Vegan Runners

Are you out there? Would love to chat!:smile:

Replies

• britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 46 Member
    I'm training for a 10k in march :)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 661 Member
    I'm in the midst of training for my first marathon (ran three half marathons last year, have another half coming up in March).

I'm not currently vegan, but I'm starting to transition to vegetarianism and eventually to veganism. I hope to have the transition complete by the time I run my marathon come May. :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,945 Member
    Hi..I'm not a vegan, but a very strict vegetarian my entire life and like Dorian, in the thick of training for a full marathon. There is a GREAT book you might want to look up on amazon called " eat and Run" By Scott Jurek, who is an ultrarunner on a vegan diet. It's a terrific read!

Please feel free to add me, running friends always welcome
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,777 Member
    I'm trying to get back into running building up my endurance. :)
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 190 Member
    Just finished "Eat and Run", as well as "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll . Very cool reads. Nice to learn about the amazing capacities of the human body when fueled properly.:smile:
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 661 Member
    Hi..I'm not a vegan, but a very strict vegetarian my entire life and like Dorian, in the thick of training for a full marathon. There is a GREAT book you might want to look up on amazon called " eat and Run" By Scott Jurek, who is an ultrarunner on a vegan diet. It's a terrific read!

Please feel free to add me, running friends always welcome

Heading over to amazon right now to add this to my wish list...
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 755 Member
    I'll be your vegan running friend. My diet is about 90 to 95% vegan. I ran my first half marathon and Tough Mudder last year. I'm planning at least four half marathons and a full marathon this year as well as Tough Mudder. I'm currently running 25 to 35 miles per week.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 755 Member
    I'll be your vegan running friend. My diet is about 90 to 95% vegan. I ran my first half marathon and Tough Mudder last year. I'm planning at least four half marathons and a full marathon this year as well as Tough Mudder. I'm currently running 25 to 35 miles per week.

Hey, I'm in Seattle too!
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 108 Member
    I too am a vegan runner. Really I run for the social side of it and so I can eat more! Currently training for a half in May and hoping to Complete an ultra later this year. Have just added your books to my must read list
    too!
  • I am also training for a half marathon and my diet is largely vegan.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Well hello to all of you! Glad there are so many of us around here!
    SO now what-do we come up with a name and post mileage and all that? I honestly probably wouldn't keep up with it. :tongue:

Maybe we should just friend each other!:bigsmile:
  • Bethbr00tality
    Bethbr00tality Posts: 112 Member
    I want to be a vegan runner... I just hate running in public. & a treadmill isn't in the budget yet.. Yet!
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 99 Member
    I want to be a vegan runner... I just hate running in public. & a treadmill isn't in the budget yet.. Yet!

Do you have a Fleet Feet by you by chance? They offer a training program. I am in it now and love it. It's very supportive and it's mainly beginners. They show you proper form, how to avoid injury, etc. I feared running in public too & I'm just not coordinated enough for the treadmill! I started out walking, now doing a 1 min walk/ 1min run interval. Next week is 1min run/ 30 sec walk - and also my 1st 5k. I start training for run only in a few weeks (hope I can make it). It feels really good & I've got over my fear of running in public- but still tend to stick to the less busy roads.
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 91 Member

Do you have a Fleet Feet by you by chance? They offer a training program. I am in it now and love it. It's very supportive and it's mainly beginners. They show you proper form, how to avoid injury, etc. I feared running in public too & I'm just not coordinated enough for the treadmill! I started out walking, now doing a 1 min walk/ 1min run interval. Next week is 1min run/ 30 sec walk - and also my 1st 5k. I start training for run only in a few weeks (hope I can make it). It feels really good & I've got over my fear of running in public- but still tend to stick to the less busy roads.

I don't understand the running in public fear, exactly what is the source of the fear, or is it more like anxiety? Seriously interested, I know people are afraid of a lot of things, I know I have my fears too, but it would help me to understand it. Also, I could do for some running lessons, might help me to stop tearing up my knee.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 99 Member

I don't understand the running in public fear, exactly what is the source of the fear, or is it more like anxiety? Seriously interested, I know people are afraid of a lot of things, I know I have my fears too, but it would help me to understand it. Also, I could do for some running lessons, might help me to stop tearing up my knee.

For me, it's being out in public and looking like I am nearly about to die from exhaustion & also all the wrong parts that jiggle while I'm running! I'm very self conscious.(I still don't start running until I get off my street -away from neighbors, and stop once I reach my street.) Doing the program and building up endurance has helped with the first part, building up my self confidence by actually being able to maintain & know I was one the ones that has not dropped out this far in has helped with the 2nd part! Losing a bit of weight has helped a tensy bit too!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,567 Member
    Training for a half in June.

Do you follow "No Meat Athlete"? Read any Brendan Brazier?
  • Bethbr00tality
    Bethbr00tality Posts: 112 Member

Honestly? I hate when people stare at me & yell at me when I WALK to the bus, I can't imagine the amount of attention I'd garner running. Which I truly do not understand. I am really not that great looking, and I'm certainly not walking around half naked or anything. However, I live around EXTREMELY rude people. Like.. a "gentleman" considered it appropriate to roll down his window the other day and tell me not just once, but twice, that "HEY. You have a seriously fat *kitten*!! Damn girl!!" Somehow he thought this was welcome attention. *eye roll* So the idea of running in public just makes me want to throw up, both from anxiety, and from the disgusting people I live around.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,567 Member
    Run before the sun comes up!
  • Luvmyhubby222
    And move! :bigsmile:
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Training for a half in June.

Do you follow "No Meat Athlete"? Read any Brendan Brazier?

I'm not familiar with that one...do tell!:smile: