Confession time.

I had a bad night last night. I had a reasonable, healthy dinner. I was proud of myself for staying under my calorie goal for the day.

But, a few hours later, it hit me. HUNGER....for some reason, I was SO hungry. And I was craving pizza like mad. I knew the best thing for me to do would be to have a healthy snack and drink water, but old habits kicked in and, well...I ordered a large thin crust pizza.

And ate the whole thing.

I felt terrible after; bloated, fat, saddened. I know these things happen and all you can do is get back on track the next day and forgive yourself for the mistakes you are bound to make. I also know that I need to stop, count to ten, and THINK about how I will feel if I eat that whole pizza. I also know that pizza is a trigger food for me and I have to either avoid it altogether, or learn how to incorporate it into a healthy diet.

A few years ago I might have cried after eating that whole pizza, and then just gone and ordered another one a couple days later. But now I know that hiding my 'shame' is unhealthy, and I need to share these issues and face them head on, as I am certainly not the only one who struggles with them.

So here I am, confessing to all of you that I ate an entire pizza last night. But I WILL be better and I WILL get stronger, because if I have the power to admit my weaknesses and talk about them openly, then I have the power to change them.

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Weak moments happens, you learn and you move on :)

Recognizing what you did and why is a huge step! You are doing great, just by your ticker you have lost and that is wonderful!!

Keep up the great work, and move past what happened! :) Wonderful and helpful post!
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    it happens, I was craving a burger last night and decided I hadn't had one forever so I had a burger and fries. I logged it, was over....and now I have made peace with it. Today back to normal.
  • Kath1391
    Kath1391 Posts: 138
    You're only human :) I've gone over my calories today already because I made a naughty choice and ate three cookies..Gotta burn 300 calories now haha! it happens.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Things like this happen and everyone gives in once in awhile.
    But knowing why you did it will help your weight loss. I wanted pizza so bad yesterday, but I kept trying to fit into my calories for yesterday (and it didn't...) I also know I can't have one peice I'll keep eating, so I fought the urge to order by looking at the calories of how much it would put me over and how horrible I would feel. Worked yesterday, maybe not the next time but keep trying you'll find your "trick"
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    OMG, I have exactly ZERO will power as of late, and honestly, an entire pizza sounds freaking divine!!! I'm beginning to come to the realization that we can't all be perfect all the time and that sometimes...you just have to eat a whole pizza. :) Take care!
  • fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    You fell off the wagon. Now it is time to dust yourself off and understand what happened. Were you upset? Were you bored? What was going on? It helps to understand your triggers for binging then you know what to do when it happens again. Know your triggers and then you know what you need to do to avoid them - drink water, journal any emotions, call someone to talk out the issue, eat something healthy .... get up and go for a walk.

Me - when I am emotionally triggered I journal it. It helps me get the emotions out without eating.

Hope that helps.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    I'm with you, girl. Pizza is amazing. What I really need to work on is fast food. I am out of control at those places. Good for you for fessing up. I guess I should do the same. Yesterday, I had 2 breakfast sandwiches from Mcd and then for lunch I had 3 cheeseburgers and half a large fry from Mcd. Then I had a homemade dinner that my mom made. Not a good day for me. I eat at fast food waaaaay too much. It is just so convenient and delicious and I am in such a bad habit with it.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    this can happen to a lot of us. Try taking a few minutes...maybe over a warm cup of tea or something and log that into your MFP...the whole pizza. Finish that cup of tea and figure out if that pizza is worth it...it has never been for me. You are stronger than you are giving yourself credit. Pick your battles and fight the good fight.
  • darcy2102
    darcy2102 Posts: 27 Member
    You ate it, you owned it and you realized what you did. It happens and the fact that you recognized that you would have done worse previously is a good thing!
  • Ladykills82
    Ladykills82 Posts: 11 Member
    It's so difficult to overcome! A lot of the problem right now for me is that I live in Chicago and it is literally FREEZING out. I could go for a walk or a run, but honestly we all know pizza on my warm couch sounds better. Haha!

