I Feel Terrible...Absolutely Terrible

This last week was great for me. I exercised to Turbo Fire and Insanity everyday. I stayed within my calorie range as well. I also increased my water intake. I was feeling pretty good. I also had had a good weight check on Friday morning.

And then.....Friday night hit. I ate 2 cans of mixed nuts, a box of Little Debbie peanut butter and chocolate Nutty Bars, a package of Nutter Butters, and 6 string cheese sticks (that was because my stomach needed something to cut the sweets). I vowed to have a better day tomorrow.

And then....I woke up this morning, and continued to eat. I was not even hungry. I ate 2 boxes of Nutri-Grain bars.

And now....I feel terrible. I not only feel physically sick, I feel emotionally sick. I am so so embarrassed and disappointed. These words do not even begin to describe how deeply I am feeling these emotions. I feel like a failure. I feel like I undid all of the work I had done this week.

Replies

• tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    You need to get to the root of why you're eating like that. Are you doing this alone? Also, when you started this process, why did you allow all of that JUNK to stay in your house!? You need to rid yourself of anything that would be temptation for you. Also, did you track those calories? Seeing all those numbers should be a reality check for you! All the work you did last week...it's gone now.

Start over.

However, I kinda wonder if this isn't a troll thread.
  • I know exactly how you feel. started the day well with a body pump class then I haven't stopped eating since. feel physically sick and totally disappointed in myself. I had been so good all week!
    Just have to write today off and carry on tomorrow (hopefully).
    Don;t beat yourself up too much. it happens to the best of us.
    Good luck for the next week.
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    I know how you feel, I've just had the exact same week, all good and then today, bam, ate everything in site. 2 honey sandwiches, 2 packets of quavers, some malteasers, a mcdonalds and 5 choclate digestives. I'm supposed to be heading out tonight but I dont think I'll fit into my top now because I'm so bloated, so I'm sipping on water to try and wash the s**t away.

On the brightside this is only a blip in our journeys and tomorrow we will learn from our mistake and continue on.

Good luck
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    if it's not a troll... it might be a hormonal or chemical problem.. or a substance abuse issue.
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    thats a bad day no point in lying, but you can obviously see that yourself so theres your first right move. discussing it and letting others in by posting thats your second good move so dont be to hard on yourself. its not easy to stop returning to something you have always depended upon to assist in your moods so its only natural that your going to slip every now and then.

theres always tommorow, keep the faith.

:wink:
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Hi,
    I saw somewhere with an analogy that might help you get through this. The idea is that for some reason, we treat mess ups in our diet different than mess ups other places in our lives. Think about this....

If you got into a minor fender bender accident, would you then drive around the rest of the day disobeying all traffic laws????

If you spilled wine on your white shirt, would you then proceed to dump the rest of the bottle all over yourself???? (Would be funny if you did, but we don't do that)

I thought it was a funny way to think about how we sometimes use a mess up to sabotage our diets. You will be fine. Nothing is perfect all of the time, right!
  • if it's not a troll... it might be a hormonal or chemical problem.. or a substance abuse issue.

good for you that you've never had an eating issue - doesn't mean there's something wrong with us.
  • Young28
    Young28 Posts: 57 Member
    Are you getting in the right kind of food, so that you are not craving junk? I am a junk food craver myself....and I have noticed that if i fill myself up with food, i dont crave junk as much. Dont beat yourslef up too bad, just as long as you pick yourself up and try again everything will be okay. Maybe you should rid your house of all the goodies that tempt you and it will make it more complicated to snack like that. If you have been depriving yourself of all snacks for days.....one snack will make you go overboard like you did. Maybe you should indulge in one sweet snack per day.....not too far over your caloric intake though ;-)
  • kimcalica
    Hi,
    I saw somewhere with an analogy that might help you get through this. The idea is that for some reason, we treat mess ups in our diet different than mess ups other places in our lives. Think about this....

If you got into a minor fender bender accident, would you then drive around the rest of the day disobeying all traffic laws????

If you spilled wine on your white shirt, would you then proceed to dump the rest of the bottle all over yourself???? (Would be funny if you did, but we don't do that)
    che
    I thought it was a funny way to think about how we sometimes use a mess up to sabotage our diets. You will be fine. Nothing is perfect all of the time, right!

i like this but, in a lot of cases, when people get in too deep, they are compelled to finish the job. these people are usually chemically imbalanced. like if a guy wants to rob a bank and pulls a gun out in the bank, but has second thoughts, but decides instead of running out of the bank to save his skin, "I've already gone this far" and then just goes with it. kinda like that.
  • if it's not a troll... it might be a hormonal or chemical problem.. or a substance abuse issue.

good for you that you've never had an eating issue - doesn't mean there's something wrong with us.

