short studies by medical journals. These medical journals even indicated
that more research should be conducted on 5-HTP before any claims were made
regarding the effects on sleep patterns or weight loss. Doctor Oz, as it
appears is not ready to wait for scientific proof. He does need talk show
material, after all.
Get ready; I can foresee a plethora of new forum topics titled "Using 5 -HTP
when will I drop the weight" Using 5-HTP and stomach upset. Please Help"
and of course "Does 5-HTP work?" New fad diet will be out, soon. Get
your answers prepared, you're going to see here. Good luck!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I'm pretty sure he owns GNC, or at least a big chunk of stock in it. :frown:
  • sweetjrl
    sweetjrl Posts: 2 Member
    I used 5-HTP as an alternative to anti-depressants for a while, I definitely noticed that I had less anxiety and seemed happier and it got me back to a good place with out developing a dependency. For a while it seemed my appetite was suppressed also, but the longer I took it, the less and less it seemed to suppress it. I certainly didn't notice any weight loss from it. Overall...I don't think it will aid anyone in weight loss and depending on the brand, you'll get some very vivid and crazy dreams.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    LOL He may have stock in GNC for sure.

Also, If it suppressed your appetite for a moment he will sell everyone on it!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I used to have a big crush on Doc Oz. But now I am ashamed for him. He is really losing credibility talking about all these different supplements all the time. He needs to have a supplement segment to his show and couch it as an informational few minutes on the newest stuff out there. However..the way he does it now is a real shame.
  • sppride
    sppride Posts: 15 Member
    My friend took hydroxy cut - and it shut down his kidneys. So not sure if this is related. Tryptophan sounds like the calming chemical in turkey they talk about that makes us sleepy on thanksgiving.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    It won't matter how much we prepare for a response here and we'll just be bullies if we say it isn't the way to go.
  • darjeff
    darjeff Posts: 15 Member
    I've been using 5HTP for years. Never found it suppressed my appetite. I use it to help with stress management and sleeping. No vivid or crazy dreams unfortunately! Works like a charm for me ... for what it is supposed to do. It is not meant to be a diet aid.
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    I feel bad for all the people who try all these things to lose weight. I know I have tried countless things over the past 15 years and I think we need to do our bodies a favor and do it right. Eat healthier and some form of exercise.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I remember people used to take this after rolling on ecstasy the night before
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    And I can't touch this stuff: i used it for anti-depressant and suffered horribly on it. If you are sensitive to your body's serotonin levels, this is not the stuff to mess with. I warned my husband that I was taking this and to keep an eye on my behavior and sure enough, within 2 weeks he made me stop. I know what my behavior was like, but wasn't in enough control to put 2 + 2 together.

This is also why I had to stop the SamE for my joints - it helped but I suffered the same mental side effects as 5HTP.

I can foresee alot of people having problems using this for "weight-loss" - they won't know about the possible mental side effects that it can cause.

Dr Oz needs to go away :noway:

PS: these was just my experience w/ the stuff - I tried it as others recommend it and it did help them. I have learned the hard way NOT to mess w/ my serotonin or dopamine levels the (very) hard way.
  • mathildapops
    mathildapops Posts: 39 Member
    I've been using 5HTP for years. Never found it suppressed my appetite. I use it to help with stress management and sleeping. No vivid or crazy dreams unfortunately! Works like a charm for me ... for what it is supposed to do. It is not meant to be a diet aid.
    Same here, I use it as a sleep aid and for stress. I would advise people to really research it though before taking it, it can have a lot of side effects and certainly isn't for everyone. I'm fine with it on a low dose but my mum and friend both had horrible experiences with it.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    I'm sorry! I really wish people did more research before they just put something in their body that could harm them, just because the TV said to take it.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    I took that stuff 12 years ago but it wasn't for weight loss. how does he figure it is a weight loss aid?
  • minniemichele
    minniemichele Posts: 5 Member
    And I can't touch this stuff: i used it for anti-depressant and suffered horribly on it. If you are sensitive to your body's serotonin levels, this is not the stuff to mess with. I warned my husband that I was taking this and to keep an eye on my behavior and sure enough, within 2 weeks he made me stop. I know what my behavior was like, but wasn't in enough control to put 2 + 2 together.

This is also why I had to stop the SamE for my joints - it helped but I suffered the same mental side effects as 5HTP.

I can foresee alot of people having problems using this for "weight-loss" - they won't know about the possible mental side effects that it can cause.

Dr Oz needs to go away :noway:

PS: these was just my experience w/ the stuff - I tried it as others recommend it and it did help them. I have learned the hard way NOT to mess w/ my serotonin or dopamine levels the (very) hard way.

this shows just what other posters mentioned, you must research before you use supplements. i do use both 5-htp and sam-e for my fibromyalgia and would not live without them. the prescription alternatives suck (for me) but these do help me to have a livable level of pain. i have also started exercising again and i am finally beginning to feel like myself again.

Research....it is your body!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I take it instead of anti depressants and I haven't had any problem with it. I talked to a friend (doctor) about it and he said if it worked for me why not take it? I use it mostly in the wintertime and when I have problems and not all the time and yes I researched it before I took it..I used to be on Zoloft and it now they are warning about birth defects. I rather take something that is natural . instead of some chemical compound, that might be approved by the FDA and ends up 6 month later on a commercial for a tort settlement. Now I'm not so sure about the appetite suppressant but I sure am in a better mood when I take it .
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I remember people used to take this after rolling on ecstasy the night before

^ don't forget the orange juice.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Wow that's scary...I take it because it helps me with my SAD (seasonal affective disorder) along with St. John's wort. But before I even sought to use it I read a lot of warnings about how people who are taking anti-depressants should NOT take this. It could be a very dangerous combination.

Just because it's natural does not mean it's safe.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Why anyone would want to mess with their brain chemistry is baffling.

I lose more and more respect for Dr. Oz with each magic pill.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    I a=have known about 5HTP for a few years. I HATE that he is endorsing it.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Oz is such a quack. Didnt he also push Sensa??? He is pushing so many people into spending their hard earned money for the magic pill. Its called diet and exercise my friends!!!!!