Calling All Big Losers!

Options
Many overweight people eat for reasons other than hunger, such as stress, unhappiness, anger, boredom. If you have lost a lot of weight, and are currently maintaining your new weight, could you share any techniques you used to overcome eating for emotional reasons?

Replies

• Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good topic. Going to bump for later. I would love to read some responses for encouragement.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The horrible emotion I felt in January 2012 at the doctor's office when I realized I had eaten my way into ill health has proven to be stronger than any other emotion I've since felt that might have triggered me into overeating.

I take that back...the sickening feeling I felt when I tallied up all the money I'd have to spend taking care of my fat-induced illness was stronger.

I NEVER want to feel those things again. When I feel emotional eating urges rearing up, I think about that. Then I find something else to do besides stuff my face.

Best tip: eat every 2-3 hours...if you know you are not really hungry, that makes it easier.
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I dont keep the treats in the house. When i get really up set like a month ago my boyfriend broke up with me during finals week, old me would come home and drown myself in a bag of salty chips. New me hahaha I will be stronger then before healthier then before. When I really get stress now I find something anything to pull my mind back to the good place. I'll walk everyday longer and longer to release good stress teducing hormones. I find a project go and get yourself puzzels. Crafts, ect. If your hands are busy making something they are not grabing treats. Good luck you all are amazing people i owe all my weight loss to my friends on this site love you all!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm on the right path again, after gaining back some weight while I was pregnant a few years ago. I had originally lost 115 lbs.

I am an emotional eater. I do have days when I have the urge to snack, but keeping tea around, flavored tea bags, helps! It gives me something to consume, that's flavorful but no calories.

Trying to find something else to obsess over helped me too. I did become obsessed with exercise, not the point where I was doing too much, but I used it to battle stress rather than turning to food.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Delayed gratification. I can have it, just not right now, especially if I know I want to eat because I'm upset or something. Gorging on a couple orders of large fries at McDonalds isn't going to fix whatever is stressing me out. It might be acceptable to eat some fries, as I have decided not to forbid ANY food, but I will have a small order...later. Or a large order, if it fits into my day calorie-wise. But not until I'm done spazzing out.

I guess the way I try to think about it now (as I have had anorexia as well as binge-eating disorder at different times in my life) is that I HAVE to eat. Everyone has to eat. However, I don't have to eat ALL the food RIGHT NOW. So weird how messed up my head has been about food.

So if I'm tempted to binge on something specific, I delay that gratification. No fries today, but I can have them on Wednesday. I could just eat a little, but I know I won't if I'm craving it and feeling like I won't be able to stop. But if I really am hungry and not just emotional, I eat, just something other than that food. I refuse to swing the other way and just not eat at all. Eating is good! It's ok! And it's ok to just eat enough and not eat everything in sight!

I don't know if any of that made sense, but that's kind of where I am.

ETA: I'm specifically talking about emotional binges above, not being hungry and thinking something sounds particularly good, just to clarify :flowerforyou:
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    bump again!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Like others, I don't keep comfort foods in the house.

Also, when I realize that it is emotional, I try to turn to moderate exercise to give me some alone time to deal with it, or something new or challenging if I need a distraction.
  • AuntieMC
    Options
    Anyone else?