PCOS and Diet

I have PCOS and am Pre-Diabetic. I am wondering if any other PCOS people have found a diet that works for them? And if anyone has noticed a connection between arthritis flair ups or PCOS flair ups when eating Gluten and/or Soy? any info is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    I will stay tuned to this post as I have the same issues. My weight loss has been VERY slow.....15 lbs only in a year!
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    I was told to keep a diabetic diet. Try to keep it low glycemic index and ALL carbohydrates at under 40% per day. That is darn hard... so I accustomed my diet to allow 45%.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    I have PCOS and although I've found that it takes me longer than the average person to lose weight, I do lose consistently (albeit slowly) by counting calories.
  • I have PCOS and I'm insulin resistant - I do low carb. The past few days in my diary have been wacky, but I try to stay under 50-60 carbs a day (while also monitoring my calories). Carbs spike your insulin, and insulin plays a big role in PCOS for most women.

I've been doing this for a month now, and I feel AMAZING. So much more energy, more alert, and feel healthier overall. I haven't been on the scale in awhile - but people are starting to notice my weight loss. Low carb needs to be a lifestyle change. Once I'm at my goal weight, I will still continue to do maintenance. I refuse to go back to eating like I used to. Good luck :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I have PCOS. I lost 150 pounds just by counting calories and exercising. Wasn't too hard. Unfortunately, I also ended up with an eating disorder, so am currently working on my relationship with food, but I'm relatively happy now. :)
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    I lost pretty quickly at first last year when I tried (about 35 lbs in 3 months, then it slowed down but i still lost 55 lbs 350 down to 293 before my wedding, but after the wedding life got the best of us and I gained almost half of that back). I gained after the wedding back up to 328 and am down to 318 in 2-3 months. but what really is bothering me is I have been working my butt of since before new years, especially in Feb. I have watched what I ate and work out about 6 times a week with cal burns between 500-1200 a day, but in the past 3 weeks I have only lost .6 lbs. and I haven't be diagnosed with arthirtis but i have hip/join pain pretty bad, but when i was on the daniel fast and cut out wheat, bread, pastas, etc. I had like no pain so I think those could be related. I also have found a good site that has cool articles about correlation between pcos and depression, gluten, soy, etc. pcosdiva.com you may want to check it out :)
  • TxFemme
    TxFemme Posts: 5 Member
    A low carb diet is ideal for people with PCOS due to the fact that they are insulin resistant and do not use carbs well. Cut your carbs to less than 50g per day and you will MELT. You are also likely to have improvement in menstrual cycle, facial hair, etc. Trust me, it works!!
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Yes!! I noticed a huge difference!!

I lost 80 pounds before getting pregnant with my twin daughters--I ate white potatoes, white bread etc and it took me 2 years to lose that. I was doing weigth watchers but I didn`t follow a clean eating diet or a low gi diet or anything, I just stayed under my `points``. I didn`t pay attention to what or when I ate as much and I`d feel food highs and lows and feel so sick sometimes. I`d eat 100 calorie snack packs, or `healthy granola bars`or use crystal light in my waters---now none of that!!

This time, I`m eating clean and I switched all white rice, white bread na white potatoes to sweet potatoes, wild or brown rice and squirrel bread ( little big bread.) I only eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day and the rest vegetables. For breakfast I usually have a carb--like a whole wheat wrap with egg whites, salsa and sauteed vegetables inside. Lunch I have a salad with avacado, a balsamic vinaigrette dressing and 4 oz. of a lean meat like salmon, chicken, half a tin of tuna, a lean steak or pork. For dinner I usually have 1 cup of a green vegetable, half a cup of an orange vegetable, half a sweet potato and then 4-5 ounces of a lean meat. I also try to not eat in the evening.

Out of those servings of fruit, I make 1 serving berries, 1 a citrus fruit and the last is a fruit of my choice--I ALWAYS PAIR A FRUIT with protein!! eg. an apple + 1 TBSP of peanut butter, 1 orange or a cup of grapes with 23 almonds, fat free plain greek yogurt with berries, fat free cottage cheese + 1 small kiwi. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want and check out my food diary : )

I eat 6 meals a day--around 2-4 hours apart and plan them the night before. I go breakfast, snack1, lunch, snack 2, dinner, snack 3 : )

I notice my blood sugars stay steady, I don`t get crazy mood swings or energy dips and I feel satisfied all day--the weight is just falling off this time!! I can also work out faster, longer and harder than I ever have!

