So confused!!

Help - I have no idea how many calories I should be eating. I've just followed the advice in the roadmap post and worked out that my body fat is shockingling 43% :( and my BMR is 2021 so how much can I eat? I've been eating around 1500 and I just stay the same - I can't go any lower I love my food too much :(

Any help would be very welcome :)

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    You sure your BMR is over 2000? How tall are you, because you sure don't look like 300 lb or a construction worker :)
  • gs09
    gs09 Posts: 8 Member
    hehe!! I've just done another calculation and it says 1470 - does that sound more realistic?
  • sofielein
    Absolutely :)

Have you done the TDEE calculation as well?
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Yes, also, figure out your TDEE and eat 20% below that...stay consistant and keep at it.
  • gs09
    I did one and it came out over 4000?! You wouldn't think I was good with numbers would you?!?!
  • gs09
    hahaha I'd put that I was 53 foot tall rather than 5ft 3!! oops

so my TDEE is 2038 and my BMR is 2021 so to lose weight I need to eat....?
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member

You are hysterical and I really hope you're not in finance ;-) try 1200 if you think you can do that. How active are you? I do 1200 and although not very active during the day, exercise almost daily. Good luck and if I can help let me know:smile:
  • i googled "how many calories do i need to eat to reach my goal weight" and a calculator on about.com popped up. it asks you for a goal weight and date, your height age weight etc info and gives you a number of calories. it helped me get an idea of a healthy number. good luck!
  • gs09
    Yes, also, figure out your TDEE and eat 20% below that...stay consistant and keep at it.

So around 1600? That's quite a bit higher than suggested elsewhere? Much more doable though?!
    It's so confusing!
  • gs09

You are hysterical and I really hope you're not in finance ;-) try 1200 if you think you can do that. How active are you? I do 1200 and although not very active during the day, exercise almost daily. Good luck and if I can help let me know:smile:

I was a book keeper!! I look after my two year old so reasonable active but not hugely
  • gs09
    i googled "how many calories do i need to eat to reach my goal weight" and a calculator on about.com popped up. it asks you for a goal weight and date, your height age weight etc info and gives you a number of calories. it helped me get an idea of a healthy number. good luck!

Thanks will have a look :-)
  • sofielein
    Okay so let's stick with the numbers that seem rational :)

BMR - 1470 and TDEE - 2038

so you will need to eat between these. Unless you do heavy exercise - do you?

For a sloooow but steady weight loss I would suggest 1750 to 1800. For faster results around 1550 to 1600 but if you have been eating 1500 as you say for months and nothing happened, then I am suspecting you are underestimating whatever you are consuming. Don't worry, this happens to a lot of people. In this case, question is, WHAT are you eating? Self made meal, if so, do you measure ingredients precisely on the kitchen scale? If not, that is mistake 1. Do you tend to not count a cup of latte or tea at work, some snacks, "just a couple" of chips when they reach the bag to you, if so, mistake 2. Do you eat preprocessed food (bad bad bad) and confuse the serving size? Mistake 3. Is your vegetable consumption in calories closer to 10% than 40% of your daily calorie intake, that would be mistake 4. The list is long, you choose :)