WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Replies

• wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Oh, we're on the news because both of my children fell through the ice on a pond last winter and were fortunately rescued by neighbors. Tonight they are doing a segment on ice safety and how to survive falling through ice. They wanted to interview folks who had survived the experience.

It's been really funny how much they have been advertising the upcoming segment. It starts with a close up of my daughter talking about the ice breaking under her feet, then pans around her face, switches to the entire family standing by the pond then on to other things in the segment. But to see my daughter on the screen practically every hour is strange. And I know how these segments go - we may not even show up on the news tonight. We'll see.

When they came on Thursday to interview us I think I and my son bombed out. I didn't say any of the things I wanted to say and my son kept slumping further and further into his chair and barely answered the questions. My daughter was composed and articulate and my husband rocked it!! I will put the link to the segment when it is available. Here is the one from last year. You can see how fat I was at the end of the video when I speak (don't know how they recorded that since they'd already put their cameras away)

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8547134
  • Hi

Thanks for all of the welcomes!!

:flowerforyou: Lucy - what a healthy way to think of the extra food you had recently! That's how I got to goal!! Enjoy the food, pick yourself up and get back on track. No such thing as bad food , just some that is more calorie laden !! :smile:

A fun day to you all

Jo :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Thanks for all of your good wishes for healing. I'm ready to head in and we'll see what we see.

Katla from NW Oregon
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Good Morning Ladies!
    My name is Karla, I'm 51 and live in Cedar Rapids, IA. I am married, have 5 children, 2 sons married, 1 son in College and two kids still at home : daughter-17 and son-almost 14.
    I've been a member for awhile, but just recently have stayed consistent with MFP.
    I've lost close to 30 pounds, but I still have approx 20-25 more that I want to lose. I've been having a little trouble with my losing a little, then gaining it back. After my hysterectomy Oct 2011, I've gained around the middle bulge that I had lost, but can't get rid of again!
    Trying to stay positive and stay on track at the same time. I do fine during the week, but for some reason I have struggles over the weekends, especially on Sundays.
    When it's nice outside you'll see me on the Bike trail every day, I Love it!
    We just recently added a Concept 2 rowing machine to our work out room.
    It's fun, but a lot of work. I have a hard time getting motivated during the winter to work out indoors.
    I'd love to join your group.
    Everyone have a great Monday!
  • KYBETH
    KYBETH Posts: 52
    :smile: Good Monday all.

I am 59 years old. Mother of 3 girls, 28,32,39 years old. Grandmother to 6 grand-daughters, 20,17,14,6,5, and 11 months. Great-grandmaother to 2 boys, 4 and 6 months. I work full-time and go to school full-time.

I was very active until 20 yeqrs ago when I got my first desk job. Gained nearly 65 pounds in 15 years. Have been off and on MFP and diets and exercise programs for the past 5 years. Currently I have lost 30 pounds from my all time high of 203. Need to get rid of 20 more pounds. Trying to loose it in 2013.

January was terrible. Lost 4 of the 5 pounds I packed on over the holidays. Can not seem to get that last pound to melt away.

I try to work out 4 to 5 times per week and I go to a trainer every other week-end. He is helping me to change my free weight routine every two weeks.

February goals - get back to the gym as planned 4 to 6 times per week. start doing yoga every other Saturday morning and drop 3 pounds.
  • Cheryl, that must have been very scary for you and your children. Glad it turned out ok!!! I will be watching for the link to today's segment.

Katla: I'm praying for you and your DH. Praying for God's peace to fill your heart and mind and give you comfort.

Time for lunch here, and then back to work for the afternoon. Have a great afternoon everyone!
  • HRHJoDee
    HRHJoDee Posts: 20 Member
    I lost 8 pounds in January by eliminating sugar-wheat-gluten! I read a book called 'The End of Diabetes' by Dr. Joel Fuhrman because my HbA1c got to 5.5 and my fasting insulin to 9.0 and it was a big wake-up call.

And I am 54, so that puts the lie to the myth you can't lose weight after menopause/as you get older - yeayyyy:)

I ate less than 1200 calories a day, and less than 75 grams of carbs per day, but didn't worry about fat (I did this through having low glycemic veggies, 1/4 cup fresh raspberries, 1/4 cup salted peanuts, eggs, 4 oz. chicken breast and 4 oz. beef carpaccio; with water and iced tea my only beverages.

My portions were small, and even so, if I did get hungry, I had a NuTek Pro5 protein shake and then felt full.

I also exercised 60 minutes a day with a 3 m.p.h. walk around my neighborhood.

