Which to believe?

I have been walking for about two months now for half an hour on my lunch break. I keep track of my time and I walk to a landmark (two cross streets or someones address) and I map it on google when I get back to see how far I walk. This also helps me figure out my pace, (if I walked 1.4 miles in half an hour I was doing about a 2.8 MPH pace). Well I just recently found my pedometer that I have never used since it got lost due to moving so I used it today. Google says I walked 1.6 miles and therefore MFP says I burned around 176 calories which may even be shooting a little high since I put in that I walked a 3.5 MPG pace when it was probably closer to 3.20. My pedometer says I walked 2.07 miles and burned 217 calories.

I'm not too worried about not inputing the wrong amount of calories and therefore not eating enough and going into starvation mode, but I would like to know which one to trust. It is a pretty nice pedometer, I think it was around $30 which was one of if not the most expensive one and it makes you input your weight and length of stride. The only reason I think the pedometer could be wrong is that I used the default length of stride since I am at work and don't really feel like everyone asking me why I am measuring my steps. So I will do that when I get home and make sure the input is correct, but assuming it is, which one should I trust?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I have been walking for about two months now for half an hour on my lunch break. I keep track of my time and I walk to a landmark (two cross streets or someones address) and I map it on google when I get back to see how far I walk. This also helps me figure out my pace, (if I walked 1.4 miles in half an hour I was doing about a 2.8 MPH pace). Well I just recently found my pedometer that I have never used since it got lost due to moving so I used it today. Google says I walked 1.6 miles and therefore MFP says I burned around 176 calories which may even be shooting a little high since I put in that I walked a 3.5 MPG pace when it was probably closer to 3.20. My pedometer says I walked 2.07 miles and burned 217 calories.

I'm not too worried about not inputing the wrong amount of calories and therefore not eating enough and going into starvation mode, but I would like to know which one to trust. It is a pretty nice pedometer, I think it was around $30 which was one of if not the most expensive one and it makes you input your weight and length of stride. The only reason I think the pedometer could be wrong is that I used the default length of stride since I am at work and don't really feel like everyone asking me why I am measuring my steps. So I will do that when I get home and make sure the input is correct, but assuming it is, which one should I trust?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Google + mfp. If you were walking at 4+ mph, you'd notice - and it would be a huge difference from walking at 2.8 mph. If your pedometer is like mine, it will count certain "steps" that aren't steps (shifting your weight and giggle). Does your pedometer have a "giggle" setting? Mine has a + - setting for the amount of giggle in your walk. I have lots of giggle, so mine is at the lowest setting. You have to count a hundred steps and compare with the pedometer. Hope that helps.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    google is probably right, I would not depend on your pedometer unless you have input your own stride length. that makes a big difference, if nothing else, set your stride and do the same thing tommorow, and see how it compares.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Until you input your correct length of stride, you should probably use Google maps.

Even better, be a heart rate monitor and go with what it says.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    You and google, and this is why...
    When you are walking your path you are not on a flat surface, You are going up and down hills.
    Meaning that strides are shorter or longer depending. And you are burning more cals per walk outside then inside for this reason, howerver if mall walking is you thing, GO for it anything is better then doing nothing... I digress...
    Your Pedometer only calculates each set of two steps. One left and one right, as to the length of stride that you put in.
    An example of this is stair climbing with a pedometer on.
    Pedometer will count it as a walking pace, not as a stair climbing pace which is more calories then a walking pace. About double.
    --Diann...
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Darn, I was hoping you all would say the pedometer. :laugh: Thanks for the input!