To eat egg yolks or not?!

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Eat the whole egg. A large egg has only about 75 calories, and it loaded with good stuff. Just don't eat dozens every week.

I easily eat a dozen (or more) a week. My weight is dropping off, my blood pressure is dropping, my resting heart rate is in the fifties, and my cholesterol numbers are improving. Stay within your calories and work out hard and egg yolks will never hurt you.
  • vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    I eat ten to twelve yolks a week and my cholesterol is AWESOME. Try this one weird old trick: buy the highest quality eggs you can find (pasture raised; or failing that, free range omega3 enhanced).
    Of course, I'm really big so eggs don't really make or break me calorie-wise; if I was having to cut down for fat grams or calories maybe eggs would be an issue. I would also cut back if I were buying regular factory-produced eggs, because a) they taste like blah and b) I doubt the fat/cholesterol profile is nearly as good; as it is, eggs are probably the biggest portion of my omega 3 intake. Sometimes I skip eggs a day or two a week just so I don't get paranoid about developing an allergy or forget that there are, in fact, other things you can eat for breakfast.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    I'll add liquid egg whites to a lot of different things to up the protein count (tuna, chicken, sammiches, etc) without changing the taste too much. If I'm actually eating eggs though, I'll eat the whole egg and not waste the tasty part.
  • This wiki article will give you the break down en.wikipedia . org/wiki/Egg_yolk#Composition_of_chicken_egg_yolk

In general what I do is purchase the egg whites in a carton from Trader Joes, then I just add in one whole egg. This gives it better taste and adds in some vitamins without overdoing the fat and cholesterol and does not waste egg yolks.
  • jk the egg yolks will kill you.

god how dare you even think about eating them.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I eat them.

1) I like them.
    2) I couldn't separate the egg yolks from the whites even if I wanted to.

Fats are not bad for you as part of a balanced diet. I had 3 whole eggs this morning :D
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Mother nature cries when you throw out the egg yolk

this is my main concern. So whenever the store has a sale on egg whites in the cartons, I'll load up and freeze what I don't immediately use, then do the one egg, to one or two egg whites combo. Can't stand to waste the yolk otherwise.
  • Eat them.

Dietary cholesterol has no impact on your blood (syrum) cholesterol levels

Yolks contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and panthothenic acid of the egg. In addition, the yolks contain ALL of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K in the egg, as well as ALL of the essential fatty acids (EFAs).

Egg whites alone do not contain the full profile of essential ammino acids. So they are not a complete protein unless the egg is consumed whole
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member

My dogs also get the yolks when I decide on whites only. They are happy puppies.

Haha. Good ol' dogs. Always willing to jump on that 'yolk grenade' for us. :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I am against chicken abortions - i dont believe in eating eggs
    But tree and vine and other plant abortions are ok?
  • I am against chicken abortions - i dont believe in eating eggs

Quick they need you back at the drum circle

Spoutwood+drum+circle_Painting+QueenBlog+.jpg
  • JackieA47
    JackieA47 Posts: 52 Member
    wow you guys have been amazing, thank you so much! Man, I love this site :) think I know what I'll do, carry on as normal! Maybe add extra egg whites in to bump up the volume of an omelette without necessarily adding too many calories. Plus, I'd be completely useless at separating them, I mean, I make enough mess when cracking them open. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to respond, you all rock!! :D
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    If I eat two hardboiled eggs, I only eat one yolk. If I'm scrambling eggs, I use one whole egg and two egg whites only.
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Eat them. Tasty and good for you! Everything in moderation :)
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    I am against chicken abortions - i dont believe in eating eggs

Psst: It's an unfertilized egg, so it's not an abortion. It's more like what we women do every month. :laugh:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    eat up! Why be wasteful???
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    I always eat the egg yolks, otherwise I'd be wasting food.

Yes, this.. I wouldn't want to waste the yolk of a perfectly good egg. Besides, my chickens went to all the trouble to lay it!
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Eat them. They're the things that give eggs flavor and they are a nutritional powerhouse.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I typically eat the yolks and give half of the whites to the dog!

me too !! I don't really like the whites but the dogs sure do
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    4 egg whites, 2 full eggs = my typical breakfast.