Help me please! Not losing.

Options
Hi,

I have so much weight to lose, over 100 pounds. I am staying within calorie range, I cycle so one day I am over, next 2 days under. But it all comes the same in the week.

I am not losing weight on the scale.

I do walk, nothing intense , I have some body injuries from a serious car accident.

I am so sad and depressed. My clothes are fitting better. Almost a month and not even 5 pounds lost.
I did better before MFP, I was cheating and never tracked. I am so discouraged.
Any advice?

Replies

• linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    Are you logging what you eat? This is very important. It sounds like to me maybe your diet hasn't changed that much? Diet, imo, is more important than the exercise.
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take a close look at the quality of food you are eating. Veggies, lean protein and real food always make a difference in my loss. Eat as little processed food and sugar as possible. Lastly, don't give up! You didn't gain overnight and you won't lose overnight either.
  • Minimouse13
    Minimouse13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I track every bite . Gave up diet soda. I stay within 1500 calories a day. I eat fruit and veggies daily, drink water. at my size I should be losing.
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    Qulaity over Quantity. It doesn't really matter how many calories you are eating- if you are eating empty calories, processed foods, foods that are high in fat and sugar. You need to be eating clean whole natural healthy foods. You need to really fuel your body with the nutrients it needs to function properly. Weightloss really depends on the quality of your diet. Dont think of it as cheating think of it as indugling :) if you veiw it as a cheat you are going to feel guitly about it and feel shame like you can't do anything right. It's okay to indugle just earn it. Realy do your best, aim for HEALTHY. Good luck :) Add me if you need encouragement or to see more diaries.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I learned on the Livestrong website yesterday that the most common cause of failing to lose weight on an appropriate calorie deficit is not having enough muscle mass. Muscles raise your metabolism and burn fat. Concentrate on building some muscle; it should help. (This is what I'm doing because I haven't been losing significant weight either; down 4 pounds since mid-December.)
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, I'll take a look.

Two things that have helped me:

1. Give up all sugar and simple carbs (like pasta and white bread). These things have a big impact on blood sugar - which affects energy levels and cravings.

2. Instead of 3 big meals a day, eat 5-6 mini meals. So if you're eating 1,500 calories a day, eat 5 meals of 300 calories each instead of 3 meals of 500 calories. This also helps stabilize your blood sugar and give you more consistent energy throughout the day.

Also... If you're lost almost 5 pounds in a month without serious exercise, I'd say you're doing pretty well. Keep it up!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you'll open your diary, we'll be able to give better comments about your food. Watch your sodium, drink lots of water, try to incorporate veggies and fruits when possible. If not already doing so, get a food scale & measuring cups & spoons and weigh and measure everything. While I knew my portions were always large, I didn't realize how super sized they were till I started weighing/measuring everything.

Are you generally weighing in at the same time/body state each time? I weigh once a week - Saturday mornings just after getting up and using the toilet and wearing nothing but my glasses so I can see the number. Weight fluctuates during the day so you need to be consistent about when you weigh in.

Are you taking progress pictures and taking body measurements. Sometimes you won't see a decrease on the scale but you will see it in the measurements. You can also judge this by if you're clothes are getting looser.

Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Here's a link with explanations and resources: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12.

If possible, use a Heart Rate Monitor to for a more accurate exercise calorie burn than MFP or cardio machines.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options

1. Give up all sugar and simple carbs (like pasta and white bread). These things have a big impact on blood sugar - which affects energy levels and cravings.

2. Instead of 3 big meals a day, eat 5-6 mini meals. So if you're eating 1,500 calories a day, eat 5 meals of 300 calories each instead of 3 meals of 500 calories. This also helps stabilize your blood sugar and give you more consistent energy throughout the day.

Also... If you're lost almost 5 pounds in a month without serious exercise, I'd say you're doing pretty well. Keep it up!
    Hey I like this idea...I have been keeping my diary and calorie intake pretty much level with a cheat now and again...have been losing pretty steady until this last week or so and up and down 1-2 pounds...driving me crazy...I am going to try to eat 4 or 5 mini meals and see how much success I have with that...thanks for that advice!!!
  • Minimouse13
    Options
    Thank you all. I would say my eating is 60/40 . 60 being fresh foods, the other being canned soups and processed foods. I think with over a 100 pounds to lose , sodium should not be affecting me and I would look at it closer to goal.

