So what's your excuse?

2»

Replies

• borom44
    borom44 Posts: 24 Member
    Reason
    Lost 75lb Jan 2010 to May 2010 maintained weight till Aug 2010, was told by doctor not to run anymore.
    Action
    Thought sod it, let the food intake overtake the exercise and living calorie expenditure, as I pretty much give in after this and used it as an excuse to eat and drink and do nothing.
    Result
    Here I am again, I have learnt from my mistakes and I am back in training for cycling now.
    Excuses
    None, my fault I knew what I was doing once I abandoned the exercise and healthy eating. It was not the food companies, it was not the brewery and it was not the Docs fault or my knee problems, it was my apathy.
  • :ohwell: My excuse...was it was just how I was and I would get around to loosing one day. That is what I was thinking in my head. Then I would tell other people that I really wanted to loose weight...blah blah blah...and that so many things didn't work for me, but I was still eating whatever I wanted and how much I wanted. I wasn't taking the blame for doing it myself. When I was a teenager and college age, then married; I had a great figure. 5'4", curvy in all the right places...it was nice. Now I still have my hourglass figure, just with too many hours and not in the right places.
  • My excuse?
    So, I asked someone for suggestions on how to get control of mindless eating and I got “what are you blaming it on?” Good point. I know the portions I should have. I know what I need to avoid in order to do justice to weight loss. But I don't do enough to avoid the overeating! I lament the fact that I over ate but that happens after the meal! Suggestions needed here from those who had a similar issue.
    So, here's what I did to try to lose the weight.
    I bot myself a treadmill last Feb (2012). I use it 6 days a week and do 2-3 k/day. Have not lost any weight. However, I am in better shape since I started. I can go up the stairs and not puff at all anymore! So that's an accomplishment. But why no weight loss? A: Still not enough exercise and still overeating!
    I went to the local exercise club for a whole year. Toning got better! But no weight loss!
    So, what do I need to do to change?

I tried doing 4 k in one day but that was too much and I couldn't do any the next day. I have a bad knee. But that was one of the reasons I bot the treadmill so I could strengthen my knee. It did wonders but still hurts so I know I have to be mindful of what I do. I now do 3 k/day in stages. Works better.

The bottom line is I need to control my portions. I'm aware of how much I ate AFTER I ate it! Too late! I've switched to a smaller plate. But I did that long ago! Not the solution.
    I need to incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Way more! This is the best answer and my biggest downfall because I eat little of both. But how to ensure I do that? Mindfulness needs to come into play somehow.

So what now? Maybe add some strength training? I have hand weights, exercise ball, exercise machine and bands. All waiting for me to use them! Long ago I put them in full view so I would use them. Hasn't worked yet!
    My commitment: I shall use them along with my treadmill. I will post this on my mirror so I can see it often.
    Something will work. Hope it's soon!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    I had no excuses, that is why I have accomplished my goals.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    "I'm have a large frame" - which when I actually did lose weight, it turns out a really have a small frame!

Why did that quote make me think of Cartman from South Park? "I'm not fat, I'm big-boned!"
  • MSeel1984

The bottom line is I need to control my portions. I'm aware of how much I ate AFTER I ate it! Too late! I've switched to a smaller plate. But I did that long ago! Not the solution.
    I need to incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Way more! This is the best answer and my biggest downfall because I eat little of both. But how to ensure I do that? Mindfulness needs to come into play somehow.

a HUGE breakthrough.

I started using measuring cups and tablespoons at home to get a better VISUAL of what the portion size SHOULD look like.

I get completely out of line measuring some foods (rice, peanut butter, etc)...especially peanut butter. I "eyeball" it and say "yeah-that's about 2 tablespoons". Then the other night I went ahead and measured with a tablespoon, leveling it off to see what 2 Tbsp actually LOOKED like. I have been going way over for a long time. So I started using a Tablespoon measure to get more familiar with it so I know how much I'm getting.

The USA in general is out of control with regard to portions....(at restaurants, etc)...and eating a bigger portion is ok if you are cutting calories elsewhere...but as a whole, our nation isn't doing that routinely...and even though portion sizes have gone up, movement/exercise hasn't increased to accommodate for that. Re-evaluating portions was a big breakthrough for me.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    I'm lazy and tired a lot. I eat okay I think, but exercising.. I could do more.
    Trying to motivate myself though.

I'm getting a free trial at the local gym and maybe I'll join it. :3
  • I blame my pickiness with food. Seriously, if I didn't like it as a kid; my body won't like it now. I have to try and try and try to get my body accustomed to good food (even if I don't like it the first few times).
    I know forcing it isn't smart, but as long as I'm not allergic, I can train my body to get used to liking new foods.
    This sets me back so much though.
  • I really never thought I was that fat. I think denial was my biggest excuse.

^^^This^^^ Nobody every said to me your fat so for some reason when I looked in the mirror I was able to convince myself I wasn't.

Nobody probably said it to you because you might not be seen as fat where you're from. It also depends on the culture.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    I blamed it on my body and genes... I've always been "big boned", just like most of my family. Then one day I really let it sink in that I used to wear 33" waistlines and was a size 9, even though I feel I look the same as I did back then - but as a teen and young adult, I just thought I looked fat. I was actually just self-conscious.

No more of that excuse!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I have a small...ermmm, wait. You're asking why I have a big truck and a Lexus, right?
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    "your here for a good time not a long time" used that one a lot lol
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member

a HUGE breakthrough.

I started using measuring cups and tablespoons at home to get a better VISUAL of what the portion size SHOULD look like.

I get completely out of line measuring some foods (rice, peanut butter, etc)...especially peanut butter. I "eyeball" it and say "yeah-that's about 2 tablespoons". Then the other night I went ahead and measured with a tablespoon, leveling it off to see what 2 Tbsp actually LOOKED like. I have been going way over for a long time. So I started using a Tablespoon measure to get more familiar with it so I know how much I'm getting.

The USA in general is out of control with regard to portions....(at restaurants, etc)...and eating a bigger portion is ok if you are cutting calories elsewhere...but as a whole, our nation isn't doing that routinely...and even though portion sizes have gone up, movement/exercise hasn't increased to accommodate for that. Re-evaluating portions was a big breakthrough for me.

The restaurant portions are definitely out of whack - what they bring you many times can and should be a meal for 2 people! It is hard to ask them to bring you a to-go box with your plate though, or they scowl at you...
  • MSeel1984
    [/quote]

The restaurant portions are definitely out of whack - what they bring you many times can and should be a meal for 2 people! It is hard to ask them to bring you a to-go box with your plate though, or they scowl at you...
    [/quote]

I have gotten in the habit of only eating half of what is there. Then save the rest for the next day. Last night I got a sandwich from our favorite deli and it was HUGE. I cut it in half and BOOM, dinner tonight.
  • Oh how the pill was my excuse for the longest time... I hear you ladies there!

Now my excuse is nursing. I need extra calories or my supply goes down and it makes me ravenous. I've been using that excuse for 17 months now and really I should have given it up 5 months ago. Truth is I love food... love to eat junk and sit on the couch and watch tv after my kids go to bed. I also love WINE!

I'm frankly sick of the pill and other birth control as an excuse.
    I've been on it for years, and been on other ones, as well as being on various other meds that have the side effect of making you gain weight.
    sorry, but it doesn't mean you sit your a** on the couch, eat crisps, and gain 100lbs all because of the pill.

Maybe you are more predisposed to, but most "skinny" women of a certain age are also on birth control, at a guess I'd say more than half of them. So why are they not overweight?