Looking for insight.

Like a lot of posters I am looking for weight loss help.

To give you my background. I am a man, 35 years old, 5'11" and currently 189 pounds and 19.5% body fat.
I started using the myfitnesspal app in October 2012 when I weighed 200 pounds and was 24% body fat.
I lost the my 11 pounds fairly quickly and first reached 189 pounds initially in the beginning of January.
For the past 2 months I have stayed at 189 pounds (with a little fluctuation both up and down).

I seemed to have stalled out in losing weight. My initial goals was to get down to 180 pounds/15% body fat and my secondary goals was to get back down to my college graduation weight of 170 pounds/11% body fat.

I have a desk job, so I have in my settings a sedentary lifestyle. I work out on average 4 times a week with a mix of cardio and weight lifting. The cardio is distance running and the weight lifting is a men's health program.

I have been pretty religious about inputting all my food and exercise into the app and over the last 8 weeks I have averaged a net of 1450 calories/day.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    My first though was your net calories look really low for a man of your height and weight. I'm not that up on calorie amounts for men though, I will admit, but to me that seems pretty low?
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    At your height/weight you should be eating somewhere near 2000 cals a day. I'm 5'7 160 and I ate 1980 for .5lb a week weight loss, so I KNOW you should be eating more than me. Up your calories and lift heavy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You're eating way too low. I lift weights and do less cardio than you and am a woman, and I eat more than you do. Not sure if your 1450 is net calories or not since your diary is not open. Be sure that you input your goals correctly. With an ultimate goal of only 19lbs, you should set your goals to lose half a pound a week, and eat back your exercise calories.
  • That was my initial thought too. The app suggests 1500/day to lose a 1.5 pounds/week, which is what my goal was to do. I recently changed it to lose 1 pound/week which would mean I could net 1770 calories/day. Maybe I should eat more? This, of course, wouldn't bother me. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    At your height/weight you should be eating somewhere near 2000 cals a day. I'm 5'7 160 and I ate 1980 for .5lb a week weight loss, so I KNOW you should be eating more than me. Up your calories and lift heavy.

this!

i would ditch the scale weight goal and just focus on bodyfat.

i am 5ft5 128lbs and netting 1800 cals to try and lose a little bodyfat. if you have too large a deficit, your body will use muscle for energy and not fat.
  • Thanks for response everybody!