Benefits of walking.

I'm walking everyday or atleast 5-6 days a week 30-40mins a mile to 2miles a day. I hear that just simple walking sheds the pounds but I mean I'm just walking somethin I naturally do everyday.
Is anyone else walking as a means of exercise and wat benefits have u seen from it and how long before u started seeing the changes??
Right now walking is going to be my main exercise.

Replies

• I am using a fitbit and aiming to hit at least 10000 steps a day. I am enjoying it and that's all that matters.

Keep going, keep enjoying walking and something will happen. X
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Walking is definitely a good place to start, I walk about five or six miles a day during the week with school runs and errands as I don't drive. It's definitely helping shift the weight :D
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    That's how I started losing my pregnancy weight after I had my daughter nine years ago.

I'd put her in her stroller and off we'd go.

It not only helped me start losing weight, but it also helped me sleep better and improve my mood (she was a tad fussy:sad:)

Walking is always a good idea:smile:
  • I walk everyday about 30-40 min and usually a brisk walk to a dvd or my Wii fit plus since it has been so cold out. I have noticed that it helps with weight loss, toning my legs and lowering my blood sugar levels. I am definitely sticking with it!!
  • nins11065
    nins11065 Posts: 29 Member
    Hi,

I started walking to lose weight about 5 weeks ago and have lost 10 pounds. I did not enter my weight here until after losing 5, but the challenge and motivation continue. I am mostly walking during my lunch hour in Downtown Minneapolis during the week and on weekends I either do the treadmill or Elliptical.
    I am glad to know someone else doing the walking to lose weight. Keep it up!
    Nins
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    I walk nearly everyday and its part of my regime that also includes RPM classes, gym and swimming.
    If walking is your main exercise, then its important to also ensure that your heart rate is elevated during your walk and that your diet is at a calorie deficit.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I started walking for weight loss three years ago.I lost 10 pounds the first 6 weeks or so.I reached my goal ( 45 pounds) in about four months.I did about 3 miles 5 days a week.

I now do intervals of running and walking 4 miles 3-4 days a week

It's great exercise and I find it's a great stress buster as well.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    I am using walking, both outside with the dogs 20-45 minutes a day and inside to the Leslie Sansone WATP videos. I do feel it is definately helping! In addition to the walking I use the elliptical and the bowflex. I would say that the walking is my main exercise currently though. We have monthly challenges for the WATP miles.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    I started walking the 3rd week of Jan. Had a goal of 30 mins a day 6 days a week. Now I walk 42 mins and try for every single day. I love it. Most times I do 60 mins. And mine is all on the treadmill..

I am sleeping better, I feel better, my hips don't hurt. I've lost 9 lbs...

Good luck!
  • Walking has such AMAZING benefits and the most simplest exercise someone can do! Now to really see benefits of course you have to ramp it up and what not but it's great. I use walk away the pounds and also walk just in everyday life, don't own a car lol.

I have seen a lot of plus in it. Not only am I getting toned but my clothes are getting looser and looser. It's absolutely great.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    thanks everybody this is all motivating!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    I have only used walking for exercise, about 40 minutes or so a day, weather permitting. I walk to shop with backpack, get whatever I need like fruit or veg, put in rucksack & walk home heavier, with shopping,than I went out

Distance is around 2 miles round trip

My ticker tells you everything else
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    I have only used walking for exercise, about 40 minutes or so a day, weather permitting. I walk to shop with backpack, get whatever I need like fruit or veg, put in rucksack & walk home heavier, with shopping,than I went out

Distance is around 2 miles round trip

My ticker tells you everything else

I am glad its not just me that does that. I get funny looks in tesco when I filled up my back pack, its common sense!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Yep, walking is awesome! I am working up to some longer distances as I have a charity challenge in July (3 highest mountains in Yorkshire, 25 miles, all in under 12 hours - gulp!).

I currently walk 4 miles every night, am going to go for 5 miles tonight hopefully. I also try to increase speed as I will be so pushed for time on my challenge but it's finding the time to squeeze longer walks in through the week as I work full time and have two young kids so my hubby stays home and I walk when they are in bed but obviously only so much time in the evenings!

Keep up the good work, it will do you heaps of good.
  • Yep love walking just got back form a 10 mile walk and done it in 3 hours with no stops !