Strengthen Shoulders?

jill927
jill927 Posts: 471 Member
Hey guys! I need help! My summer job is working in a paper mill, and it's a lot of lifting/pulling/pushing/shoving/use-your-weight-to-stop-spinning-roll/use-this-60-lb-pneumatic-drill-over-your-head...etc.

anyways, i'm pretty sure I strained my rotator cuff in at least one of my shoulders already and it's only the beginning of june!

Does anyone know some easy moves to strengthen/rehab a shoulder? I'm hoping to strengthen them up so as to prevent any further injury, as this summer job pays for school and I need it desperately....... I can't afford to be hurt!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• jill927
    Hey guys! I need help! My summer job is working in a paper mill, and it's a lot of lifting/pulling/pushing/shoving/use-your-weight-to-stop-spinning-roll/use-this-60-lb-pneumatic-drill-over-your-head...etc.

anyways, i'm pretty sure I strained my rotator cuff in at least one of my shoulders already and it's only the beginning of june!

Does anyone know some easy moves to strengthen/rehab a shoulder? I'm hoping to strengthen them up so as to prevent any further injury, as this summer job pays for school and I need it desperately....... I can't afford to be hurt!

Thanks guys!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    I have been doing this exercise i found from a body builders web blog.

Take a broom stick or something longer ( i use a pvc pipe up to my chest 60" maybe, a friend and Tai Chi expert uses a small towel) Hold the ends in each hand and raise the bar up and over your head and all the way down to your back trying to keep your arms stright then bring it back up and over...repeat for # of reps.

As your shoulders loosen up move your hands in. I do this 2 sets of 25 6 days a week. on upper body work out days i do it before i lift.

Look up Rotator cuff injuries on bodybuilding.com there are many good exercises and info all over the web but that is the one i found i like the best.....seems to be working too.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    I injured my rotator cuff a few times when I was a swimmer. Here's how I healed it and strengthened it:

1. While it's in pain, ice it! Use a bag of frozen peas if you don't have an ice bag available. Keep the ice pack on for at least 10 minutes, two or three times a day. And DON"T USE IT until it's free of pain.

2. To strengthen your rotator cuff, there are a few good exercises you can do. Rather than explaining them in words, I looked them up on Google. I always did Exercises 2 and 3 shown in this website.
    Exercise 1 also looks pretty doable, but I'd stay away from Exercise 4. It looks kind of complicated.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html

Don't ever go above 2 pound weights for any of these exercises. I know it says to start with 2 ounces - but you can probably start with a small can (i.e. tuna). Good luck, and don't forget to ice it while it hurts!
  • jill927
    thanks guys!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Thanks for the post and the responses...I have a left shoulder issue as well and wouldn't have thought about these strengthening tips if I had not read this post.

When I dance my "snake arms" get painful in the shoulder and these tips sound like they will be most helpful!