Runners- ? TM vs. road

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    I've been on the treadmill every morning since last October and finally got a chance to run outside a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how much faster pace I kept outside. I think starting out on the treadmill for so long has helped my form. Years ago I used to run occasionally, all outside, and my shins would kill me. I take a much shorter stride and land less on my heals on the treadmill. That seems to have carried outside.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    ...My typical pace outdoors is currently about 12:00; on the treadmill about 13:30. (I'm about 6 months pregnant so all my "runs" have to be slow and easy, with walk breaks.) I'm guessing it is a mental thing, but what do you think?

That's a fast pace for me! I just like being safe, having my fan, reading material, and NCIS. I look at it for what I can be thankful for, not what I hate about it. In the dead of winter, I'm not going outside, so it's a tool for me, not a "favorite thing in the world to do". It's a discipline. I am looking forward to hitting the pavement with my husband this spring and summer as a result! I pace better outside than on the treadmill as a rule, too. I hope that is the case this year!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    They are totally different, but each serves a purpose for me. I like the obvious when outside-the view, the changing scenery, being able to run with my pooch etc. But I like the safety and zen of a treadmill-I don't have to be aware of everyone and thing around me (traffic, road hazzards,serial killers), so much of the time I just throw on the music and get lost in my thoughts. Often when I look down at the numbers I am surprised how much time and distance I've covered. :bigsmile:

YES! I love my treadmill for these reasons...but I have surround sound with NCIS ready to go, my iPod I can hook into it with Pandora, and even read on walk days, or during warmups and cool downs, AND a BOX FAN pointed right at me! And, the screens challenge me during commerials (cals burned/miles/pace stats). Gotta keep it mixed up!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I think it depends on what you're used to. When I first started running, the treadmill was easier because it helped me slow down my pace to a reasonable level so I could actually breathe and run for more than 30 seconds. The first time I ran outside, I thought I was going to die! I had a hard time keeping the right pace plus there's random hills and even those dips in the sidewalk can mess with you. But as I ran more outside, I got used to it and was able to pace myself very well.

Now the treadmill is absolute torture! I hate running at the same pace constantly and increasing or decreasing at the available intervals never feels right. The only way I'll run on the treadmill now is if I'm doing intervals...
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    We had a treadmill for about a year before we sold it. I'd much rather be outside, regardless of the weather. I'd rather feel the cold and rain than have to run indoors. I think running nowhere is what made me hate it so much.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    I'm so glad someone asked this question! I consistently, 100% actually, maintain a faster pace on road runs than TM runs. Also, I run on my TM with my Nike+ Sportswatch and my foot sensor, and my TM is pretty darned accurate. They are always within a tenth or two of a mile of each other. If someone's treadmill is reading a mile difference, maybe the belt is all stretched out or consider getting a new TM. Also, I actually am a far better runner on the road as far as endurance and pace, and in no way have to double my TM run.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    I don't ever really pay attention to my pace on a treadmill. and, i only use a treadmill when i absolutely can't get outdoors.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Only run on dirt,have never run on TM but love the freedom of the trail and dirt road.I don't think I could run as fast think I would fall off if I was not holding on! And I only run at around 10 min miles.
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    I use to do triathlons and in the winter one year I trained on the treadmill and never did that again because when I went back outside I was started out running less miles then I was when winter started! I am done with running now, literally I just don't do it I go for long hikes and power walks. Sometimes use the treadmill on 10 incline to train for strenuous hiking trips when I can't get out in the forest to do it and it is not the same but does the trick. If I started racing again I would not use it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I like to pretend that the treadmill is measure too long.
    I am at least 1 -2 minutes per mile slower on the treadmill. I struggle to do 3 miles on the treadmill and can easily do 10 miles outside, at a faster pace.
    Like someone else said, it depends on what you are used to. I have read people say that physically the treadmill is easier, but for me, mentally, I struggle. No tv show or music can help me.
    My solution is to do intervals. At least when I am focused on how long I have left in this interval, I spend less time thinking of how miserable I am.

As for the running while pregnant - I don't know if PP meant one shouldn't be running while pregnant or that it would be really hard to do. Most doctors will says running while pregnant is fine if you have already been running, unless you have certain complications. Obviously it is something that one should discuss with her doctor.
  • NotAResolution
    NotAResolution Posts: 58 Member
    Running on a treadmill is exercise. Running on the roads are fun. Running trails is awesome.

I hate running on treadmills.
  • Running on a treadmill makes me feel hatred towards other human beings. Running outside is freedom man... freedom. AMURRICA.

LOL yep..but in Winter there is no option here to run outside in the winter,,,but damn that was funny!!
  • ellemuise
    ellemuise Posts: 34
    I prefer outside. When i run on a treadmill i get bored easy, outside i just feel great!
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    When I started running, I could not run outdoors without the feeling I was going to spontaneously combust. Now I can't run indoors! LOL my pace is much faster indoor, (3mi in 27 min on treadmill, consistent small incline) but outsde I'm looking at 3mi is 31 minutes. the other thing is my neighbourhood is HILLY AS HELL! :)

Either way, you're getting a good workout.

For me, the inside running is harder mentally. I want to stop after a minute, whereas outside I can run for an hour!!!
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    I live in Newfoundland. I've run in blizzard conditions, -25 or so (C) I used to tell myself you can't run outside in the winter too. Then I researched shoes and clothing. I realized the only obstacle to doing what I want is myself. :) get the right gear and you can run in any and all weather!

It's awesome!
    Running on a treadmill makes me feel hatred towards other human beings. Running outside is freedom man... freedom. AMURRICA.

LOL yep..but in Winter there is no option here to run outside in the winter,,,but damn that was funny!!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I run at a faster pace on a TM because I up the pace and stay at that pace consistently for the whole run. I love running outside I'm a little slower because I look around my pace sometimes slows and then speeds back up.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    The incentetive to get there faster is missing from the treadmill, there's just the bored of running in place
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Running on a TM for me is horrid. I get the "hamster on a wheel" syndrome. I absolutely love running outdoors and when I do my pace is faster and my endurance is better. On a TM its hard for me to last half the time I do outdoors.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    I prefer running outdoors for a number of reasons:

1) If I plan out my route/distance, I know exactly how far I have to go before I'm finished.
    -on a treadmill, I find myself looking down at the time/distance too much

2) I'm a big guy and have a heavy foot strike, even on the front of my foot. I hate pounding away on the treadmill amongst all the other cardio bunnies barely making a sound.

3) I prefer the outdoors as the terrain changes on its own, rather than me having to break stride and adjust, or try to follow some pre-programmed 'routine'
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    I'm just the opposite. I don't have a watch when I run outside so I just go with the flow of how I'm feeling. When I'm on the treadmill, my ego gets in my way and I want to go faster. But I typically keep the treadmill for speed workouts because when I'm outside, I just want to enjoy being outside and not worry about time. So of course I go faster on the treadmill...unless I'm racing, then all bets are off and my adrenaline takes over.