Moms - When do you find the time?

Replies

• dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    You have to make time - finding it just won't happen. I'm 32, homeschooling mom of four (13, 7, 6, and 2). I work part-time (weekend overnights). My oldest is a competitive fencer, so we have to get him back and forth to lessons five to six times a week. The 7 year old and 2 year old both have multiple medical conditions, so we average 3 doctor's appointments a week. The 6 year old is involved in both fencing and gymnastics and I teach or co-teach 8 classes a month with our homeschool group. Making time to work out is definitely tough, but I'm getting out to the Y 3-4 times a week and doing a dvd at home 2-3 other days a week. It's rarely at the same time two days in a row, but I chisel out time nearly every day. You can do it!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Mother of 2, work fulltime...

I pick them up when I get done with work and we go straight to the gym (usually 3-4 times/week) or I go for a short run and hit the gym after they go to bed. On the weekends, I go for a run early Saturday morning.

During their baseball season, we usually have practice every night, so I'll go after I get them settled into bed. If it's been a rough day, I'll take a rest day without the guilt. But, working out makes me feel better so I do everything I can to fit it into my schedule.
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    bump
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    I am 40, two kids (11 & 6), full time job (from home but I have to work 7:30 - 5:00 so its not as flexible as others are) and my husband works overnights (7:30 pm - 8:30 am). I admire those that get up in the morning -- but I just can't -- total night owl.

**I do get a 45 minute lunch so I try to fit in a 30DS workout over lunch. You tube has lots of workouts that fit into your schedule. It's nice that if its 9:00 at night and i haven't gotten to a class or the gym, I can find a workout and do it in my living room after both kids are in bed.
    **My husband gives me 1-2 evenings at the gym by taking care of the kids by himself (buy in from him has been the main thing this time around...he's willing to take my son to saxophone lessons or basketball practice etc)
    **If I need to go to the gym, I will wait until my 6 year old is in bed and then the 11 year old can babysit
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    I'm a single mother with a 4 y.o. son. I work full time and I have a part-time business venture as well. I can do an occasional class here and there but, in general, the gym doesn't work for me. I workout in the evenings after my son goes to sleep... it doesn't matter how late!
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Quite frankly, if you want to do it, you'll find a way and make time. If you don't, you won't.

All you need is 20 minutes a day - it doesn't even have to be consecutive.
    Get up 20 minutes earlier (it's only 20 frickin minutes, don't whine about being tired just suck it up and do it, that 20 minutes sleep ain't gonna make a lick of difference), grab a jump rope and get jumping. Do some bodyweight exercises.
    Walk in place while you watch TV.
    Do jumping jacks and bodyweight exercises in the ad breaks.
    Got stairs? run up them.

Regular exercise will make you feel *less* tired once your body gets used to it (a week, two tops). Lethargy breeds lethargy.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    I made my workout a priority and stopped feeling guilty for it.
    The center I go to has daycare for some of the classes, and I plan my day around going to those classes.
    And to be honest, the household chores have been neglected. I'm backed-up in laundry but I'm 20 lbs down!
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    I don't work outside of the home but I do have four children, all involved in things after school, three at least a few nights each week. I also do the majority of the housework and cook 95% of all meals. I think it's just decidingto make it a priority. I would start with 30 minutes, either before you go to work, during your lunch hour if possible, or perhaps after dinner. You will find the time if you really want it. Sometimes while I'm cooking, I do squats, some yoga moves, and dancing, it all counts in the end. Get creative if you can't carve out a solid hour. :)
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    I am 38....2 kids...lucky though because I work at home but I'm a babysitter so I can have up to 6 kids at once....I exercise whenever I can find the time to squeeze it in...jump on the stationary bike while the little one naps or everyone is eating lunch...walk in the evening...that sort of thing...you just find the time...it's never the same time everyday and it's not always possible EVERY day....we do the best we can :)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    You just do. Chances are good that you have plenty of time to work out, but it's just an inconvenience. Pick a time of day and just start doing it. If that time of day doesn't work, at least you're not just putting it off and you have a starting point for figuring out a different time. You may have to shift things around, try various routines, but just get started. Even if it's going for a 30 minute walk, jog or run on your lunch hour on days when you can't do more, do something.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    I made my workout a priority and stopped feeling guilty for it.
    The center I go to has daycare for some of the classes, and I plan my day around going to those classes.
    And to be honest, the household chores have been neglected. I'm backed-up in laundry but I'm 20 lbs down!

