SORE MUSCLES???

My muscles are really sore, I don't want to give up because this time, FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!

I have kept going to the gym to try to work through the pain. But at night when I am relaxed they seem to be very crampy.

I really need some help on what to do to get me through this.

Replies

• mypal1
    mypal1 Posts: 21
    My muscles are really sore, I don't want to give up because this time, FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!

I have kept going to the gym to try to work through the pain. But at night when I am relaxed they seem to be very crampy.

I really need some help on what to do to get me through this.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Your muscles are getting a great workout.
    It will get easier for you... I promise!!
    Stick to it!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Don't push too hard too fast--you can injure yourself that way. If need be, take a day rest. I've always heard, too, that you should work the same muscles every day but alternate parts of the body.

Meanwhile, Ben-Gay or something similar works wonders!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I found that alot of water, and stretching throughout the day after a workout helps too, other than that I just work through the pain (being sore)
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    I found that alot of water, and stretching throughout the day after a workout helps too, other than that I just work through the pain (being sore)

Very true.

Just know that eventually you won't be sore anymore. It just takes time. That soreness is your body rebuilding and becoming stronger. Personally, I love to be a little sore, it makes me feel like I have accomplished something. :wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Lots of water, stretching and if you are cramping eat bananas! Make sure to give your body a rest, if you are doing cardio only give your body a rest every 3 days or so, if you are also doing weights you need to give your body a break for about 36-48 hours inbetween weight training sessions.

OUr bodies are amazing things, they adjust to new things very easily and sometimes doing the same thing but pushing a little harder or doing a few extra reps you will find yourself mildly sore the next day, it is your bodies way or telling you that your efforts are forcing change!

Keep it up, you are worth it, and the soreness will ease with time!
    :wink:
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Soreness in your muscles after a workout is OK, pain is not. Remember to rest your muscles for at least a day after a workout so that they can recover. The initial soreness can last a week or so but should subside slowly. If you want to lift everyday then you must alternate body parts arms one day legs the next. But not more than 2 or 3 days in a row.

Always stretch and warm up prior to lifting and then stretch and cool down after.

Congrats on the super workout.
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Your muscles will get used to it and in a few days/weeks wont hurt any more. Unless of course you want them to. When my leg work outs stop hurting the day after i pump up the volume.

A daily dose of some pain med (aleve for me) keeps the worst of the pain in check. In the mean time just try to get to a place where your brain enjoys the work outs and your body will follow.
  • mypal1
    mypal1 Posts: 21
    Just got back from the Y I did it, worked through another painful session. Decided to get into the spa afterwards to try to soothe some of the aches.

Thanks for the encouragement, It's time for the change thats why failure is not an option.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Woohoo!! If you are willing, take a couple of advil (chiefiron recommended aleve and that works for me, too) and they will work wonders. It will help you through this short term adjustment. Good for you for your positive attitude! The spa sounds great.......:flowerforyou:
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    water, water, water:flowerforyou: