Depressing/disturbing kids songs

zrmac804
zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
My toddler nieces love this song. And since toddlers love repetition, I get treated to hearing it over and over again from their CD. :explode: Really, there's something disturbing about children cheerfuly singing a song about tormenting and killing an animal.

I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee.
Wont my mommy be so proud of me?
Ouch! He stung me!

I'm squishing up my baby bumblebee.
Eew! It's yucky!

I'm wiping off my baby bumblebee.
No more baby bumblebee!

Replies

• chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Omg wow. I've never really paid attention to my daughters CDs. Maybe I should
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    your house must be filled with bubble wrap.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    When I was little my mom totally made me sing that all the time, and do the actions to it as well.
  • CMMia17
    CMMia17 Posts: 42 Member
    Ummm, wow.... I guess I have to start paying more attention. I don't have children, but I do volunteer every week and spend my time with them. Will have to keep my ears open for anything weird. Sorry for your experience. i hope you find something else they will favorite.
  • My toddler nieces love this song. And since toddlers love repetition, I get treated to hearing it over and over again from their CD. :explode: Really, there's something disturbing about children cheerfuly singing a song about tormenting and killing an animal.

Ouch! He stung me!

Eew! It's yucky!

No more baby bumblebee!

pft my 11yo plays guitar and does jonny cash covers

do you know how disturbing it is to hear an 11yo sing "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    That song disturbed me even when I was a kid lmao.

There was this one song that the kids used to sing at the first summer camp I worked at and it was about a worm drowning in their soda or something? It's really messed up lol.

I don't have kids but I teach kindergarten right now so I guess I'll have to pay attention to the songs we play for them during class time ahaha.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    ... really? I think its funny! We had several more verses than that, but I'm afraid you'd be even more disturbed if these couple of verses bother you. It's called 'make beleive'.

A child wouldnt "torment and kill" (as you put it) a bee after singing that song because he or she would understand that trying to hold a bumble bee would probably lead to getting stung. Lighten up and let the child enjoy the song and grow an imagination.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Back in my day, the teacher used to often play "Oh My Darlin, Clementine" which is about a miner's daughter who falls into a river and drowns its both depressing and creepy.

Then theres another song they used to play about some kid with a ridiculously long name who fell into a well and drowned because no one could say his name fast enough to let the grown ups know he fell.
  • ... really? I think its funny! We had several more verses than that, but I'm afraid you'd be even more disturbed if these couple of verses bother you. It's called 'make beleive'.

A child wouldnt "torment and kill" (as you put it) a bee after singing that song because he or she would understand that trying to hold a bumble bee would probably lead to getting stung. Lighten up and let the child enjoy the song and grow an imagination.

So did huckleberry hound :bigsmile:
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    There really are a lot of dark childrens songs out there, you are my sunshine, oh clemintine, on top of old smokie...the list goes on and on. I understand your point but really, we grew up singing these songs and we're fine. I say let them be kids, we shield our kids from so much as it is.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    My daughter like to sing that Christmas song where they sing "And all the teacher's died" or something like that. I can't remember exactly how it goes but when she sang it at Christmas I was like :noway:
  • Lisa1971
    Ok, I remember it now..."Joy to the world, the school burned down. And all the teachers died." Ugh. Disturbing!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Puff the Magic Dragon is actually about smoking pot lol
  • Lisa1971
    Puff the Magic Dragon is actually about smoking pot lol

Are you a pothead Focker?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    alouette still gives me the creeps.

happily singing about plucking the eyes, ears, beak and feathers off a bird?
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    what about ring around the rosie - a song/game about the black death!!

And that lullaby where the baby's in the tree and the bough breaks?

But you know, there has to be some depth and and darkness in the world. A well rounded person can't appreciate the light without the dark as contrast...

I personally don't have a problem letting my kid be exposed to the darker things. Of course he's two, we'll see how I feel when he starts asking me about things.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Rock-a-bye baby, on the treetop
    When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
    When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
    And down will come baby, cradle and all

:huh:
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    oh come on, most children's songs have odd lyrics, for example. "Little Bunny Fufu"? , "London Bridge"......
  • The_Outlaw_Torn
    The_Outlaw_Torn Posts: 67 Member
    Pussification of society