^^^^^ I LOVE THIS!!!!! I agree, your priorities change! oh well if the laundry is a little backed up, or whatever chore is backed up. When you grow old, you wont thnk back and sy " i wish i would of cleaned more" LOL
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    I'm a 37 yr old mother of 2 and I said the same thing a year ago. A brutally honest friend who would get up most mornings at 5am to fit her workout in told me when I asked how she did that every morning that when I wanted to do it and wanted to change, I'd do it. On the weekends I hit the gym 1st thing in the am before my mind can question what I'm doing. During the week I have a DVD set that I do right after the kids go to bed. Yes, I'm tired most nights and don't want to do it, but I make myself do it and feel so good afterwards. Make the plan and follow through!
  • thinkcrystal
    thinkcrystal Posts: 48 Member
    I have found that i was actually making up an excuse when i say i dont have time. But i get soooooo frustrated when i hear people stories about making time, or squeezing something in for 30-45 minutes. Truth is .....its just that-excuses!! I have a 6 year old (in school) and a 1 year old boy. When he naps, i can be working out, i can walk with him in his stroller...the options are there. I just dont take advantage of it. Im so DONE with excuses. I deserve more than these excuses i come up with it. I just have to want it bad enough!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I'm only a dad. I've got tons of time on my hands.
    Really, I just choose to get up at 3:00 AM to work out because 6 hours of sleep a night is more than I really need.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    I also have a full time job and 2 kids (6 and 10).
    I take them to the gym with me. The youngest loves the daycare there and the 10 year old is allowed to run around the gym - as in the gym, not the entire facility, or the pool. She has friends there that she can usually meet up with or she shoots basket or runs the track. At this point I only do an hour cardio there, then get the youngest and we all meet at the pool for awhile.
    I try to eat protein on the days I am going to workout when I workout at home, I wait until the youngest is in bed and the oldest does her own thing while I take 25 min to allow Jillian Michaels to kick my butt *lol*
    I only have a 30 min lunch at work - a coworker and I plan on taking walks during that in the near/warmer future. If it were longer, I would probably kick it at the gym during THAT time..
    ..and that's what I do! :)
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Lock my kids in the closet with an Apple App. Yeah there is an app for that. No seriously, I joined a gym with a daycare. Also I told my husband if I don't get my "Me-time" He wont get his.

:laugh: I could have used that app once upon a time! I used to threaten to lock mine in a closet and keep the survivors. (They knew beyond any doubt I was not serious so please, no scolding about child abuse!)

Seriously, spouses have to understand that those precious few minutes may be what keeps the relationship going, physically and emotionally. Far too many do not have a clue what the other half goes through daily. I was really one of the fortunate ones. My husband does whatever it takes to make sure I can go to the gym. We no longer have kids at home (youngest is 18 and HS senior.) but when we did, he would swap off with me watching kids and gym time so we both got to workout.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    I'm a sahm to 4 kids under age six. I go to the gym at 5 am before my husband gets up to get ready for work. Before that, I was working out in the evenings, but I like mornings better. It was hard at first, but this is really important to me, so I make it work.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    I get up at 5:15 a.m., 4 days a week to be to work by 7:00 a.m. I refuse to get up any earlier to work out. I am lucky enough to have a gym at my work and supportive co-workers, so I walk 2 miles on the treadmill on my lunch hour. If I can't squeeze in anything at home, I at least know I did that much. I used to come home and do Jillian 30DS every night, but it just got too much. Now I just do level 3 two or three times a week right when I get home at 6:00 p.m. before I lose steam. I sit my kid in front of the TV, but it's only for a 20 min. DVD so I don't beat myself up about it. On days I don't work (Fri-Sun) I walk on my own treadmill and do the 30DS or a Kettleworx DVD at some point during the day.

Some days may be crazy and I only do a 30 minute walk, but it was more than I used to do. I'm proud I move a little each day, after years of being a couch potato. Take what time you can and make the most of it.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i work out on my lunch break or i go after work and use the gym's free daycare. Sacrificing sleep is never the answer and i wont go on less than 8 hours of sleep each night. if you have to cut something out, cut out TV
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    You ladies are so dedicated. I need to quit moaning and crack on.

Supermums