Calling all bikers--Biker Challenge!

Replies

• Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    And this heat kills me, but with my next tri coming up in July, I MUST get out there! I admit, most of my miles will have to be done on the weekends. Ok, So my goal this week is 30 miles.... I guess I need to go get a reflector vest so i can ride after it gets dark and cools down!
  • erin1205
    erin1205 Posts: 99
    Mapmyride.com has a map that allows you to plot your route using roadways. It's great!

Perfect! Just what I was looking for-thanks!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    14 miles.
    Not a great ride. But after four night shifts and in that heat I was just too tired. hard enough to drag myself out there.
    Hopefully it gets better towards the middle of the week.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    15 miles yesterday. I was going to bike to work, but t was raining when I woke up ... that's Oregon for ya. I'm off for a quick ride right now before the sun goes down or it starts to rain unexpectedly again.

I have to use my car for the next two days at work. Hopefully, it won't be raining on Thursday or Friday so I can fit my pledged mileage into my schedule.

Happy Biking!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I did 8.5 more miles tonight. That makes my total for the day 23.5 (plus I went to the gym). I am officially WORE OUT!!
  • cecreech
    cecreech Posts: 119 Member
    I am so very impressed by you all! Wow, it makes me want to just ride and ride! I was able to get in 10 miles this morning with a friend. I really wanted to do more but I have to be on call today and tomorrow. When I come off call on Wednesday I think I will have to crank out a biggy. :glasses:

67210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks for the compliment about my bike. I do love the thing.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    No ride for me today--the heat and humidity are just too much. It's already 78 degrees here with 95% humidity!!

Yesterday I was wiped out all day from my ride--I've got to remind myself that while I feel so much better after losing 33 pounds, I've still got over 100 pounds to go, so it's not a great idea to go out in temperatures like today.

Supposed to be cooler tomorrow--only in the 80s (yipe!), so will try to ride in the morning.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Just finished 28.7 miles for a total of 50.8 so far this week! It was 20 degrees warmer this morning than it was this time last week. Early morning rides are the best.
  • Doozie
    Doozie Posts: 53
    Good Morning - I didn't get to ride to work yesterday (or ride at all for the matter) thunderstorms rolled in early afternoon so I drove to work. I can stand riding in the rain, the lightning scares me though. :ohwell:

I am packing up now for my bike ride in, the skies are cloudy but I am trusting the weather reports today. They say the storms have passed Indy.

Off to work. Have a wonderful day all!
  • ohthatbambi
    Just finished my morning ride. 16 miles. That makes 39.5 for the week.
  • stschulz
    Doozie,

I use accuweather.com premium service. Currently as a trial so it is free. If I decide to keep it it is $9 a month. Since I have a pretty rigorous training regiment and not as much time as I'd want to have for riding I thought that might help. They give you an hourly detailed forecast that is pretty accurate. The regular, free service (not premium) gives you that for three days, which might be enough.
  • stschulz
    27 miles :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
    Blistering heat and humid. At times during the ride I thought that this was a pretty dumm idea since I still have two more days this week where I can ride long distances in cooler weather. My take on that is: if you want to ride centuries and go on tours you can not pick the weather either. So better get used to it. I am training for a metric century in August and I KNOW that is going to be hot!
    Now I had breakfeast, used 500 Cal during the ride for Gatorade and food and still have more than 3000 cal that I am allowed to eat.
    I think I'll make a ride like this every day! (just dreaming)
  • cecreech
    For those of you who don't already know - you probably do - you can use MapMyRide.com to figure out where you are going and how to get there and then share it with other riders. It is a great tool. I have used it with my team and they are able to learn the route with me. The one glitch that I have found is that it really does not know where the dirt roads are located and so, if it is a long ride or an unfamiliar area I have to ride it in a car and make notes before I ride it on the bike. I just mapped a 50 mile ride and out in the country it had me going down some sandy roads when just a mile down there was a nice paved backroad. To be honest, I need an increasing sense of conquering to keep this from being boring. I have to go longer and in areas I have not frequented. It also helps me to ride to healthy food. (is that pathological or what?) I will plan to stop in the midst of a ride and have a salad or a subway or something. Weird, I know, but fun. :wink:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    We rode up to the Carmel Mission today for a round trip of 38 miles. I started out a little sluggish because of yesterdays ride and walking 8 miles last night. It took me about 5 miles to warm up, but it kicked it for a good ride.

Monday = 41 miles
    Tuesday = 38 miles
    Total = 79 miles

woohoo.gif

Happy riding my cycling friends,
    Kel~ bike.gif
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Hot weather finally broke--somewhat!

It was only 72 this morning and 70% humidity, so I got out early and got in 20 miles!!

That makes 45 so far this week for me.

How's everyone else doing? haven't heard from some of y'all.
  • cecreech
    I came off of call this morning and rode 30 miles before 8:30. I hope to ride some more with friends this evening. 56 miles this week so far. Wheeeeeeeeee! :tongue:

67210.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    No biking today. We are heading up to Big Sur to hike some of the state parks and find some waterfalls.
    We'll try to at least get 20 miles in on foot today....
    I'll miss my bike :tongue:
    Happy riding my friends...
    Kel~bike.gif
  • akrahmer
    akrahmer Posts: 15
    Okay, I'll join this! I'm going to try to start riding to work at least twice a week, so I'll pledge 25 miles a week. (It's about a 13 mile commute.)
  • cecreech
    I went and rode again this afternoon but had the ride cut short because my buddy had a flat which he needed me to teach him how to fix. It was a blessing really because we rode back to our cars and it started thundering and lightening. 35 miles total today.
  • ohthatbambi
    Just 8 miles tonight. Kids had drama at home so we had to come home a little earlier than planned!!