Salvaging Mock Mashed Potatoes

I tried to make mock mash potatos with califlour, cream cheese, garlic and a bit of butter. Every recipe I found says no one can tell the difference between the califlour and "real" mashed potatoes. I didn't realize until after I started cooking the califlour that every single recipe I could find says to use a food processor. I don't own one. I tried the mixer and it didn't work. Then I tried the blender and it only worked if I put in a cup or less. Okay, some eight batches later, I have this puree of califlour, cream cheese, garlic and butter that taste exactly like califlour, cream cheese, garlic and butter! Do I put it in the trash or is there something else I can do to make it give up the califlour taste?

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    leave it for a while and it might thicken. Add some cornflour.

Otherwise, use it as a white sauce for some mixed veggies it will be yum.
  • This time you may be out of luck. Next time add 1 or 2 potatoes in for a better texture. Sounds like you may have added too much liquid. Do you not like cauliflower normally?
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Try to grate the cauliflower next time and then mash. It will still taste like cauliflower, but there won't be much of a texture difference. You can also do a "Mock" Mac & Cheese w/ cauliflower too. Take steamed cauliflower and mash it w/ butter, layer in a 8inch square pan and then top with cheese (reduced fat sharp cheddar is what I use). It's really tasty and low carb.
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    maybe boil a couple of potatoes....mash them in?
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Cook some whole wheat elbow macaroni then add a little more cheese lowfat of course. Add all to your mixture. S &p to taste makes great Mac n cheese. Cauili mashed "potatoes " is never going to taste like mashed potatoes. If you don't like the taste of caulk ummmm?
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Interesting.
    I did mine by hand with a hand masher.......
    and they did just fine.
    i dont use cream cheese though. too much fat.
    I only use spray butter, a tad of salt, pepper and maybe some garlic cloves mashed with the cauliflower.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Just a question...

...why are you trying to make cauliflower into potatoes?
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Interesting.
    I did mine by hand with a hand masher.......
    and they did just fine.
    i dont use cream cheese though. too much fat.
    I only use spray butter, a tad of salt, pepper and maybe some garlic cloves mashed with the cauliflower.

What she said
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    Why not just have the real thing? Real potato's aren't that bad if you don't load them up. A little of Brummel & Brown (which is delicious), salt and pepper is around 150 calories. Or add cooked broccoli and some cheese. Even Hormel Real Bacon Bits are only 45 for a tablespoon and that's a pretty decent amount for one potato. Or for a more main meal have a potato with chili on it. That's what I do whenI go to Wendy's- get a plain backed potato and a small cup of chili. Filling and delicious!

As for your mash, maybe over steam some broccoli, mash it up with a fork or potato masher, put in some chicken broth, cheese, add it to your cauliflower and make it a soup?
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Thanks, everyone. I actually love califlower, but not when I'm told they it taste like potatoes. And I was doing this to save on carbs. I like the idea of turning this into mac and cheese. It should be good with sharp cheddar. Thanks, Suzy, the soup sounds good, too. Now I have two things to try.
  • suzy1220
    suzy1220 Posts: 118 Member
    I get wanting to cut the carbs but for me I could not realistically do that for the rest of my life and I am really trying to eat things that I will want to/be able to eat forever. I know if I cut out or drastically reduce any one food group I would never be able to maintain that for the long haul. And I would probably start gaining if I added them back when I hit my goal. Losing the weight is actually the easy part, maintaining is the hard part!

I've been trying to approach this by creating a realistic food plan using food and ingredients that I will continue to want to eat. If it involves carbs, or dairy, or whatever, I'm going to have it because it's food that I know I will want to continue to eat. I am trying to lighten up dishes so that I can have bigger portions of them because if I'm not feeling full I'm going to eat all of the wrong things.

Totally off your original topic, :happy: just something to think about before you drastically reduce or cut out any one food group! Good luck to you!
  • So maybe next time, since you DO like cauliflower, just steam and add cheddar cheese to melt. Sounds good to me. Baking it to put a crust on top might help too. Everyone contributing above had some really good ideas.
  • guinnessstella
    guinnessstella Posts: 9 Member
    I make this but mix cauliflower and potatoes - sooo yummy! I use a potato ricer but probably a hand potato masher would work too. I add low fat roasted garlic / herb cream cheese.

I've also used cauliflower to make alfredo sauce. Boil/steam cauliflower in chicken broth (or veggie broth), puree and add parmesan cheese.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Just a question...

Wondered this myself.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Maybe you can make a roux and add your cauliflower mixture to it to make it into a cream of cauliflower soup? I mean, you do need a tablespoon or two of flour to do that, but it is probably better than potatoes on carbs. I don't know that the texture/taste of what you are making is going to trick you into thinking you are eating potatoes.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Just a question...

She's not. It's "mock" mashed potatoes. Are you trying to ask why she is making a substitution dish?

It's actually delicious and easier to fit into some people's diaries given their cal/macros.

OP, did you cook the cauliflower enough? It should be "mashable" once cooked. I boil them in water with some chopped onion, garlic salt, and pepper until extremely tender. Then I drain and add half a can of cream of mushroom soup and maybe a tbsp of butter. Mash all together until smooth, microwave until very hot and serve.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    That was incredibly funny!!!

Save it and add it to soups or other dishes a little at a time.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Make it into soup. If you're low carb use half & half watered down 50% instead of milk and sprinkle some bacon bits on top.
    http://localfoods.about.com/od/winter/r/CauliflowerSoup.htm
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    instant potatoes might help
  • Make sure the cauliflower is as dry as possible, and was it completely done cooking? I don't add the cream cheese either, I also use the spray butter, salt and pepper and I used a hand mixer..Just had it tonigh and it turned out great.