My skin is so clear and beautiful (before I had acne), I`m noticing my hair and nails are amazing!!! I`m getting my periods on time, it`s awesome : )

I am now 4 pounds lighter than my prepregnancy weight!!!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    I have PCOS and although I've found that it takes me longer than the average person to lose weight, I do lose consistently (albeit slowly) by counting calories.

This. And also, the more weight I lose the better my PCOS is. My TOM is light night and day since I lost about 50lbs.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    I have PCOS and have always found that no matter what lifestyle I chose, if I do not workout consistently then I do not lose.

However, I've always found that eating low glycemic is the best method for me to get a good weight loss combined with exercise. I lost 30lbs in 2011 then gained it back after not eating or working out, then found out I had hyperthyroid, lost 50lbs Oct - Jan of 2012 by eating low glycemic and working out... I was put on horomone meds and was able to get down to 248 last July, but then I came off of them I gained 15lbs. and that is where I was stuck..

I started a Low Carb cleanse (it's my own version of Atkins) on Monday and this week with working out I lost 6.4lbs!

The most important thing is to research what you eat, know how it effects your blood sugar and how to counteract the things you love with a valuable source of fiber and protein.

ALso workout!! it's important part of the journey, biking is proven to lower insulin levels and that is ultimately what is going to help you lose weight.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Hi:

This is my story, I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 40s when I was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have been overweight all my life and most of my weight is around my waist. I had trouble conceiving, but managed to have a baby at age 40. I have had hair loss in a male pattern since my 20s, which is about the time I started gaining weight. The hair loss has gotten worse gradually over time.

PCOS blood tests were negative for male hormones and so forth, but my endocrinologist said it is a "clinical diagnosis" based on symptoms and things like diabetes. I also have high cholesterol which is under control with Zocor. I take Metformin for the diabetes and it is great. Some doctors give you Metformin for insulin resistance even if you are not yet diabetic and have PCOS, especially if you are trying to get pregnant. Insulin resistance from PCOS can affect your fertility. I think that's why I had trouble getting pregnant.

I have found it very difficult to lose weight, especially now that I"m in my 50s, but I have managed to lose 17 pounds on MFP. I have 33 pounds to go.I'm a true food addict so it's a struggle for me.

It took me 4 months to lose the first 10 pounds. Right now I am trying a low-carb diet. It worked great the first month (7 pound loss) but now I find I'm craving carbs and I"m not sure why. I increased my carbs from a very low 20/grams day to 55 grams a day thinking that would help. I seem to be maintaining on that. I find I can't miss a day of exercise, or I start gaining, and I must drink a lot of fluid.

The bottom line is that PCOS is not the same for everyone. PCOS is not easy. I'm happy to message with you any time. T.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    I also have PCOS, Hyperglycemia (pre-diabetic), along w/some other hormone related ailments. I do think that they are all related and are all directly affected by diet. That is why I am been focusing more on a clean whole natural foods for a nutritious dense diet. I am begining to find a coralation between any hormone disorder and gluten sensitivity. Not sure why that is, but did read that a lot of the mainstream wheat products come from GMO wheat and in turn has "super" gluten as a result. This could be why when your hormones are not working properly they have a really hard time processing the gluten esp. a more potent form like a "super" gluten from GMO wheat.

Try taking a look at some of the suggestions in "The Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman, he and Dr. Daniel Amen came up w/a great diet plan.. called the Daniel Plan, which is based on the Biblical story of Daniel, so pretty much a "clean" diet omitting gluten and dairy as they are two of the top food allergy/sensitivity sources.

