To shower or not to shower that is the question...

So i was talking to my step mother about the gym she just started recently attending, shes been going for about two weeks now, i was asking her various questions about the equipment they have, how busy they are, ect. Amongst these many questions i asked if they had a shower and locker room.

She replied she didnt know and that she tans then heads home and showers, she then said it doesnt matter because you have to wait two hours to shower. I told her i didnt believe that and i continued with i usually shower right away after my workouts, she looked at me like i had just slapped her in the face with a wet fish.

She said i was hurting myself by showering so quickly because it raises your blood pressure, i responded with "Only if its hotter then The fires in hell, i take luke warm showers." She then continued to spout off about how i didnt know what i was doing blah, blah, blah.

So heres the question i have: Is it SAFE to shower after a heavy workout, OR do you need to wait for two or so hours before you wash your sweaty stinky self?

Replies

• stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Very interesting, never heard of that before. I would like to see the responses!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Seriously? I mean I'm not a fitness expert and not up-to-date on all the latest research, but ummm...it sounds absurd to me that you would need to time your showers.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    This is a joke right? What would showering right after a workout have to do with anything??? I'd challenge your step mother to produce peer reviewed studies to prove any crap she is saying...
  • I do, but I usually wait about 15 minutes or so (after I'm done stretching). I'm sure it doesn't take your body 2 hours to cool down after working out.
  • I always shower after a workout and the only thing it does is relax my muscles....
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Maybe she got confused...you shouldnt shower for at least 2 hrs after you tan....if you use lotions when tanning
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Uh, my answer is not based in anything scientific, but if you're only taking lukewarm showers I don't see how that would affect your blood pressure at all. Really, even at a scalding hot temp it's a stretch, because you're showering for what, five minutes? Ten? Fifteen at the absolute max? Think of it this way... if you're hot and sweaty and sore, and you take a quick dip in a hot tub, is that going to kill you? Probably not, unless you've not drank any water during your workout and also taken some kind of stimulant. So a shower, where there is significantly less water involved, is not going to either. No offense, but I think your step mom is full of it on this one.
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    This is a new one on me :smile: , reminds me of my old house mate who was convinced that washing your hair in hot water increases the chance of baldness. we used to hear him shrieking in the bathroom (from all that cold water presumably).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    IMO it's better to shower straight away after a workout, especially if you get sweaty - the sweaty workout clothes drying on you is not good for you.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Maybe she got confused...you shouldnt shower for at least 2 hrs after you tan....if you use lotions when tanning

Who said? And why?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Well. This is a new one.
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    This is a joke right? What would showering right after a workout have to do with anything??? I'd challenge your step mother to produce peer reviewed studies to prove any crap she is saying...

I WISH i was joking it was a ridiculous 3 hour doscussion that ended in me faking an emergency shopping trip to leave her too her tangent lol shes a peach really...
  • Ramberta
    This is a new one on me :smile: , reminds me of my old house mate who was convinced that washing your hair in hot water increases the chance of baldness. we used to hear him shrieking in the bathroom (from all that cold water presumably).

Hahahaha! Thank you for sharing that anecdote and giving me some laughs this morning!
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    I don't shower at the gym I live literally 7 mins away. I prefer my own house and shower. I don't know how clean it is in there nor do I care to find out. Perhaps your mom feels the same way and didn't want to tell you or maybe she isn't comfortable showering in a public place per say.
    To each his own..
  • Ramberta
    IMO it's better to shower straight away after a workout, especially if you get sweaty - the sweaty workout clothes drying on you is not good for you.

Why is that? Is it bacteria-related...? I've not heard that, so I'm curious.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Seriously? I mean I'm not a fitness expert and not up-to-date on all the latest research, but ummm...it sounds absurd to me that you would need to time your showers.

^ this expresses how i feel about this exactly
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I prefer not stinking, so I guess you could call me pro-shower, or a "showertarian" if you will. We are very much against the anti-showering crowd, or "showerists." They're quite the offensive and odiferous group.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member

You can catch a chill
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

No - its the sweaty clothes getting cold and then drying on you - not good for your muscles.