Stage 1 -- pushups in the middle of the gym?

Hi everyone. I'm starting NROLFW in a few days, and I wanted to know if i t was awkward to do the pushups in stage 1 in the middle of your gym? I would do them at home, but I live in a tiny apartment that doesn't have room for the equipment for the other workouts. I just can't imagine myself dropping to the floor and doing pushups in the middle of the weight room, I feel like I"ll get weird looks.

Replies

• suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    not weird at all...people do all kinds of crazy stuff in the weight room...it's a gym...that's what it's for
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    I feel strange too...I try not to think about it, just think about how good it is for me!
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    not weird at all...people do all kinds of crazy stuff in the weight room...it's a gym...that's what it's for

Sorry, I just joined a gym recently and am VERY new to gym etiquette. Obviously I know people exercise there and that's what it's for, but I don't know what's normal and what's not and I'm terrified of being stared at and it being obvious that I don't know what the heck I'm doing, lol.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member

Sorry, I just joined a gym recently and am VERY new to gym etiquette. Obviously I know people exercise there and that's what it's for, but I don't know what's normal and what's not and I'm terrified of being stared at and it being obvious that I don't know what the heck I'm doing, lol.
    don't apologize...it's all confidence...fake it til you make it...you got this
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    i always go over near a wall and do them between the wall and some equipment so i'm not just out in the open like "look at how hard this if for me!". or if your gym has a stretching area with mats you could do them there.
  • xSveltex
    xSveltex Posts: 18 Member
    I felt insane the first time I tried to do this. Especially considering I was horrible at push ups initially. As long *kitten* you have good form I think you can just ignore everyone else. There is a guy that practices martial arts (very very poorly) at my gym and he just does his thing wherever there is enough space.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Nope. If you can do them on the floor, just drop right down next to whatever piece of equipment you're using and bust them out. No better way to impress the other lifters. LOL

I'm doing Stage 7, so I had to do 4 sets of pushups today. I just dropped right down next to the step I was using for staic lunges rear foot elevated and cranked them out. One of the biggest lifters (who is always there when I'm there and is very friendly, by the way) was also doing supersets with pushups today, too, except he was doing his next to the lat pulldown machine. Made me feel all legit. :wink:

If you need to do them with some elevation, find a railing, a desk, a bench or use the Smith machine.

Pushups are good. Anyone who would judge you for doing pushups doesn't belong in a gym. If someone is looking at you, they're probably thinking, "hey, look at that awesome chick working hard doing pushups!"

Everyone has to start somewhere. I could not do pushups on the floor when I started. I did Stage 1 on a waist-high railing, then moved to a bench, then moved to a step, then to the floor. Now I can do 4 sets of 15 on the floor.

Own those pushups and claim your space!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    I hide in the section with the mats. I am horrible at push ups.
    I started stage 1 on Monday, I have to use the window sill for my push ups.
    I am hoping that by the end of this I will just drop to the floor and rock the push ups!!!!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Nope. If you can do them on the floor, just drop right down next to whatever piece of equipment you're using and bust them out. No better way to impress the other lifters. LOL

I'm doing Stage 7, so I had to do 4 sets of pushups today. I just dropped right down next to the step I was using for staic lunges rear foot elevated and cranked them out. One of the biggest lifters (who is always there when I'm there and is very friendly, by the way) was also doing supersets with pushups today, too, except he was doing his next to the lat pulldown machine. Made me feel all legit. :wink:

If you need to do them with some elevation, find a railing, a desk, a bench or use the Smith machine.

Pushups are good. Anyone who would judge you for doing pushups doesn't belong in a gym. If someone is looking at you, they're probably thinking, "hey, look at that awesome chick working hard doing pushups!"

Everyone has to start somewhere. I could not do pushups on the floor when I started. I did Stage 1 on a waist-high railing, then moved to a bench, then moved to a step, then to the floor. Now I can do 4 sets of 15 on the floor.

Own those pushups and claim your space!

Yup, this! I did my first stage 1 workout yesterday. I pulled a mat over and dropped right next to the cable machine. I owned those push-ups that I did on my knees. :bigsmile: #noshame
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member

I'm very glad to hear this. I am currently on stage 1, and pushups are very difficult for me. I am to the point now where I can successfully complete my sets at a waist-high counter. It's very nice to know that with continued practice I'll someday be able to do them FOR REAL :)
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Re. the push ups... I just started from the floor although I can't get down that far! Maybe a quarter of the way down. I'm hoping that by sticking to the floor, I'll succeed faster! Any comments would be much appreciated!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    I'm currently doing push ups at an incline since I'm not too hot at them. Depending where you are, maybe the same would work for you. A bench is perfect for this. My gym has a small area off from the machines where they have the free weights with a few benches. Good spot to do it.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    I'm right there, next to the guy doing ab bicycles without any drawers underneath his shorts busting out push ups that are shaky/sweaty/grunting but I'm doing them. I go to a gym with a guy who does all of his workouts with his mouth open and the guy who I swear yells "t*ts" when he's lifting. It's all good.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    I use the stretching mats at my gym. Pushups are hard but now I'm a couple of weeks in I can actually do them to the floor. It's amazing how quickly your strength improves!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    I'm right there, next to the guy doing ab bicycles without any drawers underneath his shorts busting out push ups that are shaky/sweaty/grunting but I'm doing them. I go to a gym with a guy who does all of his workouts with his mouth open and the guy who I swear yells "t*ts" when he's lifting. It's all good.
    oh, my gawd this made me bust out laughing! Thank YOU!
  • Hi everyone. I'm starting NROLFW in a few days, and I wanted to know if i t was awkward to do the pushups in stage 1 in the middle of your gym? I would do them at home, but I live in a tiny apartment that doesn't have room for the equipment for the other workouts. I just can't imagine myself dropping to the floor and doing pushups in the middle of the weight room, I feel like I"ll get weird looks.

You should have a general area where people stretch? That area would be appropriate to bust out pushups if you aren't comfortable doing them next to benches in the weight room. Wherever you go, just be sure you aren't in a high-traffic walking area.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member

do we go to the same gym? there's like 2 nut flashing guys who will always wear super short shorts and no manties.

and it's usually not the dudes whose junk you'd be interested in seeing either :cry:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Through most of NROLFW, I could not do the pushups on the floor, I had to do them elevated, but I used the bar of the Smith machine for them, and gradually worked my way down. Now I can do 2-3 sets of 10 on the floor, so when I was repeating stage 6 (after finishing stage 7 twice), after my barbell split squats, I'd just drop to the floor right next to the squat rack & do them there. No-one even blinked.

Go for it!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Super jealous of all you ladies who can do them on the floor, I still need to use the bench to do them. :embarassed:
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member

This is what I was going to say :).