It's great that we can motivate and encourage one another!
  • Sherrim56
    Sherrim56 Posts: 10 Member
    Good Morning,
    My name is Sherri and I struggle with losing weight! I am bound and determined to get healthy in 2013. My husband and I have been married for 37 years and I am 56 years old. We have 2 grown children and one grandchild.
    We live in the beautiful mountains of Colorado. I struggle with health issues and your group looks very supportive. I lost 10 pounds las year and than quit tracking with MFP and of course the exercise fell off too. Back to tracking and exercising , in it for the long haul.
    I would love to be a part of your group. :flowerforyou:
  • Cheryl... will be watching, I think I remember kids in our area falling thru the ice....

Ran my Superbowl Shuffle yesterday, 33 minutes, happy with that as there were hills and 20 degrees!!
    I think if I lose another 10-15 lbs. I can break my 30 min. mark on a flat 5k course. That would be huge for me.

Have a great week everybody! Dont trade what looks tempting today for what you really want long term :flowerforyou:
  • Terry from lower Delaware. Recently began working a new job and still attending college, which leaves virtually no time for long workouts. Working night shift puts another crimp into my exercise plans, so I gained 15 pounds. It has been a hard thing to face. I used to be around 300 pounds before and had managed to keep it off until now. Very disheartening and depressing. I'm trying to approach this in an open manner, without beating myself up over it.

So, I plan on working out daily, even if only for 10 minutes; eating healthier, and having 100% accountability.
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Hi Barbie and all,

I am Donna from North Florida. I am 66 years old and weigh 185 pounds, having started at 237 last August. I’ve been using MFP since November. I’ve basically done this by myself, but reading through the posts I feel like joining your journeys. My weight loss has slowed down somewhat, but I’m not doing enough exercise and am not as diligent as I was earlier about eating, although I’m still doing well.

I’m not a goal setter type. I wasn’t sure where I was going when I started this revision of my lifestyle. I just wanted to feel better. I think my goal now may be 30 more pounds that will take me just into the healthy range for my BMI. But 15 more pounds may also be reasonable. That’s why its time to start adding exercise and trying new things.

I still work full time, but from home. I have a grown son who lives in the area and has a serious girlfriend, so is not so much of a loner like his mom.

All that being said, if I had to make up goals for February, I’d try something like this:

1 - try to lose 5 pounds, and start tracking body measurements-not doing that yet;
    2 - do more walking--got myself a Fitbit for Christmas so I know when I’ve goofed off,
    3 - get more sleep;
    4 - continue to eat right and discover a new food and a new recipe this month;
    5 - stay positive and stay in the moment (not enough tomorrows to ignore the todays).

I’ll continue to read through the posts here and “meet” more people. To everyone - we are worth it, and the journey is as important as the goal because the journey is where you learn to live the goal, not just to reach it.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    cheryl from N of chicago - I'm also N of chicago - what time will you be on the news and what's the topic? I'll look for it. Jodi

Just watched the link to the story - how scary! so glad for you that everything turned out okay - what a great neighbor.

FYI - I'm right next door to you in Gurnee.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    My name is Brooke and I live in gorgeous Colorado. I'm 51 and started this weight loss journey at 205 lbs. (OMG!!!!!!). I'd all my life stayed pretty consistent between 128-138 (I'm 5'6"), without really scrutinizing what I ate and not exercising much. However, 4 years ago I became unemployed and quit smoking at the same time (I remember vividly, because my "interview suit" was a size too big and I went out and got a new one - now still in closet with original tags). My prior job had been long hours and high stress, but I also ended up walking a lot (more than I even realized). So I guess the combination of not walking or exercising and perimenopause was a double whammy. I went from a size 8 to 18 in ten months. Stayed in denial/depression I guess until recently, and now I'm determined to get my act together and return to my "fighting weight". Ordered a Zumba and 30 Day Shred DVD last week, as I can't afford a gym right now so will work out at home. I've got a stationary bike, lift dumbbells and walk my dog 2-3miles/day. Still job searching, which can be a downer but trying to remain positive and hopeful to find a position that is the right fit. In the meantime I'm mom to one cat and one dog (no human kids) and married, my husband drives for a living so is gone four days/week which actually makes it easier for me to eat properly LOL!. So that's my story . . . :-)
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    It's Monday Vit F:drinker:

Kate- sounds like you have some really great goals ahead. I love the idea of a mask to greet the people at the in laws anniversary party:wink: Sounds like the dig is turning up so useful stuff...keep digging:laugh:

