My bike + climbing = success!

Options
Today was fantastic. My husband and I have been coming to Monterey for the past 9 yrs. We love to take a week, at least 3 to 4 times a year and devote the week to riding. Monterey is one of our favorite spots to ride. We usually do the 17 mile drive up to Carmel, but today I was in a for a treat!

My husband decided to take us around, what I call, the back side of the 17 mile ride. I've only heard him speak of it, but we have never gone that route or I should say, he has, but not with me...Ok! shrug.gif
By the time we got to the fork in the road, to either go to the Carmel gate or continue along the 17 mile drive, we had already gotten a good 19 miles or so in. This is when it happens, my hubby points to the left fork...yes, the back side of the 17 mile drive. OMG what else can I say??? I never expected what was to come.

We have done some pretty crazy inclines, like our 22 mile continuous incline in Ventura last year...HOLY COW!!! I always love to think I'm in shape, but it's tests ones mental and physical state...thats for sure!
Did I mention how easy those inclines look in a car LOL!

There was so many steep inclines today. Around 5% to 10% that would last a few miles at a time.
I thought I was going to die, but I wasn't going to give in, noway, nohow. I just kept saying to myself, if Lance can do it so can I LMAO!!! rofl3.gif
Yes I thought that was funny to compare myself to the greatest there will ever be hahaha!

Our ride ended up being only 41 miles, but it was more quality over quantity ride... to say the least.
It was such a perfect day too. There was very little tourists and not many cars on the drive....what more could we ask for.
I can't wait to go again tomorrow. woohoo.gif

Kel~ rennrad.gif

Replies

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Today was fantastic. My husband and I have been coming to Monterey for the past 9 yrs. We love to take a week, at least 3 to 4 times a year and devote the week to riding. Monterey is one of our favorite spots to ride. We usually do the 17 mile drive up to Carmel, but today I was in a for a treat!

My husband decided to take us around, what I call, the back side of the 17 mile ride. I've only heard him speak of it, but we have never gone that route or I should say, he has, but not with me...Ok! shrug.gif
    By the time we got to the fork in the road, to either go to the Carmel gate or continue along the 17 mile drive, we had already gotten a good 19 miles or so in. This is when it happens, my hubby points to the left fork...yes, the back side of the 17 mile drive. OMG what else can I say??? I never expected what was to come.

We have done some pretty crazy inclines, like our 22 mile continuous incline in Ventura last year...HOLY COW!!! I always love to think I'm in shape, but it's tests ones mental and physical state...thats for sure!
    Did I mention how easy those inclines look in a car LOL!

There was so many steep inclines today. Around 5% to 10% that would last a few miles at a time.
    I thought I was going to die, but I wasn't going to give in, noway, nohow. I just kept saying to myself, if Lance can do it so can I LMAO!!! rofl3.gif
    Yes I thought that was funny to compare myself to the greatest there will ever be hahaha!

Our ride ended up being only 41 miles, but it was more quality over quantity ride... to say the least.
    It was such a perfect day too. There was very little tourists and not many cars on the drive....what more could we ask for.
    I can't wait to go again tomorrow. woohoo.gif

Kel~ rennrad.gif
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow! Well I'm impressed thats for sure! I couldn't even imagine going 41 miles, up hills. Way to go!!!
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing. I am terribly at biking, so I'm impressed.

My boyfriend and I leave for a 2 week road trip next week and we're hitting the Monterey/Carmel area. Maybe we should try hiking somewhere around there instead of biking :)
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    I forgot to mention...
    HOW MUCH FUN and SCARY THE DOWN HILLS were!!!!

My husband and I have a joke about drive our beast gas guzzling Tahoe.
    Whenever we coast down hills, he always says, FREE GAS!!!
    So today when I was hauling butt down the hills going at speeds around 27 mph (I was scared)smiley-faces-28.gif LOL!
    I would yell...
    FREE GAS!!! It was too funny! if anyone heard me they were probably thinking I was a
    wierdo...hahhaha! LOVED IT!!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing. I am terribly at biking, so I'm impressed.

My boyfriend and I leave for a 2 week road trip next week and we're hitting the Monterey/Carmel area. Maybe we should try hiking somewhere around there instead of biking :)

Oh yes...we are going to Big Sur on Wednesday to hike! I have never realized how many trails and state parks there were up there.
    I'm excited about finding the McWay Falls. They look gorgeous. I'll keep you posted on what we find!
    Have you ever been to Monterey/Carmel? It's fantastic!