Teacher support Group

1192021222325»

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I'm here to help, but I wasn't really joking. "I'm not a mental health professional, but I did sleep with one last night".

Read: http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_with_oppositional_defiant_disorder

Yeah, I know, everything's a mental health issue nowadays. In the old days they'd just beat it outta them, but that's not the world we live in anymore. Strategies here, but it sounds like you're doing the best you can.

Some people are just @--holes, and you don't have to be an adult to be one,,,
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I don't know why they feel the need to keep bringing us bagels, cinnamon rolls, and those giant muffins. I've just learned to say no most of the time or just eat 1/4th of something and put it in my food log. It is really tough but I know now that I can't indulge every time they bring yummy food and I absolutely can't eat the school lunches.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    I know what you mean about the school lunches. I think that is what has killed me over the past month. I just didn't have time to make my own lunch every day.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    We can buy a small salad at school, but I think it's really over priced.
    My hubby grills chicken breasts for me on the weekend when we're cooking anyway. Then I cut up raw veggies so that each day I take celery, cukes, red pepper slices & chicken. I usually eat it cold, but you could heat up the chicken if you want. Sometimes I add a string cheese or an apple or pear or some crackers.
    That keeps me going so that I'm not starving when I get home. If I'm too hungry when I arrive, then I start prowling & over do before dinner.
  • LifesPilgrim
    I've gotten to where I have a protein shake mid-afternoon or just before I leave school. It's usually just enough to tie me over to supper. I usually leave school at 4:30 and we eat supper about 6:30.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    4 days with students left! Woohoo! :bigsmile: Then 9 days of work days/ in-service.:ohwell: At least I can get some sorting and other work done! I hope everyone's end of year is going well!:flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    H@ly m@ly! :noway:
    9 days of inservice?????
    That's cruel & unusual! :wink:
    :laugh:
    But the 4 days left with students sounds pretty good, though. We still have 3 weeks.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    LOL! A good chunk of those 9 days are supposed to be "work" days.:tongue: I'm hoping they stick with that. I have about 3 months worth of work to do! Having 9 of those days paid will be nice.:bigsmile:

I sure hope your kiddos are behaving better than mine have been for the last couple weeks!:flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    I'm not playing the same game you school marms are, but I'm having fun too. I teach motorcycle classes for the state - mostly adults, some high-schoolers, and my season is just getting started. I had a lady in class a couple weeks back who was 67 years old. Her last motorcycle was a 1956 Harley KH, and she quit riding in the early 70's when her kids came along. Great lady, she did very well. Cutie too,,, :tongue:

Teachers - if you have students who want to ride motorcycles, please send them to guys/gals like me to learn to ride properly. Just tell 'em to google "(your state) motorcycle safety program". Every state offers solid Motorcycle Safety Foundation backed instruction at a reasonable fee. Many states require it for riders under 18 to get a license. Send em in!

BTW - I get your kids in a different setting. I often get 1 or 2 high schoolers in my class, along with 10 or 11 adults. When I get 'em they're sitting next to fellow students old enough to be their P's or even GrandP's. Maybe it's the peer pressure, maybe it's the amazement of being in a situation where they're a peer to a 50 year old (and for some of them it's the first time I'm sure),,, but almost without fail they are great. Very grown-up, very decent, kind, nice people. Kids are great if you can just get 'em away from other kids!
  • CasperO
    Here's how my class weekends work:

The class is the "Motorcycle Safety Foundation - Basic Rider Course",,, aka the "MSF-BRC". I do a lot of "double class" weekends. So here's how this goes.

Friday night my partner and I will teach a 4 hour classroom session. We will have 24 students in a classroom session, going through material, watching some video training aids, asking & answering questions. How to operate the motorcycle, risk awareness & management, traffic strategy. Good stuff.

Then each day of the weekend we will do 2 range sessions. So saturday morning we arrive at the training site at 7am and break out 14 or 15 little 250cc motorcycles. Check 'em out, get the 12 students in the morning session signed in & geared up, hopefully start class 7:30-ish. Work with these guys about 5 hours, walking about 6 miles around the lot moving orange cones. Hopefully have those guys outta there by 12:30.

Grab a quick bite and get ready for the 12 students of the afternoon class. Hope to start 'em up around 1:00, do the same class, get 'em done 6'ish. Then put away all the wee bikes, lock the doors and GTFOuttaDodge 7'ish.

Sunday is pretty much the same, but with a riding test at the end of the riding session. If they pass they get their moto-licenses, so it's a little stressful for them. We do our best to keep it fun and light, but folks have a way of stressing. Most of them don't need to worry. If you pay attention and work at it a little and 'get' the skills we're teaching, then the test is easy. About 93% of my people pass their exam.

