Dash Diet Weight Loss Solution

Is anyone else following this plan? I'm curious what others results have been. I'm on day 2 of Phase 1 and so far I really like it. It has surprised me how filling the food options have been and I am loving not having to count calories (although when I did yesterday just to see where I was at because I felt like I ate a ton of food I was only around 1250 calories).

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Nobody else is doing this yet? So far I'm on day 4 and it has been great. It has greatly reduced my cravings, I feel better, my stomach is starting to shrink, and I'm down 1.2 pounds (at least because I didn't weight myself until on it for a full day), and my hubby is down almost 4 pounds. It has been much easier and more filling than I expected it to be.
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    What is this? x
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    I saw something in a magazine at work - D.A.S.H. stands for something? I am not a fan of anything that is restrictive / shakes / "special diet foods" ' / anything that someone can make a profit from! but this one didn't look too weird .... hope it works for you :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    A lot of people here don't "diet".. they just eat what they like, but in smaller portions and count the calories.

Plus, those fad diets results generally don't last as they don't really teach you anything sustainable that will help you keep the weight off in the long run.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    A lot of people here don't "diet".. they just eat what they like, but in smaller portions and count the calories.

Plus, those fad diets results generally don't last as they don't really teach you anything sustainable that will help you keep the weight off in the long run.

This is what I've done. eat food, eat at a calorie deficit. That's my plan. I had a great double IPA and some sushi for dinner last night.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    This looks like it could be a very healthy lifestyle on first glance. In fact, it looks quite a bit like South Beach.

http://dashdiet.org/weight_loss_solution.asp
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    This is what I've done. eat food, eat at a calorie deficit. That's my plan. I had a great double IPA and some sushi for dinner last night.

A man after my own heart...
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DASH_diet I think the idea is lower sodium?
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member

Diet defined = "to select or limit the food one eats to improve one's physical condition or to lose weight"

I agree with this :)
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    DASH - Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.

It is our governments top diet to counterbalance hypertension. The Standard American Diet with restrictions. It will help but there are much smarter and easier ways to fix the problem.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    My doctor recommended this to me a couple of years ago, but I just wasn't ready for any changes. Congrats on finding something that works for you and doesn't leave you feeling hungry and deprived. :smile:
  • Stacyanne324
    Sorry! I forgot to check back!! It's not a fad diet or some crazy weight loss scheme. It is more a healthy lifestyle and how we should be eating. Lean meats, veggies, lowfat dairy, etc. The National Institute of Health and American Heart Association both recommend the plan. It was originally designed to lower blood pressure but they found that people also lost weight (surprise, surprise). A new book came out in December the Dash Diet Weight Loss Solution which combines this approach into a lower carb version of the plan for faster weight loss. Basically there are two phases. In phase 1 - for 14 days- you completely eliminate bread, pasta, fruit, milk (high in sugar), alcohol, etc in favor of lean meat, veggies, lowfat cheeses, beans, and that sort of thing. After the two weeks you start Phase 2 and can add back these things in limited quantities so you don't completely eliminate anything but the majority of your diet is still healthy and you will still lose weight but at a slower pace.

I came across the diet in a news report because it was the top diet of the year and started to investigate. I found the new book on Amazon and ordered it.

I'm sure a lot of people don't need to read a book or follow any kind of plan to eat healthy but I do better with guidelines and this has been a great experience so far.
  • Stacyanne324

True! I think this particular "diet" is less diet and more teaching you how to eat healthy and is something you can continue for life.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    I saw this on the news recently and meant to check into it. I agree, its a life-style change, not a diet. My problem is that I have so many weight loss books, I feel like I'd just be buying another dust collector Glad its working for you though!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

True! I think this particular "diet" is less diet and more teaching you how to eat healthy and is something you can continue for life.

Um, eliminating food groups is not teaching you how to eat healthy.

Last time I checked, fruit is healthy part of any diet.

There are no healthy VS un-healthy foods... It's all about the calories and macro's.
  • Stacyanne324
    It is only for two weeks that they suggest you eliminate a few food groups ... the rest of your life you include them. Fruit definitely is a healthy and important part of a regular diet. No argument there.. :)

But, I do disagree there are no healthy vs. unhealthy foods. There are definitely unhealthy foods. You can fit them into your calories for the day and I am a believer of all things in moderation but that doesn't make them healthy.

Either way, I didn't mean to offend anyone or start an argument. I was just curious if anyone else is doing this plan right now. It would be nice to have some fellow MFP friends to share progress and tips with. Everyone should do whatever works for them!
  • KenWNJ
    KenWNJ Posts: 6 Member
    Hi - I'm on day 4, down 5.5 lbs. I am also experiencing reduced cravings. Following phase 1 pretty strictly...as well as excercising everyday for only 30 minutes of cardio. Pretty easy to follow so far. Good-luck!
  • Due to some medical issues, I had to do DASH strictly for a while last year to get my body sorted out. It is actually a very healthy lifestyle plan - it's not about being restrictive - but it is about eating healthy. I didn't lose a ton of weight on it, but it was pretty much the way I ate already anyway - just with less sodium.

If you are looking for a "lifestyle" change, DASH will help you learn to make healthy choices when shopping & cooking. Lots of fresh products involved which is always good. I wouldn't really consider it a "fad" diet. Most doctors will suggest using a DASH lifestyle to their patients with certain medical issues and it is endorsed by the American Heart Association for it's healthy approach to reducing sodium.

Good luck!
  • Stacyanne324
    Hi - I'm on day 4, down 5.5 lbs. I am also experiencing reduced cravings. Following phase 1 pretty strictly...as well as excercising everyday for only 30 minutes of cardio. Pretty easy to follow so far. Good-luck!

Thanks Ken! Good luck to you too!! And I'm a Jersey native myself... Burlington County area. Relocated to Lancaster County, PA but I'll always be a Jersey girl at heart. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Um, eliminating food groups is not teaching you how to eat healthy.

Last time I checked, fruit is healthy part of any diet.

There are no healthy VS un-healthy foods... It's all about the calories and macro's.
    Fruit used to be a treat in "the old days". But it IS healthy.
    That said, I see no issue with removing it and a few other things for a short time. When I went on my "low crap" diet 12 years ago I did a 2 week detox, and that did include removing fruit. Did I need to? I dont know. Did it work? Yep. It's been 12 years of eating healthy most of the time. And I haven't gained the weight back.
    I personally think the DASH approach seems reasonably healthy. If the OP can eat as the DASH plan suggests for the long term, good for her. She will have an easier time of it. And I DO think there are unhealthy foods.