Weekend failure...

No matter how hard I try I can do great Mon-Fri, then the weekend comes and it's all downhill. My hubby stops at BK, I don't work out, go out and have a drink. These habits seem to be so hard to kick. How do you guys stick with everything, even on the weekends when you're always on the go on those days?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    I eat at a reasonable calorie deficit and I work out harder on the weekends to compensate.
  • Evagem
    Evagem Posts: 13 Member
    Planning and moderation!

I do a double workout on Saturdays (twice the cardio) and then if I know we are going out or having friends over (ALWAYS involves cocktails), I watch what I am eating during the day - salads, more veggies, etc. This leaves more calories for the extras. I also have looked around for alternative cocktails. Many bars are offering "skinny" options of mixed drinks or I go with vodka & club soda (don't like beer) or wine. For every drink I have, I make myself drink 2-3 glasses of water during / inbetween.

The other thing that I find helps me be strong when my husband and son are not is to weigh on Friday mornings (my official weigh-in is Monday). When I see a good number (a loss), it helps me say no to fast food, extra drinks, etc over the weekend.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    I have only been at this for 8 weeks or so - but, I try to basically plan my cheats. If I want a glass of wine, I have that. But, if I want a dessert (which I did this weekend), I skipped the wine and the inexplicably high-calorie salad. I knew I was having a yummy , fattening dinner at a nice restaurant so I forced myself to do an hour of cardio to "earn" it; but, if I can fit a small cheat into my daily calories without going over TDEE and without exercise, I will do that one weekend day. I figure I won't gain for that day- I just may not lose

P.S. I don't give myself a cheat day per se - I try to make it one meal
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    unfortunately i am not ...i am right there with you on the weekends....even more so lately.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    As far as BK, watch portions like everything else. Check out their nutrition site. E.g. Whopper Jr or a more basic burger instead of a Whopper, small or no fries. Beverage at home or carry a little water bottle with you. Good luck!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    I really workout hard on the weekends because I know I will overeat. I do a workout Saturday morning and Saturday evening and I also do a workout on Sundays. It never fails as hard as I try I ALWAYS eat more than I should, especially Friday evenings. So just try to compenstate it by making sure you take all that extra time you have on the weekend and get a few extra workouts in.
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    unfortunately i am not ...i am right there with you on the weekends....even more so lately.

ME TOO :ohwell:
  • Coffeeplz_123z
    Coffeeplz_123z Posts: 29 Member
    I always had a cheat day, which would turn into cheat days! Now I do as another poster said, work my TREAT not CHEAT into my day. If I want cheesecake, I have cheesecake, I track it down and work my day around it. If I'm craving chocolate I choose what I'm craving and track it. I try not deprive myself or you can eat 500 things to try to satisfy that craving you had...and in the end you go have it anyhow because that's really what you wanted.
    Ask hubby to pick up a grilled chicken for you instead of a burger and have a couple of his fries instead of a full one. Might help, and remember that none of us put weight on by having BK once a week...that's just life and we are here to enjoy it in moderation!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    One day at BK doesn't mean failure. Don't stress over this. Track how many calories are in the food, keep it within your calorie goals and you will be fine.
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    I've stopped thinking in terms of "weekends" because for some reason is seems to lead to overdoing food wise. I just think of weekend days just being another day to eat as healthy as I can and try to make good choices. I go out to eat every Sunday so I may eat a bit more than I usually do other days but then I try and get in a five mile hike to offset. Hope this makes sense, anyhow works for me.
  • SexyTmar
    SexyTmar Posts: 23 Member
    I am also a weekend failure. My husband is not on board with the program, which makes it very hard for me. He accused me of avoiding him a few weeks ago because I spend many week nights working out and then occupying myself with hobbies while he watches television and eats snack after snack. The hobbies keep my mind and hands busy because if I join him watching television, then I snack too!

Since the accusation, I have been spending more time with him, which has sabotaged my last two weeks. Quite simply, I am just too weak :(( My week day control is now suffering heavily and the weekends are outright killing me!

