Fresh Produce Prices

I went into the store tonight to get some fresh veggies. OMG everything has tripled in price from a week ago! There were signs up that said due to the drought in Florida blah blah blah..... holy crap how can you afford $4.99 a lb for lettuce, apples, grapes, zucchini! I left with some bananas and strawberries.

How do you eat healthy with prices getting like they are?????

Replies

• DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    I've recently started driving a bit farther to get to an Aldi. Their food is very good and reasonably priced.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Aldi / Farmers markets / international markets / frozen veggies.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    There were signs in the Fresh Market yesterday apologizing for the high prices and citing "acts of God", etc. I buy organic produce and for once it was cheaper than conventional.
  • If you have an Aldi near you they have good prices on produce.
  • oh my... where do you live?! i pay about $1 for a whole thing of lettuce, and strawberries are one sale for $1.00 a package.. last week I bought bags of pre made and washed salad for $1.00 each bag... I search for sales the best I can tho.. do you have other cheaper stores around you?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    It's the middle of winter. Nothing is in season. Produce prices are always high this time of year. Everything has to be shipped in from different climates or from giant warehouse greenhouses or from giant warehouse greenhouses in different climates.
  • I only go to my farmer's market for produce. Prices are unbelievably better. LOVE it.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Honestly.... because of the fear of the prices going up too much to eat anything healthy, we are starting a garden this year. Otherwise we stick to either Farmer's Market, the Health Food Store, or frozen food. My husband and I are working on becoming more self reliant. I know that all the "end of the world" prepping sounds funny but the ability to provide for ourselves when it is way too expensive to eat sometimes is a BIG DEAL.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    I feel your pain. Last week, asparagus was 5.99/lb. When I went shopping on Monday, it was 7.99/lb....And there was not any produce on sale.
  • I know it is winter but I have never seen prices that high... and i work in a grocery store.. also potatoes 10 pound bag last week was $0.95 I guess it is different in Canada?
  • Kurrupt1922
    Kurrupt1922 Posts: 53 Member
    I go shopping weekly for my fruits and veg and it's usually to the farmer's market or walmart.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Look into a food co-op. I participate in Bountiful Baskets but if there aren't any near you, just google co-op or hit up a farmers market. Buying local will keep your cost down and quality up.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Maybe it's time to find someplace new to shop? Where are you located? I haven't experienced anything like that. I just shopped Wednesday and Thursday and I got the following:

Bananas @ .40/lb
    Radishes @ .50/bunch
    Fuji Apples @ .99/lb
    Cucumbers @ .43/ea
    Brussels Sprouts @ .99/lb
    Carrots @ .77/lb
    Blueberries @ .99/6oz container
    Strawberries @ 1.50/lb
    Red and Green Bell Peppers @ .33/ea
    Eggplant @ .99/ea
    Lemons @ .33/each

I didn't buy heads of lettuce, but I remember the Organic Butter Lettuce was $2/head and I bought a 9oz of baby spinach and a 12oz bag of kale for $1.99 each.

Grapes were 1.99/lb but I didn't need any and didn't happen to see zucchini/squash prices since I wasn't shopping for them.
  • paulaspoole
    paulaspoole Posts: 17 Member
    I love our state farmer's market, but this time of year the choices are so limited. Try a warehouse club like Sam's, BJ's, or Costco. I got quite a bit from Sam's this past week not cheap, but reasonable.
  • Honestly.... because of the fear of the prices going up too much to eat anything healthy, we are starting a garden this year. Otherwise we stick to either Farmer's Market, the Health Food Store, or frozen food. My husband and I are working on becoming more self reliant. I know that all the "end of the world" prepping sounds funny but the ability to provide for ourselves when it is way too expensive to eat sometimes is a BIG DEAL.

Agreed!!!
  • grantsmommy
    grantsmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Maybe it's time to find someplace new to shop? Where are you located? I haven't experienced anything like that. I just shopped Wednesday and Thursday and I got the following:

Bananas @ .40/lb
    Radishes @ .50/bunch
    Fuji Apples @ .99/lb
    Cucumbers @ .43/ea
    Brussels Sprouts @ .99/lb
    Carrots @ .77/lb
    Blueberries @ .99/6oz container
    Strawberries @ 1.50/lb
    Red and Green Bell Peppers @ .33/ea
    Eggplant @ .99/ea
    Lemons @ .33/each

I didn't buy heads of lettuce, but I remember the Organic Butter Lettuce was $2/head and I bought a 9oz of baby spinach and a 12oz bag of kale for $1.99 each.

Grapes were 1.99/lb but I didn't need any and didn't happen to see zucchini/squash prices since I wasn't shopping for them.

Holy moly! I would kill for $1.50 strawberries! I got excited yesterday because I was able to score them for $4! lol I'm in Hawaii and everything is mega expensive so the prices from the op don't seem that high to me.
  • Honestly.... because of the fear of the prices going up too much to eat anything healthy, we are starting a garden this year. Otherwise we stick to either Farmer's Market, the Health Food Store, or frozen food. My husband and I are working on becoming more self reliant. I know that all the "end of the world" prepping sounds funny but the ability to provide for ourselves when it is way too expensive to eat sometimes is a BIG DEAL.

Agreed!!!
  • I live in a small town so there's not much in the way of choice. There's Wal-Mart and a locally owned grocery store that sell fresh produce. I really try to buy what I can from the grocery store. I don't generally buy food from Wal-Mart, so I do a lot of canned and frozen veggies (mostly frozen, only canned I do is green beans).. I have to own up to enjoying using the frozen because of the ease of prep for cooking *cut open bag TADA!*
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Holy moly! I would kill for $1.50 strawberries! I got excited yesterday because I was able to score them for $4! lol I'm in Hawaii and everything is mega expensive so the prices from the op don't seem that high to me.

Ouch, I feel your pain. I was in Hawaii for the first time last Spring and I was floored at how expensive everything is there. Packaged foods to fresh, it was all super expensive. And I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I'm usually used to seeing lower prices places. heh

The worst part was when I got back home and realized that the stores around here that carry Hawaiian products sell them cheaper than I saw them while actually in Hawaii. Which means that part of the pricing in Hawaii is just marking stuff up because they can. More power to any one that lives there and deals with those prices!!
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    I'm in Illinois and nothing has ever been that high here either. I almost just put my cart back and left. LOL We only have farmer's markets in the summer so I'm out on that and Aldi's is here but I hate grocery shopping and having to go to more than one place just about drives me nuts! Guess I'm gonna have to suck it up. Would love to plant a garden but I'm right behind a state park full of deer and I'm not feeding them!