Anyone here run barefoot?

Or with those barefoot shoes? I started doing it recently and couldn't believe how much better it felt. There's very little impact in comparison to the 'heel first' sort of thing we all get used to with shoes. I was quite sore for days in places that I never get sore running with shoes (calves in particular), but other than that, it's been pleasant surprise. Feels a lot more natural.

Replies

• faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    I did that before, on grass. I would run around a soccer field. I feel like you run faster but that's probably just a myth. You are right though, you use the balls of your feet first more often.
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    I'm buying toe shoes this week. I know people who swear buy them and I love being barefoot!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    I run in Vibram FiveFingers, Skeletoes, and GoRuns, and barefoot on occasion. I will never go back to "real" shoes.
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks for the post! I've been considering this for a little bit, but since I work in an office, I can't wear them to work. Does anyone know if there are feet issues switching back & forth between shoe types like these?
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    I run in merrell pace gloves - couldn't do vibrams because they just didn't fit my feet (issues with toe length). I've gone totally barefoot on occasion, but not recently due to the cold. Been running this way for about 2 years and I love it! I ran a marathon last September in the minimalist shoes and am training for another - never going back to bulky running shoes.
  • jimmie65
    Thanks for the post! I've been considering this for a little bit, but since I work in an office, I can't wear them to work. Does anyone know if there are feet issues switching back & forth between shoe types like these?

I believe that Vivo Barefoot makes casual and dress minimalist shoes.Me, I just wear a black pair of GoRuns most of the time.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I run mostly in minimalist shoes, occasionally in regular shoes(until they wear out) and once or twice, real barefoot.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I don't run, but I wear my vibrams so much I have a tan "tattoo" that means I should probably get some dress shoes that don't show off my chalky white toes.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Are there any good minimalist shoes that are trail appropriate? I run 90% of the time on trails and that has been my biggest hang-up with minimalist running.
  • Are there any good minimalist shoes that are trail appropriate? I run 90% of the time on trails and that has been my biggest hang-up with minimalist running.

I haven't tried them, but I have been eyeing them New balance mimimist, makes a trail shoe. It has some cushioning, but is still considered a minimalist shoe
  • I use 5fingers for short runs, weight lifting, and just everyday wear. Still prefer a shoe with more cushioning for my long runs.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    I have run in minimalist shoes for years, including several half marathons and one full. That being said, be careful as you transition to barefoot shoes and definitely ease yourself into them. I recently bought a pair of Vibrams and thought I was easing my way in (but admittedly felt like I didn't have to ease quite as slowly as someone transitioning from conventional shoes). After running ~10 runs of 4 miles in them and really loving the feel of them, I ran a hilly 7 miler in them and ended up on 6 weeks rest with inflamed Achilles. I'm finally back on the roads now and will definitely move more slowly incorporating my Vibrams into my routine (just like the instructions say, BTW)!!!!

Just wanted to share the caution with you, since I didn't heed it as well as I should've - but they really do feel great. Enjoy!!!
  • jimmie65
    Are there any good minimalist shoes that are trail appropriate? I run 90% of the time on trails and that has been my biggest hang-up with minimalist running.

Love my new GoTrails. Like the GoRuns, they're more semi-minimalist but great.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I bought some vivo barefoot evo II cheaply to 'learn' how to run barefoot and may well get their trail shoe as I want to get into trail running. I'm not a runner, have only just started trying to run but I spend most of my not-at-work time shoeless so figured it might work for me. When walking in the shoes. I find my feet flap a bit, but running so far has been fine. I'm wearing socks at the moment, as my feet sweat on the treadmill and the other day they rubbed

The vivos look cool and are comfy. I think I probably run naturally with a mid-foot strike so I've had none of the calf ache others have. I wear them round the gym for weight lifting and stuff. Am curious about the five fingers but may stick as I am for now. Read good things about the vivo trail shoe.