Shakeology by beachbody, is it worth it?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

i think its ridiculous that you call yourselves "coaches", knowing full well that this description implies a mentoring capacity for people trying to lose weight. all it really means is that you've got a garage full of meal powder packets you're trying to sell to whoever you can.

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one, but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

it's kind of evil for you to do that, actually. it's a lie of omission that is designed to further your goal of selling your meal powders.

Agreed.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Beware of the beachbody salesmen.. Oops, I mean coaches. Never trust someone who wants to profit off of you. Lots of that goes on here. Despicable.

i hope you dont also trust the FDA....................... that would be hypocritical.
    I do not

good! at least we agree on that. :)
    we probably agree on more than that. I love Tony Horton's workouts. It is the beach body sales people I take issue with. And they do troll here and send uninvited sales messages. I just don't like that or trust it.

that i completely agree with on every level.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Don't buy, just more overpriced items.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Beware of the beachbody salesmen.. Oops, I mean coaches. Never trust someone who wants to profit off of you. Lots of that goes on here. Despicable.

i hope you dont also trust the FDA....................... that would be hypocritical.
    I do not

good! at least we agree on that. :)
    we probably agree on more than that. I love Tony Horton's workouts. It is the beach body sales people I take issue with. And they do troll here and send uninvited sales messages. I just don't like that or trust it.
    That's your post, quoted first up there. You do realize Tony Horton wants to profit from you, right? Not judging him or his products. Just pointing out that he wants to make a profit off of you.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    I dont think shakeology can be compared to other "protein powders", there are many more good ingredients in there. I drank it for a year and a half and love the stuff. It is just too expensive for me to continue using. I have been using protein powders since, but none.. none compare to how shakeology made me feel.. compare the ingredients for yourself
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Most (all of the ones I know about) real professions that advise and counsel clients have specific conflict of interest disclosures that are either mandated by law or by the internal rules of the profession. If I, for example, left any question about who I represented in a particular transaction, and someone was left with any impression that I represented their interests, I could (and should) have my license taken away. I know research scientists also make disclosures about funding, and professors in my profession make similar disclosures. The point is to provide an adequate level of information available regarding potential bias, and then allow people to make informed decisions for themselves. If you consciously choose to step away from such an approach, then you are being deceitful in my (informed) opinion.

Edit: I find it especially distasteful of those people who do not follow the above approach, to constantly argue that bias in research is a reason to ignore it, and to tell unsuspecting consumers that they should instead trust them and their magic shakes.

I agree with this. I don't have a problem with people selling stuff, and if it's good and I have enough spare cash, I might buy it. The thing is, for me a misleading approach - i.e. pretending to be anything other than a sales representative - really puts me off from buying anything. Loads of people do affiliate marketing online, and nothing wrong with it, but I'd much prefer if someone has a direct but subtle approach (e.g. "I'm an affiliate marketer for (....) pm me for more information" written in the signature while they give general advice on internet forums like anyone else would) than this whole "i'm a coach/mentor let me help you" followed by a fake befriending, followed by trying to sell you something. Sales disguised as help really turn me off. Any misleading approach makes me question the whole company. Act like a con-man, and I'll think that's what you are, basically.

So for the salespeople using a misleading approach... you may manage to get sales this way, but how many are you losing by not being direct and honest about it?
  • CoachReddy
    Most (all of the ones I know about) real professions that advise and counsel clients have specific conflict of interest disclosures that are either mandated by law or by the internal rules of the profession. If I, for example, left any question about who I represented in a particular transaction, and someone was left with any impression that I represented their interests, I could (and should) have my license taken away. I know research scientists also make disclosures about funding, and professors in my profession make similar disclosures. The point is to provide an adequate level of information available regarding potential bias, and then allow people to make informed decisions for themselves. If you consciously choose to step away from such an approach, then you are being deceitful in my (informed) opinion.