Jane S- hoping that February you are able to get past that plateau:flowerforyou:

Katla- yep it's about portion control. I have these great serving spoon that are marked with "1 serving" and one scoop is all I get and it really helps keep portions just right and I use my food scale all the time can't do it without them:happy: So sorry to hear that your hubby had a stroke. I know that getting people to the hospital is very important when they have a stroke as my Dad had one when he was 40 and he had symptoms from it the rest of his life. Hoping your hubby recovers soon.:flowerforyou:

Michele- I too remember when I had three teenagers in the house and didn't have to worry about eating the wrong things because they ate everything in sight:noway: of course they didn't gain an ounce so anything sweet was always gone and there were never any leftovers....ahhh the good old days:wink:

Dee Dee- I get my fitness wear at Walmart don't want to spend much on something that won't fit in a few months.:flowerforyou:

Lin-remember when we were kids and using a hula hoop was "Playing" and fun:wink: Now we call it working out :laugh: Glad you were able to work through it.

Barbara Ann- I think we all have that "room" with too much going on in it. Everytime I think I have it conquered something happens and it starts piling up again:blushing: Hoping you are able to get yours under control.

Deb A-hoping you are feeling better soon and able to get back to that exercise:flowerforyou:

Barbie- if I ever stop wanting bread and pasta it will be a miracle.:blushing: Those are my two failings...well that and Mexican food. So I just make them for special occasions

Renny- sorting through photos...how I wish I had the time...I have so many photos that they take up boxes and filing cabinets and since my Dad was a photographer I have all of his too so about 70 yrs worth:noway: to sort and go through....it's gonna be my retirement project...if I ever get to retire:ohwell:

Moxie- sounds like you are making serious progress on your exercise...keep it up:drinker:

Mouth- :flowerforyou: congrats on that new grandbaby:flowerforyou:

Liz-hoping you were able to keep it all under control at the Super Bowl party.:drinker:

Jane-:flowerforyou: hoping your friends lung surgery goes well.

JaneH- a lift:huh: I'd consider one of the neck as it has a tendency to look old quickly...but not sure if I'm really up to having any kind of surgery...I guess I'm a big baby about that. Lunch was wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks for the author reception. One time I saw this guy with a sign and a dog and went back to Walmart bought dog food and returned gave the guy a small bit of money and the dog food..wasn't sure how he was going to feed his dog:ohwell: and wanted to make sure he got feed.

Ohiomom- I've always wanted to visit Washington DC...maybe someday:ohwell:

Mary from TN- I'm sure that we all that "that room" conquering it may be another thing:wink:

Cheryl (Chicago) - Yes Jane & I had lunch on Friday...it was wonderful:drinker: Come to Colorado and join us:flowerforyou:

Karen from Mi- I love wallaby darns:love: When we go to Outback I try to have a few extra calories available so I can have one.

Tammy- how fun to have your daughter and BF show up...I love it when I'm able to have my kids around:flowerforyou:

Lucy- at least you put in 1500 calories....I didn't even do that:blushing: I kept my portions small but still too many calories.

I know I missed some of you but I really do need to get to work just know I'm thinking of all of my Vit F's:love:

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newbies, keep coming back and let us get to know you:flowerforyou:

I made chili for our super bowl party, low carb tortillas for hubby with avacados....but know I ate too much. Thank goodness today is a new day and as always I start my week off right with prescheduled meals and know I can control the food at work. It's those weekends that seem to get me everytime:grumble:

Yesterday I went to put on a new top I'd bought last winter and it was so big :sad: I gave it to one of my DIL's that wears that size not sure if I'm happy about that NSV or not...that just means that there are a lot of other clothes in my closet that are going to be too big and the reason I still have them is because they are clothes that I really like...will let you know what I decide to do when I get the nerve to sort them.

I have lots to get done today as it's the beginning of a new month and way too much to do.

Everyone have a great day....if you eat it log it (I will try to get it into my head that it includes weekends too:blushing: ) log your water it's very important:drinker: and let's keep moving.

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    I didn't watch the Superbowl, as I don't care for football. :ohwell: In fact, Laura told me on Friday who was playing in it! I've always thought it was a great time to shop without crowds, or to get into a restaurant that normally has a long wait. It was shopping this year, instead of eating! Hubby went to a Superbowl party by himself. I did have lunch with my son, who was sporting newly pierced ears (my husband is going to go through the roof!) and a bit of a black eye.

