The scale and I are not friends right now...advice please

So I've lost 25 pounds so far and now I've hit that wall. I've not budge on scale in over a week, but my clothing are fitting looser so I'm losing inches. Should I adjust my cals (doing 2000) to kick the weight to fall off again or is this normal? I work out six days a week and do cardio and weights. Also fast walk/run two miles a day so twelve miles a week. Thanks!

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Throw away the scales and go on inches !!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    One week is nothing. Weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you lose a bit, some weeks you lose big, some weeks nothing, and other weeks gain. Stay the course, particularly if clothes are getting looser. Most likely water retention due to muscle repair.
  • If you have been on consistent deficit for a while, I would bump up your calories to maintenance for a day. These always got me out of plateaus when I was losing weight.
  • germangirl88
    germangirl88 Posts: 35 Member
    One week is nothing. Weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you lose a bit, some weeks you lose big, some weeks nothing, and other weeks gain. Stay the course, particularly if clothes are getting looser. Most likely water retention.

I'm going on almost two weeks no budge so why I was getting kind of discouraged. Thanks for the info!
  • It seems to me though that you are just holding some water weight.. Make sure you are consistent with your sodium levels.
  • ditch the scales!!!!
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    If you stop stepping all over it, it might be nicer to you. lol (kidding, couldn't help myself)
  • germangirl88
    ditch the scales!!!!
    I need to but it's a female thing lol. If numbers wern't so important!!! I need to though!
  • germangirl88
    If you stop stepping all over it, it might be nicer to you. lol (kidding, couldn't help myself)
    LOL
  • kdroppo
    kdroppo Posts: 19 Member
    The scale and I have this love/hate relationship. I believe if you are going to weigh yourself only do it once every couple of weeks. I use the measuring tape it is way more accurate. Your clothes don't lie. If they are getting loose then you are losing weight.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    One week is nothing. Weight loss isn't linear, some weeks you lose a bit, some weeks you lose big, some weeks nothing, and other weeks gain. Stay the course, particularly if clothes are getting looser. Most likely water retention.

^ This. Lost the vast majority of my weight in the first few weeks, then the scale stalled completely for a few weeks. Lost 2 lbs. over the past 2 weeks but it doesn't bother me because I can feel the difference in my clothes - my belt is a notch tighter & I'm very close to dropping a pants size. At some point I'm sure the scale will move, but I'm not overly concerned with how much or when because I'm not doing this for a #, I'm doing this to be healthier.........
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    dont worry about it. everyone will eventually hit a plateu on thier weight loss. its the devils way of trying to throw you off track! i was losing 2 pounds each week since september, went from 246 in september, to 189 feb 1. then from feb 1 until this past friday feb 26, i lost NOTHING!!! i didnt even budge an ounce. i actually bounced from 189 - 192 those 3 weeks, but never an ounce under 189!!! i stuck with it, stuck to my eating habits, kept going to the gym, and to my surprise, this morning, i am down to 186!!! its just a bump in the road, dont let it throw you off course!!!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    So I've lost 25 pounds so far and now I've hit that wall. I've not budge on scale in over a week, but my clothing are fitting looser so I'm losing inches. Should I adjust my cals (doing 2000) to kick the weight to fall off again or is this normal? I work out six days a week and do cardio and weights. Also fast walk/run two miles a day so twelve miles a week. Thanks!

Are you eating 2000 a day before or after you subtract your calories burned through exercise?
    How long have you been following the same exercise routine?
    Have you recently changed your routine?

If you are eating 2000 before subtracting your exercise calories, then I'd say don't lower your calories. The lowest you want to go is 1400-1500 AFTER subtracting your exercise calories. So unless you are above that, I wouldn't consider it.

If you have been following the same routine for a long time, your weight loss may have slowed down because your muscles are no longer working as hard as they were because they are used to the work they have to do. You can change this by completely changing your routine, adding an extra 10-15 minutes on to a routine or you could bring in heavier weights.

If you have recently changed your routine, it could be water weight and you do tend to gain before you start losing when particularly when you first start exercising or start a completely new style (e.g. weight training).

Finally, if you are losing inches but the scales aren't budging then chances are you are building muscle which is a good thing. Sometimes the scale takes a little longer to catch up with stuff like this but also you should check out some of the success stories on here. Some people reached their goal weights and then gained 20lbs through "toning up" with weights but still dropped dress sizes. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member

I'd go back to goals and put in your new weight and see what MFP gives you for calorie goal, it will probably go down. Only weigh yourself twice a month. You've added some lean muscle and it will offset your fat loss, so weight will be misleading... :bigsmile:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    lol... my scale is a douche also! I step on it every am and some days way more than others. I am at 147-153 and it sucks and the pounds don't drift away after a huge dump so i'm kind of screwed but am happy with my overall appearance! SCORE!
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    I have noticed that I often will go a week or two with the scale not moving (or even going up a lb), and then suddenly I will wake up with a 4lb loss. Weight loss for me has not been linear at all.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Take a deep breath and relax! Two weeks of no show on the scale doesn't equal hitting a wall. I know it's hard not seeing the scale move but it could be a lot of things. Maybe your calories do need adjusted. What does your workout routine look like? Have you had your body fat % checked? Keep track of your inches loss in addition to weight loss. It will help you out on times like this.
  • germangirl88

^ This. Lost the vast majority of my weight in the first few weeks, then the scale stalled completely for a few weeks. Lost 2 lbs. over the past 2 weeks but it doesn't bother me because I can feel the difference in my clothes - my belt is a notch tighter & I'm very close to dropping a pants size. At some point I'm sure the scale will move, but I'm not overly concerned with how much or when because I'm not doing this for a #, I'm doing this to be healthier.........
    Very true, thank you for the reminder about it being to a healthier life! I need to stop worrying about the number. I guess it's the female in me lol
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Just break up....with the scale that is.
  • ktdidit78
    ktdidit78 Posts: 29 Member
    A long plateau means you need to reevaluate and kick things up a notch. But 2 wks is nothing - and you are seeing progress in your measurements. I still get on the scale, but I also do measurements because I'm losing inches, but hardly anything on the scale. This is a slow and steady process, patience is key.