Edit: I find it especially distasteful of those people who do not follow the above approach, to constantly argue that bias in research is a reason to ignore it, and to tell unsuspecting consumers that they should instead trust them and their magic shakes.

I agree with this. I don't have a problem with people selling stuff, and if it's good and I have enough spare cash, I might buy it. The thing is, for me a misleading approach - i.e. pretending to be anything other than a sales representative - really puts me off from buying anything. Loads of people do affiliate marketing online, and nothing wrong with it, but I'd much prefer if someone has a direct but subtle approach (e.g. "I'm an affiliate marketer for (....) pm me for more information" written in the signature while they give general advice on internet forums like anyone else would) than this whole "i'm a coach/mentor let me help you" followed by a fake befriending, followed by trying to sell you something. Sales disguised as help really turn me off. Any misleading approach makes me question the whole company. Act like a con-man, and I'll think that's what you are, basically.

So for the salespeople using a misleading approach... you may manage to get sales this way, but how many are you losing by not being direct and honest about it?

i'd actually never thought of doing that with the signature, and now I'm going to. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • CoachReddy
    nvm... you can't make signatures anymore on MFP... it was such a good idea too. :P
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    I'm not a coach, but I love BB workouts and I just started working with a great and caring coach and I am going to try the shakes, but samples to see if I like them. I know many people have a things against network marketing, but it is just another form of marketing, like anything else, and I think BB has a good program (to repeat, I am not a coach.)

I usually eat real food and I am generally Primal so If I decide to try Shakeology, I would have to use it as my 20%, but the coach I started working with does not pressure me. I am tempted to try it fpr the convenience though and I have looked at the ingredients that compare to some of the shakes I see in the health food store and they are the same price (if not more)

Sure, you can go to Target and buy a protein shake, or Vitamin Shoppe.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I'm currently doing the Insanity work outs so i'm seeing the little promo's for Shakeology but i'm curious about it. I get that it has nutrients and such so it's "good for you". I'm not going to lie, part of me thinks that at $120/month it's an expensive Slimfast.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience with it?

First, I must tell you up front that I am a Beachbody coach and Shakeology is one of the products we offer.
    Is it worth it? I would suggest Google it and look into it yourself. There will be many that say no, and many that say yes.
    I think it is, not because I sell it, but because I use it. My diary is open if you want to check it out. I usually have it for breakfast.

Look into it and make up your own mind is my suggestion. Shakeology is certainly not the only one of its kind. You will most likely get many responses and suggestions here. I encourage you to check them out.
    Good luck!
    Joe

I take it you closed your diary due to this thread?
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    it's certainly not an expensive slim fast. as for meal-replacement shakes it's absolutely the best combination of taste and quality on the market. the nutrients in shakeology are incredibly high quality, diverse, and things the typical western diet lacks.

that said, whether it's worth it is a whole different story. do you want the nutrients but not care about taste? grab something like NOW Tru-Food Vegan which is $35ish for the same nutrient profile but tastes pretty nasty. Care only about taste but still want a decent nutrient profile? Grab something like VegaOne, Body by Vi, etc, etc. They're all... ok... but include flavorings and extras if you care about that kind of thing.

Or, if you'd prefer to stick with a homemade shake, do that.

With Shakeology it's simply a question of what matters to you? If you want the best nutrients and you want them to taste good and you want it to be convenient, then maybe $4/day is worth it. If you're willing to sacrifice in any of those areas, then it's not worth it.
    Who said they coached little league? I certainly didn't.
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??
    because that's actually what we do.

I haven't actively sold, or attempted to sell a shake in months - but what have I been doing? I've been working with my 100+ clients, helping them lose weight. I have folks I've worked with who have dropped over 100 pounds.

That's not because I "sell shakes", it's because I work with them on creating an eating plan and a fitness plan that works for them, and i help keep them motivated. THAT'S why I consider myself a Coach.