After the last sunday session we gas up the bikes and put them away and head for home. With the ride home it winds up being a 14 or 15 hour day.

Lot of work, lots of fun. I gotta say, the look on a 54yo lady's face when she ride a moto for the first time is better than priceless, one of the great joys of my life. The look on her 'experienced rider' husband's face when she gets a better test score than he did is even better. "She listened and learned to brake properly - you didn't - she rode better, sorry". :-)

So that's my weekend. It's a long couple days, and when I was heavy it was really REALLY hard on me. That's one of the reasons I googled "free calorie diary", found MFP and changed my life. So glad I did.

So - how many calories you figger this burns? :-P (I just log 4 hours of slow walking each day, and I guess that's probably pretty close).
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    :happy: :happy: Sing with me...."summertime, summertime, sum-sum-summertime, summertiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!" Bring it on summer! :happy: :happy:
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    ok so the end of the school year is near, 25 school days, but who is counting. And, I could not be happier... HOWEVER, it is bittersweet. I am absolutely dreading trying to stay on track once the final bell rings. Staying on track for me at school is easy. The bell rings...eat breakfast. The bell rings...snack time. The bell rings... lunch. I drink a ton of water when I am at school without even thinking about it. It is so much harder for me to be disciplined when I am at home with my two little ones.

Anyone else worried about this?
  • CasperO
    You could install a bell at home! Alarm clocks are cheap, get 7 or 8 or them and set them to go off at the appropriate times and,,, :laugh:
  • LifesPilgrim
    15 Days and counting for me. Getting another new principal again next year. Rumor mill running crazy right now.
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Wow! I am relatively new to MFP, and am so excited to have found this thread!! I am an SLP for our small rural school district. We have only 7 more student days. Yippee!!!!

dmags - I'm right with you on this one! I am extremely nervous about that aspect of the summer. I don't function well without a schedule. :embarassed: Would love to hear any suggestions!
  • LifesPilgrim
    I find that if I plan all my meals and snack ahead of time and then just stick with it, I do a lot better. The trick is, STICKING TO THE PLAN!!!

I also make a detailed to do list so I can keep my mind off of food and focused.
  • Georg
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    5 days left!!!!!!!!!!!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LifesPilgrim
    WWWHHAAATTTT!!!! No hours, minutes, and seconds??? :tongue:
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Hello!!

I don't mean any harm by bringing up an older thread. I hope I am not causing any issues!
    Now, as to WHY I am reviving what I think Pals call a "zombie thread"....:

Today was my second day as a paraeducator and lunch/recess hour aide. This is my first time doing a job like this (and one of my first paid jobs ever), and, although I know it will take a lot of learning and "getting the hang of it", I must say that I am already feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm having a tough time figuring out how to adjust my schedule so I can fulfill (if not exceed) my duties at the school, but at the same time care for myself.

This is a part-time position (as I am still in school myself!), but I can already feel my energy draining.

I work from 9:30 to 2:00. Then I come home. I have unintentionally practiced a form of intermittent fasting for a few years now (and I want to stick to that routine, as it is best for my digestion and my mind), and, up until today, I have been either going for a 3- to 4- mile walk every morning, or completing an at-least-30-minute exercise workout at home. Physical activity is VITAL to me, and one of my anxieties is that I'm not going to be able to get that same amount of activity with this new job. I'm afraid that if I exercise in the morning, I'll be even more exhausted earlier (and, as you all well know, we need to have PLENTY of energy for these children! - I don't want to pass out or anything awful like that). And by the time I get home, I'm tired - and it's close to the time I usually end up finishing my food intake for the day. But, I am very sensitive to my eating window, so I don't want to disturb my eating schedule either (so, rather than having breakfast and a lunch like most people do, I don't eat a larger meal until the afternoon - which is when I get home from my day job now).
    The best solution (if it is one at all) I can think of is to bring low-calorie snacks with me (that will only take up a very small fraction of my daily calorie needs), along with PLENTY of water with added electrolytes to have on hand just in case I think I need something before I return home. The other issues are that my lunch break is not until the time I get off - 2:00, which is when I go home anyway - and I cannot have certain traditional "snack items" (food sensitivities).

So, I what I'm trying to get at is that I am here to see if anyone is still interested in this "Teacher's support group". (I sure need a lot of advice for not only lifestyle accommodations (i.e. working out, meal prep, etcetera), but also any pointers on how to manage a bunch of high-energy children and make sure everyone is happy!

I'm very sorry to ramble on. I just am feeling a bit discouraged and wanted to reach out for some support.

Whatever the consensus, I pray you all are thriving. (: