The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Replies

• StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    I am kinda old, but still I didn't think this would happen to me because I wasn't that fat-- This morning I notice that the slab of fat that was covering my abdonen is less, but now the skin is unpleasantly wrinkled and I don't think that will go away. So my bikini years are over, even if I get to my goal weight. :cry:

No worry, there are a lot of sexy options for bottoms! Boy short style or even retro that covers the whole belly! You can still rock that bikini!
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    didnt get all the way through these posts yet, but am going to yet.....thank you everybody for sharing...has helped me in a way, thought i was weird for some of these thoughts...especially the mindset...i dont feel or see myself as different somedays but do in pics and other peoples comments...oh n never expected mixed responses between positive and negative from those around me...but hey...i'm still doin me!
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Things that are still difficult on days are . . .

Looking in the mirror and not seeing the changes you've made. I hate those days but they are becoming less frequent and I make it a point to not hover in front of a mirror for longer than I need to.

Buying clothes during weight loss is annoying, aggravating, but nice all at once.

Lack of support from those closest is painful at times. Stupidly you might assume they'll be there for me in those moments I want to just quit or in the moments when you just rocked out an awesome workout. It's not always the case but I've had to learn to not get bogged down by it.

Just keep pressing on. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    That even if you reach a goal, you'll still find somewhere on your body that you need to lose fat from. Even thinner people go through this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Platypusimus
    Platypusimus Posts: 33 Member
    Oh and the one thing I dont think anyones mentioned yet, my girls are shrinking :( Not that there was much before, now theres less..

Honest to god, that's what I'm really hoping for.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    I would say my thing is, now I am the 'small girl' at work and I am NOT small! I still want to lose 25-30 more pounds and they keep saying' you don't need to lose it' or just roll their eyes when I wont eat something they have at the desk. I wanna scream at them... 'Do you know I used to be a heifer!'
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Losing a ton of weight and still not being happy with the way I look, busting my *kitten* just to maintain, and bruised buttocks from doing situps!

This. It's easy to get into shape physically, but mentally it's hard. When I was fat I was a skinny girl in my mind and that never let me see how big I had gotten. Now I'm a skinny chick on the outside & my mind still sees the fatty I was. I keep getting told how skinny I am, but I still don't see it.
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    I love having to buy new clothes - granted I work from home so my new "wardrobe" costs me like $50 max. I would dread having to replace suits, ect.

I understand comments of success stories. That's tough for me as well. I am happy for them, but it makes me feel more of a failure that I can't figure this out. I feel like my body has a hard code to crack. If I eat too little my weight doesn't budge, but if I eat the slightest amt too much I gain 2 pounds. It's like there's some super secret combination to weight loss success and I'm not privy to that info... like I'm not cool enough to join the club. Weight loss is so individual. Nobody ever told me that in advance.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    I've not hit my goal yet, but you notice that you attract more women. Better sex. The drive multiplies and affects other areas of your life. My voice is lower, this means testosterone levels up and better breathing. There is alot.
  • cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Feeling fat "Mentally" even though you lost alot of weight and ALL the people around you are noticing. Like they said weight loss is a mental challenge before it's physical challenge.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    I love having to buy new clothes - granted I work from home so my new "wardrobe" costs me like $50 max. I would dread having to replace suits, ect.

I understand comments of success stories. That's tough for me as well. I am happy for them, but it makes me feel more of a failure that I can't figure this out. I feel like my body has a hard code to crack. If I eat too little my weight doesn't budge, but if I eat the slightest amt too much I gain 2 pounds. It's like there's some super secret combination to weight loss success and I'm not privy to that info... like I'm not cool enough to join the club. Weight loss is so individual. Nobody ever told me that in advance.
    Oh, man! This, too!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    I am losing weight to look good, but I really only want to look good for me. I know a lot of people want to be able to show off their bikini bodies, but I don't want that. I am very shy about my body and was that way even when I was small, which people don't understand. I am not suddenly going to go out and buy tight, form fitting clothes because I have lost some weight. I never have and my personality isn't going to change now.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Lastly, nobody tells you how awful it feels when your body gets more efficient. I mean, how you mentally feel. When I first started, I could do a half-effort workout for 30 minutes, burn an easy 300 calories, and feel accomplished. Now it takes almost an hour of true effort to burn 300 calories... and I'm still fat!! I always thought my heart would not be efficient until I was in the mid-150's or so.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    My rings are so loose now....need to size them down!

Yes! I stopped wearing my wedding ring, because it literally just falls off now. I want till I get to my GW before sizing it down

I'm wearing mine on a chain as a necklace until resizing or getting a new one.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    your sex drive gets bigger
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    For me the biggest thing is always thinking I'm fat!
    I've never been huge,
    Just a little chubby,
    Last year I lost just over a stone and still thought I was fat as I was still around a stone from goal weight
    I'm hoping when I get to my goal weight which is 140, I'll stop having that fat mentality!
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    That it would be a long learning experience. That at the beginning I would know pretty much nothing. Small lifestyle changes I was aware of but not all the other stuff like what was really good for you, e.g. protein is not just for gluttons.

That I would not want to go back to my old lifestyle. That I would become someone I used to dislike - someone who enjoyed healthy eating and exercise. That my tastes would change and that I would choose my life now over my old one because I prefer it.

That my focus would shift from doing it to lose weight, to health and fitness with weight loss as a nice bonus.
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    I just bought a pair of jeans two weeks ago. Today I had them on and kept pulling them up so I know in the next week or two, they will be too big thus I went out and bought the same jeans but a size smaller. Total waste of money for only wearing jeans for about three weeks. Thing is, this will happen usually every 15 lbs. I have wasted sooo much money on clothes. Had to keep buying bigger and bigger "fat clothes" for a while. Now I am buying smaller clothes which are not going to be worn long. Expensive!

I am also scared what my tummy is going to look like if I lose. Right now the skin looks good, but it is stretched out. what happens when the fat goes and the skin gets baggy? Or will it?I don't even know.
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    I never thought I would enjoy being so disciplined about what I put in my mouth and the regularity of exercise.

I think I have finally learned that eating is not the "be all and end all"
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    1. I cannot visually notice any of my weight loss.
    2. As I do not have a lot to lose I generally find that my friends are not supportive. Often hear: 'if you lose anymore you will waste away'
    3. Can get into old work clothes :)
    4. Feel so much healthier :)))))