just didn't show due to water retention. But because of that retention this week it 'appears' as if I've lost 3.5 when in reality I haven't.

Does that make sense?

So sometimes the numbers will be bigger due to outside factors but that doesn't mean your big number was the result of one week. :)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Thanks! I've actually been losing about 3 pounds a week for several weeks. I was just wondering!