running/walking question

Hello! For the record, I'm a horrible runner but trying to get better (I'm not called turtle for nothing :) ) I try to incorporate jogging into my walks but it's not very far or fast. My question is is how do I put that into my exercise log? Right now I'm just putting the length of my walk/ jog in as walking 4mph in the log but I'd like to be more accurate. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Hello! For the record, I'm a horrible runner but trying to get better (I'm not called turtle for nothing :) ) I try to incorporate jogging into my walks but it's not very far or fast. My question is is how do I put that into my exercise log? Right now I'm just putting the length of my walk/ jog in as walking 4mph in the log but I'd like to be more accurate. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    the best way to be the most accurate would be to get a HRM and calorie counter.

Hope this helps.:happy:
  • christy_fl
    christy_fl Posts: 20
    I usually log mine by trying to figure out how many minutes I actually jogged & choose the slowest jog, then I add my walking time. OR I've also took my total walk/jog time & chose one of the faster walks. I prefer the first one.
    I was just like you....not even turtly enough for the turtle club! ha
    You will be amazed....keep working at it & your distance/stamina will astound you! :bigsmile:
    I just want to pass on good information I was given when I started out....invest in some great running shoes (Fit2Run is a great store for that) & don't get discouraged. Try & jog as long as you feel you can before walking or give yourself a finish line.....I'm going to run to the stop sign, etc... Then every few times try & go further than you did before...that helps.
    I hope my info was helpful!

18494.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Hey, I do the couch to 5K thing (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) which alternates jogging and walking, and I figure it out to about a 5 mph jog. You can always try keeping track of your time and distance and then figuring out your mph and logging by that. When you look up either walk or jog, it gives you speed options. If you find an easier way though, let me know. (I use google for my distance) =]
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good for you Turtle!

First, I would recommend either mapping your route on runningmap.com or using your car odometer.

Once you know the distance, you can time yourself running it.

Lastly, armed with the distance and time it took you to finish, you can go to runner's world http://www.runnersworld.com/ and sign up for the free training log.

The training log will tell you your exact pace when you enter the distance and the time.

I use the training log. Let me know if I can help you. It is super easy to use and free.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Go to mapmyrun and create a free map of the streets and route you run and then tell it the time it took you to run/walk/jog the route. It will tell you:

The distance
    MPH that you went

Hope this helps. :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Excellent! I have heard of mapmyrun but have not tried it yet. That sounds super easy!
  • turtle
    turtle Posts: 49
    Thank you all for your advice. It's really much appreciated! Its also nice to see someone who's a lover of yoga as well. Quite inspiring! Namaste
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    mapmyrun.. I am going to have to save that for the future... thanks!!