For my own sake, I need to go back to avoiding him....and his nasty eating habits until I gain back some control.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    I am also a weekend failure. My husband is not on board with the program, which makes it very hard for me. He accused me of avoiding him a few weeks ago because I spend many week nights working out and then occupying myself with hobbies while he watches television and eats snack after snack. The hobbies keep my mind and hands busy because if I join him watching television, then I snack too!

Since the accusation, I have been spending more time with him, which has sabotaged my last two weeks. Quite simply, I am just too weak :(( My week day control is now suffering heavily and the weekends are outright killing me!

For my own sake, I need to go back to avoiding him....and his nasty eating habits until I gain back some control.

My husband is the same way. He is always bringing home crap to eat. He does not workout at all. I am trying to influence him but not having him on board makes it very hard for me. He is supportive of me though but he is not changing his life yet.
  • No matter how hard I try I can do great Mon-Fri, then the weekend comes and it's all downhill. My hubby stops at BK, I don't work out, go out and have a drink. These habits seem to be so hard to kick. How do you guys stick with everything, even on the weekends when you're always on the go on those days?

I tend to wake up earlier on the weekends, which gives myself time to fit in my workouts. Also, if you are always on the go (me too), are you using a tracking device like FitBit? I use this (along with my HRM for workouts) to track calories burned throughout the day. If I have a really active day and get in a ton of steps/stairs/etc. through non-workout activity, FitBit will give me an adjustment for extra calories above and beyond the standard daily goal. I will eat back those calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    yep,, thats what weekends are for.
    eat, drink, be merry
    come monday,
    have a cry.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    After 2 months short of 2 years, I now have stopped losing at weekend and even go up a few pounds temporarily, It comes back down by the following Friday and then it goes back up again. As a result I have only lost 1.5 pounds this year so far but I do have less than 10 pounds to go. It can take as long as it likes.

I know I don't go over my calories but it would have been nice to stay at the same weight on Monday or even just 1 pound more.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Can you change your weekend routines any? Like, get up earlier and get the exercise in first? Painful, I know, but for me, if I start the day right, I'm better at staying clean. Maybe plan something active with your husband and pack healthy (but good) snacks to go with you?
  • My hubby is not on the "programme" as it were, but does like to be outdoors. So we have joined a walking group that goes out Saturdays and a cycling club for Sundays. Then we eat lots because I have the calorie space and he likes to eat anyway.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Ha, meet your sister - I'm the same.

I'm OK if I'm just in the house but we normally tend to eat out and thats where the problems start.
    I ate out both Saturday and Sunday this week and I had dessert with one of the meals.

I was being greedy, I didnt need it.

Monday-Friday I am very good.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    No matter how hard I try I can do great Mon-Fri, then the weekend comes and it's all downhill. My hubby stops at BK, I don't work out, go out and have a drink. These habits seem to be so hard to kick. How do you guys stick with everything, even on the weekends when you're always on the go on those days?

Leave yourself left over calories throghout the week: maybe a 100 a day. if you workout, you can get these from not eating back all of your exercise calories. MFP is based on a Mon=Sun schedule. My goal is 1700 calories a day. After exercising I NET about 1500. I had 200 calories per day left over. By Sunday I could safely eat 2500 calories or more and still meet my weekly goal. As a result, I was able to have Sunday breakfast or lunch with my family and still lose. Try it this week. I love it!
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    I do Zumba at our local community center on Saturday mornings at 10:30. It's a great way to set my weekend off on the right path. After I've worked so hard on that workout I just don't want to throw it all away. After I burn so many calories in that workout, it gives me a little extra room to "play".

This pas Saturday, we went out to a local restaurant/bar to watch MMA fights on pay per view. We decided to eat dinner at home beforehand in order to limit our calories. We ate a low cal dinner which gave us plenty of room in our calorie budgets to slurge on beers with our friends. We even ordered an appetizer as the night wore on. It did put me over on my calories but not by much at all.