I have been doing a modification of this trying to work my way into full gluten free. But just by minimize my overall intake I have noticed a huge difference. And when I go back to having more, like this last week I had grape nut cereal for b-fast two days in a row, on the 2nd day...ugh I was feeling it by the afternoon. I do like my toast, but try for a more whole grain protein loaded version, oroweat makes a brand called healthful, about 80cals per slice w/5 grams of protein & fiber ( I like the nutty grain one). When I have that I don't notice any big differences but when I buy a reg. loaf of whole wheat bread, that does not sit too well w/me I get all achy like I am having a fibro flare up. Although I think this is just from the GMO wheat used in a lot of wheat breads and in cereals, so when I have the nuttygrain it has more grains and nuts rather than wheat, plus extra fiber and protein which may help to process the gluten and help to prevent a high blood sugar spike.

I basically just keep experimenting on finding the right balance for my specific needs. Keeping a food diary and noting how I am feeling through the day really is a big help w/this. I try to keep to a low glycemic & clean diet for the most part and drinks lots of water. I also stop drinking coffee and switch to green tea w/a little honey and wow I no longer get the afternoon tired feel anymore. That was a hard one for me, because I love my coffee, use to have a pot+ a day... but I was just sick of feeling sick all the time so I started to omit things from my diet one at a time and I noticed that too much wheat, diary and caffine will make me feel sluggish, achy, bloated w/ headaches etc... So by keeping those items down to a minimum I don't feel so bad and can still enjoy them in my diet as long as I don't overdue it. However I do know some people who can't even have a little or else they get all sick, so really it is just a matter of listening to your body and finding what works for you.
  • twingirlsmommy
    I was told that I couldn`t get pregnant with my PCOS. My husband at the time and I started trying and after 3 years we had no luck. I started losing weight, went back to school and planned a life for myself without children. Things didn`t work out between my husband and me and I moved on. I hit a plateau with my weight loss after losing over 80 pounds--so my doctor reccommended metformin to me because women with PCOS have been known to lose weight. I started taking it--and as a side effect haha I found out I was pregnant 5 weeks later with twins!! Chris and me were only together for 5 months at the time and were shocked, but we`re such a lucky family. I have two beautiful 10 month old girls and I keep pluggin`along with my weight loss!! I had a hard time gaining some of the weight back while I was pregnant mentally. But now, 35 pounds to go until I`ve lost a total of 115!! I can`t wait : )
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Yes!! I noticed a huge difference!!

I lost 80 pounds before getting pregnant with my twin daughters--I ate white potatoes, white bread etc and it took me 2 years to lose that. I was doing weigth watchers but I didn`t follow a clean eating diet or a low gi diet or anything, I just stayed under my `points``. I didn`t pay attention to what or when I ate as much and I`d feel food highs and lows and feel so sick sometimes. I`d eat 100 calorie snack packs, or `healthy granola bars`or use crystal light in my waters---now none of that!!

This time, I`m eating clean and I switched all white rice, white bread na white potatoes to sweet potatoes, wild or brown rice and squirrel bread ( little big bread.) I only eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day and the rest vegetables. For breakfast I usually have a carb--like a whole wheat wrap with egg whites, salsa and sauteed vegetables inside. Lunch I have a salad with avacado, a balsamic vinaigrette dressing and 4 oz. of a lean meat like salmon, chicken, half a tin of tuna, a lean steak or pork. For dinner I usually have 1 cup of a green vegetable, half a cup of an orange vegetable, half a sweet potato and then 4-5 ounces of a lean meat. I also try to not eat in the evening.

Out of those servings of fruit, I make 1 serving berries, 1 a citrus fruit and the last is a fruit of my choice--I ALWAYS PAIR A FRUIT with protein!! eg. an apple + 1 TBSP of peanut butter, 1 orange or a cup of grapes with 23 almonds, fat free plain greek yogurt with berries, fat free cottage cheese + 1 small kiwi. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want and check out my food diary : )

I eat 6 meals a day--around 2-4 hours apart and plan them the night before. I go breakfast, snack1, lunch, snack 2, dinner, snack 3 : )

I notice my blood sugars stay steady, I don`t get crazy mood swings or energy dips and I feel satisfied all day--the weight is just falling off this time!! I can also work out faster, longer and harder than I ever have!

