Do you measure servings?

liznotyet
liznotyet Posts: 444 Member
Today I thought I would try to recycle some old tricks and got out the measuring cup for my cereal. I was stunned at how small that 1/2 cup was! So I was curious, what kinds of foods do you actually measure?
thanks

Replies

• trs80
    trs80 Posts: 24 Member
    Today I thought I would try to recycle some old tricks and got out the measuring cup for my cereal. I was stunned at how small that 1/2 cup was! So I was curious, what kinds of foods do you actually measure?
    thanks

I just read this post.

Funny thing, I just measured my cereal this morning to be sure that my small bowl and I agreed
    on what a cup REALLY looked like.

I try to measure almost everything that has weight, at least once so that I can get it recorded in
    my diary, then I can be sure it is close to being accurate.

My biggest problem, is trying to figure out how much it is in ounces when it only gives the calories
    in grams.

Sorry, I never did get that metric thing.

• My biggest problem, is trying to figure out how much it is in ounces when it only gives the calories
    in grams.

Sorry, I never did get that metric thing.

I had the same problem trying to convert grams. I went and bought a very inexpensive scale used for weighing letters at the Office Max. It gives you a choice between pounds or grams with a simple button! I also like that I can set my dish on the scale before turning it on and the scale will be set to 0, so I only measure the food when I add it in. My food measuring scale doesn't work like that. I have to put in the food in the special cup, then dump it into my serving dish--what a waste of time to have to wash two dishes every time I want to measure something.

I do weigh my cereal and my protein. The rest, I just go by the rule of thumb or if it says that it feeds two, I divided the serving equally--that sort of thing.
  • salad7
    salad7 Posts: 18
    I measure cereal, sugar, milk, or anything else where servings are measurable. Julie
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,815 Member
    I am better at measuring some things more than others. I measure everything for my typical oatmeal breakfast. I am one of those who doesn't always cook by recipes so it does sometimes hold over when measuring my food. I do enter my most used recipes so I can use them and they often go by how many does the recipe serve as opposed to measurements. I love the recommendation about the scale though. That sounds great. The scale I have is basically useless so I don't use it. When I have more money I want one of those and a fitbit and HRM. Oh well.
  • I measure almost everything and have a little weight watchers scale that I use also :)
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    I try to measure most things. I use the online converters if I need to convert ounces to grams. It's really surprising how small servings actually are when you first start. As one who likes to drench his salad in dressing, it was rather depressing at first to see how little a 2 tablespoon serving actually is.
  • Sewinator
    Sewinator Posts: 15 Member
    The things I eat quite often, I have stopped measuring. However, I do measure "new" things... I am amazed at how "off" I was if I had guessed.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 98 Member
    I measure often. I go by what it says for serving size. I was shocked at how little 1/2 c cereal looked like when measured.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,668 Member
    I weigh and measure most things.

I cook meats in bulk, then weigh and package them in ziploc baggies for the freezer. Then when I am getting my food together for work I just grab a package. If I need a snack I weigh out half, although sometimes I skip that and eyeball it. I figure I'll be taking the other half tomorrow and it will even out LOL.

With starches, I usually measure instead of weighing. This isn't as onerous as it sounds. I have lots of the same 3-4 sizes of plastic containers and I know how much the container holds, so I know that if I fill up X container it's a cup, Y container is 2 cups, etc.

I'm not as careful with veggies, I eyeball those more often.

I know how much my ladle holds -- 3/4 cup -- so when I ladle out soups & stews I'm reasonably sure how much I've gotten.

Elaine in CO
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 292 Member
    When I started last year for 3 months, I measured almost everything, got to know what 10gms or 20gms of nuts looks like, how much a grape weighs, and yes, 1/2 cup is very small.
  • Akindian
    Akindian Posts: 2 Member
    Measure the grains and proteins.

eyeball the veggies and fruits.
  • rreiki
    rreiki Posts: 18 Member
    I went out and bought a very inexpensive food scale. My idea of what a cup was and the scale's idea of what a cup was varied a great deal. All this time I thought I was being good in calculating how much I was eating until I started weighing out my servings. I use it for cereal, fruit, milk, flour, sugar and even meat portions. Granted all this weighing out of food can be a little time consuming but, at least, now I am on the right track.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,479 Member
    nope.