I watched another documentary about juicing last night, called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." It was far more interesting than the title implies. It may be my imagination, but I've felt more clear-headed since my super-smoothie of Saturday night. I'm not nearly as foggy as I often am in the morning.

Katia – I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s stroke, but glad it wasn’t worse after he waited so long to get help. These men are so stubborn about taking care of themselves! Sending wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Michele – My brother lives in Hawaii, so I can tell you that no, they don’t change their clocks.

Cheryl – Yes, Laura and I had a great time at lunch and hope to do it again soon. If you’re ever in Denver, please join us! What play did you see? I just looked at your link for the ice story (so scary, so glad they were okay!), but it was a written story rather than a video.

Linda C – I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you drop below 200 tomorrow!! I agree that you need to be honest about the weight, as closing your eyes to it doesn’t solve anything. I do weigh every week or so, so that I know where I’m at… just not every day, as the fluctuations make me crazy.

Karen – Snowshoeing sounds like great exercise, so I’ll bet you’ll be fine. Have fun!

Lucy – Good for you, getting right back on track today!

Sherrim56 – Welcome to our group! Where in the mountains are you?

Brookehe – Another Colorado person! Welcome!

Laura80111 -- If I do a lift (haven’t decided for sure yet), it will be for the neck. I did several things about 8 years ago, all at the same time, as I decided that if I was already feeling lousy I couldn’t feel any worse, and would probably never have to nerve to do it a second time if it was bad. I didn’t need a lift yet then, though. I’ve lost some of my confidence in surgery, doctors, etc. since my foot debacle, so it will probably take a few years of thinking about it. Hubby keeps saying I should age gracefully, but there's nothing graceful looking about my neck!

Jane in Colorado
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Laura 80111 - thanks for being such a great cheerleader to all of us. If you really love a piece of clothing that's too big you may be able to get it altered - cheaper than getting a whole new wardrobe (but buying new clothes is fun too!). I've decided to buy a new item of clothing for each milestone I hit weight-wise - so much healthier than French Silk pie at Baker's Square :noway: Jodi
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Wow was here early this morning and already a big bunch of you came by. Hope everyone's day is good. So far mine has been great. Don't get weighed every day anymore so don't know what kind of face the wii is sporting will check tomorrow. I put my weigh in on here on Jan.1st which was a tuesday and I've been doing it on tuesday since. So that's tomorrow. Hope he smiles.

Well I don't believe my pedometer is working to good but hey not many steps sitting here. LOL

Went to do the wii and met hubby coming out of our bedroom with his pillow means but one thing coming for his nap on the couch. So I let him win. I'll get it done. I have to do it. I put on writting that it's 3 times on the wii and 3 times downstairs. Going to keep my promise to my goals.

Tammy
    Thanks for wanting to be my friend.

Cheryl
    What time is it on the news I may get it on the dish

Lisa
    Vit.F=friends.

And now to finish my day. On a happy note was happy all day. Anyhow.

Linda C in cold Northern Ontario. Freeze the tits of a witch today -39 this morning.
  • BetsyAnn2013
    BetsyAnn2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Hello, I've been working with MFP for just over 2 weeks. My weight has been slowly coming off and I've found the food tracking to be much easier that I thought it would be. I've just been browsing the different message boards because I don't know how they work. My goals have been to keep under my calorie limit and try to exercise at least 3x per week. I'm from East Tennessee.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    bump
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    It's a greyer, windy day here today but still above freezing so we will take it! Probably won't get out for a walk today but did my hour at water aerobics earlier this morning. It always takes some motivation to get out the door but feels good once I get going:smile:
    It is a busy week ahead so I am going to have to be diligent in getting the exercise in.

I attended my first full length opera this weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect it to be so funny:laugh: It was Fledermaus by Strauss and I knew a young girl in the chorus. Then once it started, I recognized several other singers. It was a good evening.

Katla - So sorry to hear about your hubby. Hope the home coming goes well. Praying for patience during the time of healing.

JaneH and Laura - just a little jealous of your lunch date....how fun for you both!

I was identifying with the stories of car dents (Lucy?) - I once pulled into the driveway, listening to a story on the radio for a few minutes as I sat there. Went to get out when the story ended and started to move slightly up the driveway!....I hadn't put the car in park, or turned it off!! :mad: It wasn't until the next day that I noticed the crease in the garage door - apparently I had rolled into it ever so slowly and hadn't realized it :embarassed: Had to confess to my inattention and the damage it caused.....

Keep on with your healthy habits. And remember there is grace for new starts and new days.

It's time for me to go work on my ESL and some bible study lessons.

Go well, stay well.

Glenda.