So I understand your frustration with "coaches" in general, but try to understand that most of us aren't looking to make a quick buck and are genuinely working one on one with our clients.
    no I hear you - I really do. I've considered changing it a few times, but the initial reason I picked it wasn't to "fool" anyone - it's just the screen name I've been using alongside my fitness business since I started it (and yes, it's a business. Want a Team Reddy t-shirt?) and before I ever became active on these boards.

I'll be honest - and it's petty - but one of the biggest reasons I haven't changed it is that I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I've helped a lot of people do amazing things, and I'm proud of that. I enjoy coaching and mentoring people, and I like offering advice where I can. I have this feeling that if I were to change it, the group of posters who are none to fond of me and my views would take it as some sort of "victory".

Maybe that's stupid, but the reality is this - my only intention is and has been to help people and to offer whatever insight I have. You don't agree with my opinions? That's cool, it's the internet, you're allowed to, and let's have a silly fight about it, but like I said I'm proud of the things I've accomplished and I enjoy helping people, and that's what makes me want to keep the name.

But I'll think about it. Your points are absolutely valid.

Yeah. Your speeches remind me of the woman who tried to sell me a vehicle with a leak in the fuel line and an issue with the brakes.

"Coaches" like you are why I won't look Beachbody's way. Customers place an order through you for the product you're peddling and you get a percentage of the sale . I don't know how stupid you think we are, but I promise you're incorrect about our gullibility. Aside from that, your posts directly violate the forum guidelines in that you may not promote a product that you or your associates MIGHT profit from. As you work for Beachbody, your associates being your fellow "coaches", it's a direct violation. You're a walking advertisement for a company that you have a biased interest in as they pay you . Am I missing anything?

ETA: And while yes, you offered other options, you implied heavily that by choosing anything but the product you're pimping, the consumer is clearly willing to sacrifice quality for cost.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    it's certainly not an expensive slim fast. as for meal-replacement shakes it's absolutely the best combination of taste and quality on the market. the nutrients in shakeology are incredibly high quality, diverse, and things the typical western diet lacks.

that said, whether it's worth it is a whole different story. do you want the nutrients but not care about taste? grab something like NOW Tru-Food Vegan which is $35ish for the same nutrient profile but tastes pretty nasty. Care only about taste but still want a decent nutrient profile? Grab something like VegaOne, Body by Vi, etc, etc. They're all... ok... but include flavorings and extras if you care about that kind of thing.

Or, if you'd prefer to stick with a homemade shake, do that.

With Shakeology it's simply a question of what matters to you? If you want the best nutrients and you want them to taste good and you want it to be convenient, then maybe $4/day is worth it. If you're willing to sacrifice in any of those areas, then it's not worth it.
    Who said they coached little league? I certainly didn't.
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??
    because that's actually what we do.

I haven't actively sold, or attempted to sell a shake in months - but what have I been doing? I've been working with my 100+ clients, helping them lose weight. I have folks I've worked with who have dropped over 100 pounds.

That's not because I "sell shakes", it's because I work with them on creating an eating plan and a fitness plan that works for them, and i help keep them motivated. THAT'S why I consider myself a Coach.

So I understand your frustration with "coaches" in general, but try to understand that most of us aren't looking to make a quick buck and are genuinely working one on one with our clients.
    no I hear you - I really do. I've considered changing it a few times, but the initial reason I picked it wasn't to "fool" anyone - it's just the screen name I've been using alongside my fitness business since I started it (and yes, it's a business. Want a Team Reddy t-shirt?) and before I ever became active on these boards.

I'll be honest - and it's petty - but one of the biggest reasons I haven't changed it is that I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I've helped a lot of people do amazing things, and I'm proud of that. I enjoy coaching and mentoring people, and I like offering advice where I can. I have this feeling that if I were to change it, the group of posters who are none to fond of me and my views would take it as some sort of "victory".