My skin is so clear and beautiful (before I had acne), I`m noticing my hair and nails are amazing!!! I`m getting my periods on time, it`s awesome : )

I am now 4 pounds lighter than my prepregnancy weight!!!

That is awesome, great to hear your story, very inspiring! Keep up the good work! Your diet sounds a lot like the one suggested in some of the books I have been reading and doing my best to adhere to that... you explained it so very well. Yes it is so very important to make sure you have protien w/your fruits/sugars. It makes a huge difference whith blood sugar spikes and cravings, I totally spaced on adding that in my post.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Keep in mind not everyone with PCOS is insulin resistant. I have PCOS but am not insulin resistant. I have managed to lose over 170 pounds and didnt need to go low carb...I would say I eat moderate carbs...I still eating plenty of healthy grains. I found eating as much non processed foods as possible helps, feel free to friend me and look at my diary :)
  • twingirlsmommy
    If I eat any white sugar or white carbs now, I crave it--for days after!! Sometimes I find it`s easier not to have cheat days or cheat meals because any processed stuff or white sugar is blech. I used to load my coffee with white sugar and cream or full fat milk--now I use almond milk + cinnamon and it is delicious!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    I started off with the South Beach Diet plan, but tweaked it to fit my needs more. I have evolved into a pseudo primal eating plan now, with 50%Healthy fat.30% lean protein and 20% high fiber carbs from mostly non-starch veggies and some fruit. I eat around 1200 cals and keep my total carbs under 75g and my 'net carbs' between 25 and 50g per day. Since August I have lost 38 pounds, my arthritis pain has drastically been reduced. I sleep better, My moods are way more stable. My water weight doesn't fluctuate like it used to. I rarely have any PMS symptoms at all. I have tons more energy than I did before.

I have found the perfect way of eating for my body and I am happy to stay eating like this for life. It truly has given me a quality of life that I never expected to have again.

I know of many women with PCOS and/or diabetes that are doing well and losing on a lower carb/ higher fat diet. There are some groups in the forums that you might want to check out as well.

ETA I have cut out over 90% of my grains as well, especially wheat.
  • Amysteeg
    Amysteeg Posts: 1
    It's really great to hear that so many other women have PCOS. I was diagnosed when I was 20, now 25. They told me that I was pre diabetic, insulin resistant, and to stick to a low glycemic diet as well. I even went to a nutrition to help me out. Nothing worked. I have been placed on a strict medication regiment of Metaformin, Spirolactone, and Yaz. The biggest thing about my PCOS is the weight, the other is the facial body hair on my chin, neck, and upper lip. This has made me insecure for years, and have even looked into laser treatments. The doctor put me on Spirolactone to decrease the facial hair, I am still shaving daily.

About a year ago I found this awesome site. In the past, I had literally done every diet out there (WW, Low-carb, south beach, even nutrisystem). The best thing that worked for me was this website. I try to stick under a 1200 calorie in-take a day. I am very strict with myself during the week, and my weekends I am off. I began WALKING nightly with my dog. I would commit to at least 4 days a week. The weight starting coming off. In total I had dropped over 30 lbs. Now a year later, I find myself 10-20 lbs heavier. Now, Im trying to get back into my regiment.

Does ANYONE have any advice about medication, diet, hair-growth, and even pregnancy???
    I am still young, but would love to start a family before 30 (due to chances being lower after 30) PLEASE HELP! Best wishes ladies!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    I also have PCOS and in a years time I lost 86 lbs by eating 1200 calories per day and exercising 30 min/day..I had a baby 2.5 months ago and I've got 13 lbs to go to get the rest of my baby weight off. I may try the low carb thing but you just gotta find what works and stick with it till you plateau then change it up again :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Keep in mind not everyone with PCOS is insulin resistant. I have PCOS but am not insulin resistant. I have managed to lose over 170 pounds and didnt need to go low carb...I would say I eat moderate carbs...I still eating plenty of healthy grains. I found eating as much non processed foods as possible helps, feel free to friend me and look at my diary :)

Me too. I'm not insulin resistant but have PCOS. I also just try to be smart about my carbs, keeping them to about 40% of my food intake.