Mall of America?

amyhoss
amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
I know this has nothing to do with anything on here but I wanted to ask on MFP because there are so many people from all over the country on here and I want to get opinions. Anyway, my husband and I have to take a vacation in March and we live in Ohio. March is not the ideal time to go on vacation around here because it can still be quite cold.

I've been racking my brain on what to do. It will be my husband, my 2 year old daughter, and myself. I'd like to stay within a 12 hour drive and we just went to Washington DC last year. I thought maybe the Mall of America might be a good idea because there is a lot of stuff to do inside if it's cold and if we happen to get a nice spring day, I'm sure there are things that we can do outside as well. I checked and that is about a 12 hour drive from home.

So, who's visited before? Did you like it? Do you think that is a good choice for our vacation?

P.S. - We are going to Disney World in July so this is meant to be just a small vacation.

Replies

• ktbazzy
    ktbazzy Posts: 110 Member
    I live just a few miles from there and my kids love going. Lots of fun rides and things to do at the Mall and nearby. Add me if you want to chat more!
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    I've been to MOA quite a few times. Live only 3.5 hrs away....It always is a place we have to stop when visiting the cities.
  • amyhoss
    How many days would you suggest staying? 3-4?
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    I went to Minneapolis for 3 days- I went to MOA, The Valley Fair and the Minneapolis Zoo. We spent one day at each, and we did the aquarium at the mall- it was a blast!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Depends on how much you want to cover and what you want to do. I live about 45 min from MOA (actually going Saturday). There's Nickelodeon Universe, and Underwater World to see along with the shopping. The other thing is, there is Water Park of America next door. I haven't been to WPOA though.

Not sure if flying is an option, but MOA is literally across the highway from MSP International. Otherthing about visiting in March.... That's Spring Break time here as well, and State Tournament time. The mall could be busy, so you may want that extra day, especially if you come during the State Hockey Tournament. The State Hockey Tournament is huge here and brings in a ton of "out state" fans.
  • RGv2
    I went to Minneapolis for 3 days- I went to MOA, The Valley Fair and the Minneapolis Zoo. We spent one day at each, and we did the aquarium at the mall- it was a blast!

Minnesota Zoo :wink:
  • amyhoss
    Oh great advice, thank you. We'd most likely go the week after St. Patrick's Day (18th). Does it get really busy during the week days? Is the Water Park indoors? I think that is the only way we could go in March.
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    I'm from MN and live about 15 minutes away from the MOA. Love it. The kids love it as well. So many fun things to do, see, etc. Rides, shops and all sorts of fun. I would definately recommend it. The Water Park of America is right across the street as well which is hotel/waterpark combined for even more fun.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    The State Hockey Tournament is huge here and brings in a ton of "out state" fans.

Yep, totally a holiday around here, and I live further north in the heart of the "State of Hockey".
  • RGv2
    Oh great advice, thank you. We'd most likely go the week after St. Patrick's Day (18th). Does it get really busy during the week days? Is the Water Park indoors? I think that is the only way we could go in March.

It's a Water Park, Hotel, and Suites.

http://waterparkofamerica.net/?gclid=CJH666WXtrUCFcdDMgoddRIAVQ

That's WCHA Final Five week(end) 3/21-3/23. Basically the Semi Finals and Finals of the College Hockey Conference here. It's insane. I would recommend getting to a Wild game as well (if doable).
  • pajomu
    pajomu Posts: 25 Member
    I live in a suburb of Minneapolis and have been to MOA many times. Feel free to add me if you'd like to "chat" about it. I hope you choose the Twin Cities for your vacation!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    I went for the first time recently, moved to MN a couple years ago. It's fun :) Yep everything is indoors. When I went the parking garage was packed but in the mall itself I was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't feel sardined in with gobs of people. This was on a weekend too so I would assume a weekday would be even better.

Here's a big list of stuff to do around there. Geared to people that live there that have kids, but still a good list: http://alphamom.com/family-fun/activities/the-twin-cities-50-things-to-do-with-your-kids-before-they-grow-up/

Harriet Island is nice. If you have the time for a trip up north you should come up here, especially if you like fishing. Summer in the lakes is pretty great. In March there will probably still be snow though :grumble:

Sign up on groupon and livingsocial and start scouring for coupons for restaurants and other stuff.
  • RGv2

Harriet Island is nice. If you have the time for a trip up north you should come up here, especially if you like fishing. Summer in the lakes is pretty great. In March there will probably still be snow though :grumble:

What's wrong with snow in March?
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member

Minnesota Zoo :wink:

whoops
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    I visit a MLB ballpark every year and a couple years ago I went to Minn. I did go to the mall of America and I totally loved it. I really enjoyed my whole time in Minn. it's an awesome city ( of course I was there in the summer time)
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    The twin cities is a great place to visit, live 4 hours away and visit 2 times a year. Stuff for all ages, MOA and otherwise. Would be a great vacation place with young children.
  • There's a groupon right now for the mirror maze that's in MOA.