Egg Beaters....Use within 7 days???? Seriously?

My daughter and I eat alot of eggs so I bought some egg beaters hoping to save us some cals, cholesterol, fat, etc.
I just noticed that the carton says to use wihin 7 days of opening but the experation date says May 31st....Is this 7 days just for best taste or are we going to get sick in a couple of days?
signed,
eggnorant

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    I have used my egg beaters two-three weeks after opening it and have not gotten sick once.......so go for it.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    I go by the expiration date. I actually forgot I had some in the fridge and it was past the expiration date and my bf said they were fine, and I used the rest of them up and didn't get sick. Expiration dates and use by dates for best taste are just guidelines required to put on containers.
  • I use them after 7 days and no one has gotten sick here.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I admit, I am a little obsessive about using things within so many days once they are opened.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    FYI, Egg Beaters freeze well too.

I've cooked and eaten Egg Beaters a week after the expiration date and haven't gotten sick.
  • rachey121
    rachey121 Posts: 20 Member
    My carton sits in my fridge for pretty much a month and Im still alive.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Expiration dates on stuff like that are for the unopened package, as soon as you open it, you are supposed to abide by the "7 days" or whatever the carton says.

Me, I'm a sniff tester. If it doesn't smell bad, I'll generally risk it.
  • nerdehgirl
    nerdehgirl Posts: 19 Member
    I had the same dilemma this morning... Two weeks after opening it... I was starved and ate them anyways. Didn't get sick. Lol.
  • tammyknaak
    tammyknaak Posts: 12 Member
    You guys / gals are great!! appreciate the comments....I will continue to eat up until May 31st, but take a black marker to the "use within 7 days" so my daughter doesn't see it...She wouldn't touch them if she saw that and these things are NOT cheap! Lol
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Expiration date is for un-opened, 7 days is for open containers. Eggs can be breeding grounds for bacteria so I guess they play it safe by recommending the 7 day use by just in case after opening they were exposed to some bacteria that could incubate and make them make you sick in the next 7 days. Unlikely tho but not impossible, if there were any cross contamination etc :D
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    umm.... those expiration dates are how long they are good for before being opened! after opening they are saying its best to use within 7 days. lots of thing will have this type of dating on packaging ex. bacon or almond milk. would you crack open a bunch of eggs and leave them in fridge for weeks and then eat? probably not.
  • tammyknaak
    tammyknaak Posts: 12 Member
    hmmm...no offense but I guess I am just as unsure about this as I was when I googled it. of course they won't last until May 31st but probably will last a total of 3 weeks from the date I opened. I guess I will take my chances because wasting food is something I just hate to do BUT maybe in the future I will buy the smaller cartons :0)
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    signed,
    eggnorant
    [/quote]

:-) good one
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Why not use them up? Eggs can be added to so many recipes, for any meal of the day. Use them in a recipe, and next time buy the smaller carton?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'd be dead by now if that 7 days rule was anything other than an arbitrary federally mandated guideline based on best guesses.

It's a consumer protection law that they have to follow. It doesn't necessarily reflect the actual date of expiration of the product. Federal USDA guidelines are based on a lot of old information that hasn't and probably never will be changed.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I'd be dead by now if that 7 days rule was anything other than an arbitrary federally mandated guideline based on best guesses.

It's a consumer protection law that they have to follow. It doesn't necessarily reflect the actual date of expiration of the product. Federal USDA guidelines are based on a lot of old information that hasn't and probably never will be changed.

^ If it doesn't smell funky, I EAT IT.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    They have expiration dates?

Never noticed.
  • leemckernan143
    leemckernan143 Posts: 5 Member
    Pretty much everything has expiration dates, even if it's years from now, but you're usually safe to use them for another week.
    This whole conversation makes me think about the preservatives they must use to keep eggs edible this long. Egg beaters have a shelf life of 120 days from the time they leave the production line. If you had a bowl of uncooked (or even cooked) eggs would you still eat them 3 months later?
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Not sure what is in egg beaters with the egg but regular eggs don’t really expire. Maybe the air exposure makes the egg beaters shelf life longer but if it smells, looks, and tastes normal I would not worry.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    OP asked this question 5 years ago - I'm sure the egg beaters are long ago used up now ;)