I still haven't logged the pizza onto my calorie journal. I know I need to but oh...all of those red number staring at me...
  • Been there, done that! I ordered a large pizza just the other day - granted it was loaded with veggies and I split my portions up over a few days, but I still felt bad about it. And my body was not happy with me - holy heartburn! But at least you recognized what you did and are moving on. That's the only thing you can do. Keep going forward!!! :)
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Try going Dairy free. The first 2 weeks are tough but once you get used to it, it's easy. I found when I quit dairy my hormones regulated and my cravings went away. My PMS symptoms went away as did my acne. The best part is you have nothing to lose but weight by trying it. Dairy effects your hormones specially for women. They give female hormones to the cows to make them lactate (on top of growth hormones and antibiotics) and with out these your body starts functioning normal again. Try taking some probiotic supplements when you quit. WARNING the probiotics might make you sick at first.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I used to eat Papa John's pizza twice a month. Loved that cheesy goodness and that garlic butter...yum! For the past 11 months, I still have pizza almost once a week. I get those Newman's Own thin crust ones and have half of it. If i have extra chicken or something in the fridge, I add that to it. Granted, I bought one of those thin crust pizzas BEFORE going on MFP and decided I didn't like it. Now I LOVE it! I get to have half a pizza every week for around 500 calories. Not bad. There is always at least one in the freezer at any time.

It's how I have done everything these past 11 months. Still eating what I want and just tweaking it to make it a little better for me. And when the craving comes for a real burger instead of a turkey burger...I eat it. I do everything I can to fit it into my macros and calories for the day, but I have it. I haven't had a day since being on MFP that I really felt guilty about anything I've eaten. I guess I could be down more pounds by now if I did, but this way is working and I am consistently losing and keeping it off without feeling deprived.
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member
    have you ever considered making your own? we make pizzadillas (like quesidillas but with pizza stuff) or we use flat out rolls with sauce, lite cheese and veggies like crazy, or you can do a pizza english muffin... sauce a slice of cheese and toppings... or there's always portabella mushroom caps filled with sauce and cheese and toppings... Just a suggestion...
  • Ladykills82
    Try going Dairy free. The first 2 weeks are tough but once you get used to it, it's easy. I found when I quit dairy my hormones regulated and my cravings went away. My PMS symptoms went away as did my acne. The best part is you have nothing to lose but weight by trying it. Dairy effects your hormones specially for women. They give female hormones to the cows to make them lactate (on top of growth hormones and antibiotics) and with out these your body starts functioning normal again. Try taking some probiotic supplements when you quit. WARNING the probiotics might make you sick at first.

I have considered this, yes! Maybe it's time to take a serious look at it. I know I'd miss cheese and yogurt, but not so much that I would suffer.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    I've done that. Several times in the past. As mentioned, all you can do is just go from here. Back on the healthy eating; if you can, get an extra workout in this week. At least it was thin crust pizza!
  • Ladykills82
    have you ever considered making your own? we make pizzadillas (like quesidillas but with pizza stuff) or we use flat out rolls with sauce, lite cheese and veggies like crazy, or you can do a pizza english muffin... sauce a slice of cheese and toppings... or there's always portabella mushroom caps filled with sauce and cheese and toppings... Just a suggestion...

I love Flat Out and english muffin pizzas! I should keep the ingredients for those on hand so when I get a pizza craving, I can whip one of them up at a moment's notice.
  • lumstead0317
    lumstead0317 Posts: 85 Member

I love Flat Out and english muffin pizzas! I should keep the ingredients for those on hand so when I get a pizza craving, I can whip one of them up at a moment's notice.

That's exactly what we do! We also use sliced mozzarella to keep calories in check... if it's shredded it's easier to go nuts!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    wow.
    food is mental. Pizza is mental. you were programmed this way....between the ages of 2-10....programmed to fall out, fall off, find comfort in pizza.....find what is in your head that needs it....and attack that bit by bit. your tummy doesn't know if you fill it w/a large pizza or a bag of rice cakes.....
    it's wonderful that you can look back and say oh....what's up....try to pause....no excuses, no validation, no should of would of what if's....be responsible for your feelings, own your emotions....people are puzzles....we're put together a piece at a time....good luck to you.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member

I was going to suggest the same thing. We love making our own pizza. I have a bread maker and make our own dough. You can control the amount of sugar and oil you put in the dough as well.
    Also, try stocking your freezer with some of those lean cuisine pizza, so when you have the craving you can just pop that into the microwave!