Maybe that's stupid, but the reality is this - my only intention is and has been to help people and to offer whatever insight I have. You don't agree with my opinions? That's cool, it's the internet, you're allowed to, and let's have a silly fight about it, but like I said I'm proud of the things I've accomplished and I enjoy helping people, and that's what makes me want to keep the name.

But I'll think about it. Your points are absolutely valid.

Yeah. Your speeches remind me of the woman who tried to sell me a vehicle with a leak in the fuel line and an issue with the brakes.

"Coaches" like you are why I won't look Beachbody's way. Customers place an order through you for the product you're peddling and you get a percentage of the sale . I don't know how stupid you think we are, but I promise you're incorrect about our gullibility. Aside from that, your posts directly violate the forum guidelines in that you may not promote a product that you or your associates MIGHT profit from. As you work for Beachbody, your associates being your fellow "coaches", it's a direct violation. You're a walking advertisement for a company that you have a biased interest in as they pay you . Am I missing anything?

ETA: And while yes, you offered other options, you implied heavily that by choosing anything but the product you're pimping, the consumer is clearly willing to sacrifice quality for cost.

QFT
  • I really don't like the negative tone toward a product that has worked for many, many people. I am in my second month of p90 x and used shakeology for my first few weeks. Having compared the content of the shake with other similar shakes, it beats most of them. And there is nothing wrong with new folks buying from a company they trust as part of a program they believe in. And I'll say that it is hands down the best tasting shake I've tried. I don't sell, have never sold and will never sell any sort of fitness product!!!

We're all adults....everyone is capable of determining whether a product works for them and judging it on its merits.

I think a lot of resentment is coming from somewhere other than concern for others. Fact is, the beach body approach seems very honest to me. The materials talk about optimization.....no where does anyone or anything say you have to use use shakeology to lose weight or be healthy. My steepest weightloss came during my shakeology phase and I miss the convenience!

Now I use total lean (gnc) on some days but hate the taste. Bottom line, this is a hard path and I don't see beach body doing anything but help some people meet their goals.

In 2012 on the Internet, I think we are all aware that anyone on a message board could have hidden motives for saying something - be they financial, psychological or emotional!

Edit: it's not that I don't get that they make money. But some seem to act as though there is something wrong with that!!! As if making a living helping people meet health goals is terrible. What about making a living helping people not be healthy? What do you do for a living that is so much better and worthy of esteem?
  • CoachReddy

Other Beachbody coaches aren't my associates. we're "Independent Distributors".

If my posts violated any guidelines I would know about it by now. There were other posts in this very thread that DID violate the guidelines and were removed. Mine are not among them.

I'm not pushing anything on anyone. Y'all are free to make your choice.

In fact, let me go a step further. The reason I haven't attempted to sell Shakeology over the last few months is that I stopped using it myself. Maybe it's temporary, maybe it isn't, I don't know. If I had more $$ I'd probably still be using it. But because I haven't been using it myself, it's disingenuous to try and make money of people by promoting it and selling it - which is why I don't. The post in this thread was simply a response to the OP about my personal experience with Shakeology (yes I've tried those others I suggested) and that I think that - if you can afford it - it's the best shake on the market. But I wasn't trying to sell it to her, nor was I attempting to profit off her in any way.

If you can't see that... well... that's your issue not mine.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    It's overpriced, over-hyped crap, generally sold by sleazeballs.
    Just my opinion mind...
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Just my opinion mind...

I don't sell it, but wow.
  • CoachReddy
    Just my opinion mind...

I don't sell it, but wow.

right?
  • adsaylor
    adsaylor Posts: 36 Member
    It's so worth it. I use it with my chalean extreme workout and I have lost 5.8 pounds.
  • Yes it's worth it and delicious. I mix matcha in with mine. Lost a good amount of weight so far. Me and the girlfriend split the shakes now. We get ours here cheapest http://www.coldsoreproductreviews.com/
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    20740064_368.jpg