I do think any calorie deficit should work if you have more that 100 to lose! But maybe I am wrong.

If I do eat a can of soup. I add a bag of baby spinach to it for a meal, like a stew, so I am eating pretty good.

I was averging a 5 pound a month loss before I joined MFP. I have lost 53 pounds in a year so far.

I really thouht a steady 2 pounds a week would come off. ;)
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    5 lbs in a month is over a pound a week. Seems like reasoable loss to me. I personally need to work out to lose weight.
  • gfmama888
    Options
    If your clothes are fitting better, that's all that really matters! I know it's hard bc most people use the scale as a guide, but try to use MEASUREMENTS (get a tape measure) instead of the scale. Example: measure one arm, one thigh, your waist and your hips.) I guarantee you will see results. Think about it....a 200 lb body builder and a 200 lb couch potato weigh the same but their body composition (body fat %) are VERY different. What is likely happening is that you are losing fat and gaining muscle (hence the lose clothing and why you should measure instead of use the scale.)

Just don't give up! :smile:
  • babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey I NEVER weighed in. I went off of what my clothes were doing. They got looser and looser and that's what excited me. I am now weighing myself for a competition I am a part of but it's honestly so much better for my mental health to not. I weighed myself the other morning and I weighed 2 more pounds than the day before. When I got home from the gym an hour later I was 2 pounds lighter. The scale is not our friend. Go with how your clothes feel and your mental health will benefit, I am telling you! :) Good luck!!!
  • Minimouse13
    Options
    Thanks again. I will do a another week of eating clean and hope for a whoosh!

Before I would only weigh once a month, so maybe I should expect big losses and then nada , it will not lose a steady 2 pounds a week, but overall will come off.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses differently. Weight loss is definitely not a linear process. It has taken me about 20 months to lose about 80 pounds. That is about four pounds per month on average, which is one pound a week. I had about 138 pounds to lose when I started, I too at the beginning thought it would fall off at 2 lbs per week, obviously my body disagreed, hahaha

When I do lose, I might go three weeks with no loss then lose 2, 3, 4 pounds in one week.

53 pounds in a year is awesome, keep it at!!!!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Hey I like this idea...I have been keeping my diary and calorie intake pretty much level with a cheat now and again...have been losing pretty steady until this last week or so and up and down 1-2 pounds...driving me crazy...I am going to try to eat 4 or 5 mini meals and see how much success I have with that...thanks for that advice!!!

5-6 mini meals will keep your body fed and therefore not needing to get energy from your fat. It takes it from your food, leaving no chance for you fat stores to be used up for energy
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the canned soup, make it from scratch. It's not that hard & actually will help you way more due to less crap in there. You may as well be having some take-away food ..... it's about the same.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thanks again. I will do a another week of eating clean and hope for a whoosh!

Before I would only weigh once a month, so maybe I should expect big losses and then nada , it will not lose a steady 2 pounds a week, but overall will come off.

Precisely. If you go back to weighing once per month, that might help with the worrying. :) I tend to lose in whooshes. I'll lose 2.5 pounds one week, 0 the next, then 3, then 0 for a week or so, and then 2, and so on. "1-2 pounds per week" is just an average, not a firm amount people lose every week. If you take your weight loss and divide by the number of weeks you've been at it, it should come to 1-2 pounds per week. Mine is something like 1.3 right now.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

I am so sad and depressed. My clothes are fitting better. Almost a month and not even 5 pounds lost.
    I did better before MFP, I was cheating and never tracked. I am so discouraged.
    Any advice?

Your clothes are fitting better - that's a better indicator of success than the scale.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Open your diary if you want more accurate advice, the best we can do is stab in the dark.

Do you weigh/measure out everything?
    Do you log everything?
    Do you drink lots of water?
    Have you looked into your BMR/TDEE?
    Are you sure you are calculating your calorie burn from exercise?

There are all kinds of reasons for success/failure.