Mirena IUD - To remove or not?

Too much information Alert!!

Anyone have any experience of losing weight after having a Mirena IUD removed? I've had mine for 10 years and i'm seriously debating having it removed and leaving my body "au naturale" for a while.

Prior to having my son Iwas on the combined pill for 5 years, I literally have no experience of being an adult without being on some hormone or another!

On the other hand, I really really do not want to get pregnant! That will not help my weight loss journey one bit!

If anyone has any experience of this, i'd be interested to hear it!
:smile:

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Get you partner fixed. It's the best way really.
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Lol, hmmm, I may suggest it!

He's adamant he doesn't want kids, so maybe he should put his money where is mouth is!
  • i just had mine removed 5 days ago, my hubby wants one more then he is getting snipped , for guys its seriously a snip and a stitch, no jumping till soreness is gone and send in a sample 6 weeks after .....
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    I had a baby in December of 2011. I got my Mirena in January 2012. Lost all the weight on my ticker since March 2012. I'm not gonna lie, it was hard not to eat because my body was telling me I was hungry when I knew I wasn't, but it IS possible to fight through it and tell your body when to shove off.
  • laj2504
    laj2504 Posts: 17
    I had one removed before I had my daughter, then I tried going without it after she was born, both my husband and I are "fixed", so I thought I didn't need it. (He was schedule to be fixed when we found out I was pregnant. and I did it because of having to have a c-section, just in case you where wondering) Anyway, I had to have mine but back in, my body and hormones were a complete and under mess without it (or some type of hormone). I'm wishing you luck with yours though!!!

If he doesn't want kids have him be fixed. It's so easy on them as long as you have frozen peas!!! LOL
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    I hated mirena and everything about it, so I vote get it out, but I didn't lose weight when I did. Try getting that out and maybe paraguard or something hormone-free placed?
  • ruthio77
    I think i'll definitely take it out, not had any problems with it as such, but it would be interesting to see if there is any change to my skin/weight/libido etc.

I can always have it replaced in a few months!

In the mean time, I shall be having a definite discussion with "him indoors" about his options for the snip! Seems only fair if he's that if he's that sure about the no kids thing then he should take responsibility!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Get you partner fixed. It's the best way really.

This is my philosophy, but for some reason shes not down WTF
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I have had issues with every birth control except for Mirena because the hormones are localized. I got pregnant about 10 days after having mine removed.
  • ruthio77
    I have had issues with every birth control except for Mirena because the hormones are localized. I got pregnant about 10 days after having mine removed.

Crikey - That's terrifying! 10 days? I may just choose celibacy!
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    I have the Mirena and love it.. my only complaint is the weight gain... (10 lbs since i got it in) but that is also due to lack of excercise and poor eating... I am curious to hear if you lose weight after you get it out... please keep me posted..
  • bttrcp80
    bttrcp80 Posts: 5 Member

Crikey - That's terrifying! 10 days? I may just choose celibacy!

Yes, you have to be careful!!! I just had my Mirena removed yesterday due to weight gain over the 3 years that I had it. I couldn't stand it anymore!! I had so many tests which were all negative for any health issues causing weight gain. I gained about 40lbs over almost 3 years, and couldn't lose anything despite having a hardcore trainer and changing my diet.
    Anyways, moral of the story. I couldn't start my birth control pills until today bc the pharmacy had to order my brand and the nurse said that you will need to use back-up protections for the first MONTH!!!!!! YIKES!!!
  • The marina is only a 5 year IUD. You have had it in for 10? o_O Paraguard is the 10 year IUD. I suggest you get it removed and get a new one. I have the paragaurd and I never had a problem with weight gain from it, no hormones used.
  • Ditto to the comment above, I love my paragard. No hormones and lasts for 10 years (though I am removing mine this month... kind of nervous to start having kids!)
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    A friend had it removed and lost 10+ lbs
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Echoing the Paragard endorsement. You can just have the Mirena pulled and get Paragard instead. No hormones to worry about. Periods are heavier and a bit sporadic at first, but your system normalizes out after a while and as others said, it lasts longer than Mirena.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I actually gained weight after mine was removed. I don't know if it was related to the absence of hormones, or other issues going on at the time. Come to think of it, I lost about 15 pounds after it was first put in (but again, I don't really think that it was related, I started a new diet/exercise program and was being really strict and careful).

So I'm thinking that having it removed won't do much either way for the weight.

On the other hand, they are approved for 5 years in the U.S. and 7-10 in Europe, so it may be time to get a replacement anyway.
  • Kierda
    Kierda Posts: 14 Member
    I dropped 10 lbs within a couple weeks of switching to the Paraguard from Mirena. My skin cleared up, I'm not crying at the drop of a hat anymore, my periods are 5 days long instead of 2 weeks long.

The doctor took out the Mirena and immediately replaced it with the Paraguard. No waiting period or anything. Just out with the old, in with the new. :D I've been perfectly happy since. :)
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    I know you girls are talking about pills and IUDs but there is another option not on here that I loved called a diaphram it gets fitted by Gyn-NP and when it gets used you don't feel it no hormones just a little bit of spermacide and the dome and thats it. I am paranoid about IUDs and therefore will never get one gained too much weight on the shot and my ex-hubby and I agreed to go with a diffrent type of BC and the diaphram came up as the best option for us.
  • I've had both the mirena and the paragard. I loved the mirena (and lost weight on it) and thought the paragard was evil. TMI: Incredibly heavy periods (replacing super tampon every 20 minutes) that lasted nearly 3 weeks (by the end of the second year of it, it was down to only lasting 2 weeks) with intense PMS (serious rage). And that's when I got it removed. My point? Everyone is different when it comes to bc and what works great for one person may be awful for the next. You can always get it again if you want.