You are wrong, eating to that extent is a problem, and something is desperately wrong. Seeking professional help should be the next step.
  • kimcalica
    if it's not a troll... it might be a hormonal or chemical problem.. or a substance abuse issue.

[/q

this is laughable.. you don't know me. i've been here before.
  • kimcalica

You are wrong, eating to that extent is a problem, and something is desperately wrong. Seeking professional help should be the next step.

how can you say that i am wrong one minute,, and say that they need professional help the next? saying they possibly have a chemical or hormonal issue is a problem that someone should seek professional help for.. also substance abuse.. a lot of the time, when someone drinks or smokes weed, they can't resist temptation.. it's a huge problem for some people.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    A couple of things...

First off, if this is common for you, I'd suggest seeing a counselor if possible. There is almost always a deeper emotional issue when it comes to binge eating like that. If you don't get to the root of it, it's not going to stop. If this happens often enough it could even be BED (Binge Eating Disorder), which can get VERY serious. I'm not saying you're disordered, I'm just saying checking into it may be a good option just to be safe.

My other thought is that maybe you're hitting the healthy lifestyle too hard and your body is rebelling against you, so to speak. You said you exercise to Insanity AND Turbofire every day. That's super intense! If you do both every day you're probably burning well over 1000 calories. I haven't looked at your diary, but if your'e being really strict with healthy foods on top of that, you're bound to go crazy after a week or so and eat everything in sight. I know when I have weeks where I'm really strict with myself it almost ALWAYS backfires into a junk food binge. Everything in moderation. Maybe tone down the exercise just a bit, and allow yourself a small treat every day. If you're constantly keeping yourself satisfied and not deprived, the urge to binge should lessen quite a bit!

how can you say that i am wrong one minute,, and say that they need professional help the next? saying they possibly have a chemical or hormonal issue is a problem that someone should seek professional help for.. also substance abuse.. a lot of the time, when someone drinks or smokes weed, they can't resist temptation.. it's a huge problem for some people.

I should have been more clear, I was saying that whomever said "good for you......" is wrong
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Change the things you have to eat in your house. Get rid of all the junk. Replace with plant-based foods. Frozen grapes are an AWESOME snack because you cannot pound them like a lot of stuff and they're filling. Cherry tomatoes, bananas, oranges, etc. I HATE eating celery but chop it up and mix it in with a 1/2C of vanilla yogurt and 1TBSP of peanut butter and I guarantee you'll eat it! Carrots? Make hot carrots. There are many ways around it but if you have things to munch on that are not processed foods, it will help immensely!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member

This just made my day, lol
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    You stated you ate within your calories - but did you include your exercise into your plan? If you didn't, your body most likely was desperate for nutrition and it made you want food. Basically, if you're going to exercise like that, be sure to enter it and eat back your calories so you don't binge. MFP already sets you at a deficit, so be sure to eat what you're body needs. I started weight lifting and didn't realize that was going to make my body react differently and decided to do maintenance for a pair of weeks...muscle pains vanished once I started eating my calories. I suspect sometimes we do a ton of exercise and we're still not quite hitting what our body needs to function.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    You need to get to the root of why you're eating like that. Are you doing this alone? Also, when you started this process, why did you allow all of that JUNK to stay in your house!? You need to rid yourself of anything that would be temptation for you. Also, did you track those calories? Seeing all those numbers should be a reality check for you! All the work you did last week...it's gone now.

Start over.

However, I kinda wonder if this isn't a troll thread.

agree ^
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    I'm so sorry you had a bad day and a half. I've been there myself many times.
    My only advice is to not wait until tomorrow to get back on track. Start now. No more junk for the rest of the day. Have a nice salad or stir fry veggies for dinner, and go take a walk.
    You can do it! Don't get too down on yourself. Remember, it doesn't matter how many times you fall down, it only matters how many times you get back up.
  • kimcalica
    Change the things you have to eat in your house. Get rid of all the junk. Replace with plant-based foods. Frozen grapes are an AWESOME snack because you cannot pound them like a lot of stuff and they're filling. Cherry tomatoes, bananas, oranges, etc. I HATE eating celery but chop it up and mix it in with a 1/2C of vanilla yogurt and 1TBSP of peanut butter and I guarantee you'll eat it! Carrots? Make hot carrots. There are many ways around it but if you have things to munch on that are not processed foods, it will help immensely!

this is right on.. why do you have little debbie snacks in the house? if you have these problems, best to purge the house of all unhealthy food. I call it "hacking myself" like a computer... get in front of the problem so you don't screw yourself.. use anticipatory ability! if you think you're going to do something wrong, pull strings to make it a pain in the *kitten* for you so you won't be as likely to do it. or at least you'll think twice before doing it.