Veggie food ideas

Any one have any ideas of what veggie food I can eat that's low in calories?? Struggling to think of something other than veggie pizza & chips :-) though that's my favourite....

Replies

• newvegangoddess
    newvegangoddess Posts: 16 Member
    Hi! :)

Sometimes, I like to mix chopped veggies and beans to make veggie-burgers (and I add some spices, too!). Or, I wrap some veggies in rice paper.

:)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    vegetable chilli or curry?

spicy roasted vegetables?

probably best to get ideas from the food diary of a vegetarian really - I'm sure they don't live on pizza & chips haha!
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Veggie soups are yummy too. I have an app on my tablet thats simply called recipes and it lets me filter by categories. i made our family have one vegetarian night a week and I was able to find a bunch of yummy things on there that are healthy as well.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Veggie Lasagna, Homemade Veggie Soup is Awesome! Experiment in the kitchen, that's what I do! :happy: Of course I live alone now so if something turns out....yuk, I don't have to feed anyone my failed experiment! :laugh: :explode:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Veggie Lasagna, Homemade Veggie Soup is Awesome! Experiment in the kitchen, that's what I do! :happy: Of course I live alone now so if something turns out....yuk, I don't have to feed anyone my failed experiment! :laugh: :explode:

Ha, me too!

I love vegie lasagna, vegie burgers (cooked from scratch), curries, soups, salads... the list goes on. I rely heavily on the Internet. So for example this past weekend I googled "vegetarian slow cooker easy" for ideas. Other times I google a particular ingredient I feel like using "easy recipe chia vegetarian" for example.

You'll notice I'm fond of easy recipes :smile:
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    I have found some fun recipes on bbcfood.com such as a curry. You just find things you can cut calories on. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2027/onepot-mushroom-and-potato-curry That was devoured by people in the house. It was really good. I used a tikka masala paste rather than curry past so mine was an orange color. I have found since the change of eating to start experimenting on food that is different for you. Foods I never would have eaten or foods I thought I hated I've come to enjoy. I use to hate red bell peppers but now I use them all the time. Eggplant (or aubergine depending on your country) is so versatile and can be eaten in many forms like roasted veggies, curries, "chips" or even as a "steak". :)

If you're an omnivore that eats meat but you want to add veggies look at vegan and vegetarian recipes for great ideas then you can just add in meat if you want meat. You'd be surprised though how filling the dishes can be and you might even end up eating less meat if that is your goal?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I love falafel. Hugh fearnley whittingstall has a veggie book on play.com all his recipes are great!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,868 Member
    There's ways to cook veg called steamed, baked, boiled and fried, I know, it can be daunting, but you might want to give those a try.:happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Ratatouille.
  • I made a soup with shredded carrots green onion yellow peppers tomatoes green beans that way I eat it before or during makind supper so I am not so starving at supper
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Check out the awesome world of lentils - Indian cookery is fantastic and spicy food speeds up metabolism.
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
    Can anyone recommend an easy and tasty veggie burger recipe?
  • emsicle_o
    emsicle_o Posts: 162 Member
    Casseroles, anything with lentils. Take a look at this site. Has tons and tons of recipes.

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Can anyone recommend an easy and tasty veggie burger recipe?

check ou this link:
    Veggie burger heaven:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/veggieburgerrecipes/tp/bestburgers.htm
  • parrrp
    parrrp Posts: 14 Member
    I saw this lentil soup recipe in the guardian last year, it turns out consistently delicious and I make it all the time now! I put more like 4 cloves of garlic in, and often substitute a swede for the potato.
    edit - I don't think worcestershire sauce is vegetarian if that matters!

We love to eat: Edna's beautiful lentil soup
    Ingredients
    1 onion
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 carrot
    1 large potato
    1 tin of tomatoes
    6oz (170g) split red lentils (or half red, half green)
    1 tsp mixed herbs
    2 bay leaves
    2 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper
    2 pints of water or stock
    Chop the vegetables then place all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with crusty bread and cheese.
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    I made black bean and sweet potato enchiladas with homemade tomatillo sauce last night. Super good and filling. I get many recipes from vegetariantimes.com
  • xxTracey
    xxTracey Posts: 85 Member
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    I like to do either a fajita veggie mix or a stir fry veggie mix.
    * For my fajita veggie mix I throw in some sliced bell peppers and onions into a pan and cook with a little olive oil and garlic.
    * For my stir fry veggie mix I'll throw in some snow peas, onion, sliced carrots, sliced bell peppers, sometimes some zucchini and cook with some garlic, olive oil and soy sauce.

You really can chop up about anything, throw it in a pan and add a few ingredients for some flavor!
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    What foods do you like? Then we can help you figure out how to take those foods and swap out the animal products for plants.
  • tinkerbellmad
    tinkerbellmad Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you all.... I think I'll have too google some veggie recipes xx