Flax seed

RaineyLaney
RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
Anyone here use Flax seed for their diabetes?? I was just reading up on the web about the benifits of flax seed and one site i was looking at had this to say

"Diabetes -Preliminary research also suggests that daily intake of the lignans in flaxseed may modestly improve blood sugar (as measured by hemoglobin A1c blood tests in adults with type 2 diabetes)." This was on the WebMD site.

So I just wanted to hear back from others that use Flax seed.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I have a tablespoon everyday - usually in a smoothies with almond milk & PB2. Does it have an effect? I'm not sure, I've changed too many other variables (diet & exercise) to credit one item with having a large impact. I also have a tablespoon of chia seeds every day. The other seed that is supposedly beneficial for diabetics is Fenugreek seeds. I haven't tried these yet.
  • CincyDave
    CincyDave Posts: 17 Member
    I have a tablespoon every morning. I put it in my morning smoothie. I love the taste that it adds. I'm not sure if I can credit it with really helping. I've made so many changes to my diet. But my blood sugar is down, so I'll keep adding the flax seed.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    I put a tbsp in my egg mixture every morning. Is it helping? I have no idea but I am going to keep using it until something tells me it is not working. :smile:
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    I was taking a flax seed capsule everyday as I was told it had the same benefits as fish oil but without the fishy taste and after affects. This is the first I have heard about being a benefit with diabetes. I guess I will start it up again. Has anyone read anything about the benefits of cinnamon? My dad dumps loads of cinnamon on his oatmeal every morning. I have to be cautious with cinnamon because it tends to give me heartburn.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    You need to grind the flax seed into meal. If you eat them whole they will pass through your digestive system undigested and you will not get most of the health benefits

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/AN01258

http://www.livestrong.com/article/481966-can-a-stomach-break-down-whole-flax-seeds/
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    I've started adding the Puritan's Pride flax seed capsules to my diet most days (since I'm not someone who likes pills, this is a major change, and it is a massive work in progress). However, with that said, just in the week or so that I've been using it, my fasting blood sugar has started stabilizing in the low one-teens, where before it would spike up into the 130's. And, since this was introduced after the other trends had stabilized for me, I know it is helping. And, I know dad's been taking these same capsules for the hefty omega 3's that come in it.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Hi I'm new to this group, although I have been following posts here for a while.
    I've been using flaxseed, ground to meal/flour, to make my burger buns, 'bread' rolls and muffins for a few weeks now. Doesn't spike BG and has a texture similar to that of whole wheat bread.
    As far as controlling/stabilizing BG levels, I don't know.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    I use flax meal to make MIMs and mix it with Parmesan to bread things. I also like chia, hemp hearts and almond and coconut flour. All are a great way to get fiber, but all are fairly calorie-dense. Like cinnamon, I'm not sure if it helps regulate BG, but it doesn't hurt my BG and I like the taste so I use it.
  • RaineyLaney
    I was taking a flax seed capsule everyday as I was told it had the same benefits as fish oil but without the fishy taste and after affects. This is the first I have heard about being a benefit with diabetes. I guess I will start it up again. Has anyone read anything about the benefits of cinnamon? My dad dumps loads of cinnamon on his oatmeal every morning. I have to be cautious with cinnamon because it tends to give me heartburn.
  • RaineyLaney

I use cinnamon in capsule form (that way I don't get the heart burn and I am not dousing everything I eat in cinnamon. Yes the cinnamon does help my BS. I have tested it where I don't take it for a day and my sugar will jump up. So yes it does help me. I bought the ground flax meal and will start to use in my foods. I read you don't want to take more than 2 tablespoons a day. and to keep it in the freezer so it doesn't lose all it's healthyness. (I guess it oxidizes too quick in the fridge. From all I read last night on flax seeds it has mega healthy goodness. Helps with lots of stuff. cancer, heart disease, plague in arteries. etc. sounds like it is worth working into my foods. :)