THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Replies

• openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    bump
  • vesperpt
    vesperpt Posts: 44 Member
    Love this!
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    A lot of truth in what you wrote.

But...

99% of dieters say that they break their diet because they are depressed, stressed or bored. Feelings, not lack of willpower, get in the way.

So, in the long run these issues must be addressed. In this way, losing weight and keeping it off is very difficult. So, deciding to eat and exercise right is a great start. But dealing with depression, stress and boredom (or whatever it is that is keeping you from your goals) is hard but critical.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

But...

99% of dieters say that they break their diet because they are depressed, stressed or bored. Feelings, not lack of willpower, get in the way.

So, in the long run these issues must be addressed. In this way, losing weight and keeping it off is very difficult. So, deciding to eat and exercise right is a great start. But dealing with depression, stress and boredom (or whatever it is that is keeping you from your goals) is hard but critical.

Emotions are a piss poor excuse for lack of willpower. Emotional eating is a piss poor excuse for stuffing one's face with 8000 calories in a day. He's still spot on. People need to get control of their heads. This also includes their emotions. If they cannot control these, they will ultimately fail at almost anything that they try that results in elevated stress levels.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Wow. Thanks so much for posting that. I definitely needed to read it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

But...

i used to do that too. former emotional smoker, drinker and eater.

then i made the decision to be an emotional exerciser.

the decision was mine from the beginning. even decided to get depressed. and i decided to buy that pack of cigarettes, and that bottle of bourbon, and the mcdonalds.

then one day i decided i didn't like how all that made me feel. i decided that i didn't like what i was seeing in the mirror.

then i decided to do something about it.
  • genericaroar
    genericaroar Posts: 51 Member
    Love this. Thanks for sharing.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    bump....just what i need today!
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    :happy: :drinker:
  • Perfect post.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member

But...

It's not feelings getting in the way. It is a lack of emotional responsibility. (as far as stressed/bored/sad - clinical depression is not a feeling, it is a condition)
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    I agree awesome!
  • pattypureheart
    pattypureheart Posts: 44 Member
    Wonderful post... Simple truth.. too many of us are able to cave in to excuses etc. Bottom line is we will not get to that hoped for/ dreamed of destination without KNOWING and acting on exactly what you say here... Thanks so much for the truth!
  • nc90
    nc90 Posts: 83 Member
    This is great! Really what I needed! Thanks for sharing!
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks for re-posting.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    LOVE IT!! Thank-you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Just what I was needing to read! Thanks for posting!!
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Bump! Gonna print this out and hang it on my wall! Thanks for sharing!
  • peterdt

But...

Emotions are a piss poor excuse for lack of willpower. Emotional eating is a piss poor excuse for stuffing one's face with 8000 calories in a day. He's still spot on. People need to get control of their heads. This also includes their emotions. If they cannot control these, they will ultimately fail at almost anything that they try that results in elevated stress levels.

they key is to learn to work with these emotions and how to handle them. That is really not a matter of willpower. If you use "willpower" to suppress your emotions eventually something will break. It is better to get in touch with them and find better ways of coping rather than eating. Meditation is one good way of doing that.
  • peterdt

But...

It's not feelings getting in the way. It is a lack of emotional responsibility. (as far as stressed/bored/sad - clinical depression is not a feeling, it is a condition)

you can't tell people what feelings that they can have Lt. That is the nature of feelings. The important part is how you deal with them.