Getting healthy organically

I just joined today and I am interested in getting into better body shape. I will not be doing any "diets" diets fail. my family and I have made a life change. We only eat food that is all organic and clean. If it didnt grow from the ground, wasnt born or hatched... well... we dont eat it. :)

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    That's the best way! We eat very clean here too although I can't afford all organic but I do grow an organic garden so that helps. :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I think that's awesome. I try to do the same. Fair warning: you'll probably be bashed for this. Just remember the naysayers are not feeding you or your children, and there are more important things than just weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • oh yes i knowthe bashing already. We have been told we are crazy and made fun of by friends and family. I believe people only make fun or bash things they dont understand or are threatened by. We are all clean all the way down to the household and personal body products we use. We make our own soaps and only use organic virgin coconut oil for lotion, conditioner, ect... I have never felt this good in my life. I am currently living in England but will be moving to Alaska in 6 months.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Best way to do it, no doubt!

As of the first of the year, we stopped buying grocery store meats and began getting them from a local farmer. We are able to go down and see his very small farm and animals whenever we want, so we know they're treated well. No hormones, no antibiotics, grass fed goodness! He hooks us up with pork, beef (from non-commercially used Jersey cows, which are awesome), turkey, chicken, eggs and vegetables. It's more expensive than grocery store stuff, but it's so, so worth it-- it's REAL food and you know where it came from and what went into it. The products he can't provide us with-- cheese, cream, milk and some fruits and vegetables-- we've started to buy organic as well. I <3 Organic Valley products-- they source family farms and have fantastic practices. Their pastured organic cream is the BEST in morning coffee! :D
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    oh yes i knowthe bashing already. We have been told we are crazy and made fun of by friends and family. I believe people only make fun or bash things they dont understand or are threatened by. We are all clean all the way down to the household and personal body products we use. We make our own soaps and only use organic virgin coconut oil for lotion, conditioner, ect... I have never felt this good in my life. I am currently living in England but will be moving to Alaska in 6 months.

And yes, this! I'm also grain free (haha... well, 95%-- I had a little run-in yesterday with some rye bread...lol). My extended family has been saying really rude things to me lately. "You know you're really running off the rails..." "What are you, some kind of hippy now?" It's hurtful, but it's ignorant. Let them eat garbage and keep taking their Lipitor and their blood pressure meds. My quality of life will be better! :)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    We have 2 of 3 kids in our house who are sick a lot. They also have some food issues. So, with an already difficult diet established, I try to go as organic as possible. I also try to avoid as best as I can HFCS and nitrates/nitrites. It's a little tricky when there're kids involved. Just a few days ago at the grocery a woman got angry with me when she offered me a 2L bottle of orange soda - just out of kindness, no strings attached or anything - and I turned her down. HOW DARE I TURN DOWN HER KIND OFFER OF TOXIC LIQUIDS!!! The kids were bummed out and she walked away pretty sour at us. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

We're lucky - we have a local co-op that delivers us a box of organic fruits/veggies every Monday. Which is pretty cool. We never know what's in the box till we open it. Then it's like Christmas on Monday.

Enjoy your organic lifestyle. It sounds like you really have it together.
  • terrydba
    terrydba Posts: 14 Member
    You're not crazy. We have been mostly organic for 20 years. Food is best and tastes best when it is real food. What is there to naysay about that? Enjoy it all. Feel free to send a friend request.
  • It makes you feel good doesn't it?! To know what you are putting in your body. My husband catches crap for it at work being that military guys are not suppose to be granola I guess but we are doing what we feel is best.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I just joined today and I am interested in getting into better body shape. I will not be doing any "diets" diets fail. my family and I have made a life change. We only eat food that is all organic and clean. If it didnt grow from the ground, wasnt born or hatched... well... we dont eat it. :)

I can't think of anything I've ever eaten that wasn't grown from the ground, born, or hatched.

Except maybe hydroponic tomatoes.
  • :happy: It makes me feel like an amazing parent to know my kids are getting a great start at life. It makes me so sad to see all of these unhealthy parents herding their innocent children off of the preservative cliff. My son was hard to convert at first but now we go to the store and he doesnt even look at candy. He asks for carrots or tomatoes. :) We also juice alot. I have been making some of the best taking juice combos recently. I am addict now.
  • By only eating things from the ground, born or hatched. I mean that in a clean pure state. I dont eat anything with chemicals, additives, preservatives, colorings, flavors, concentrates...ect!
  • jonnythan
    By only eating things from the ground, born or hatched. I mean that in a clean pure state. I dont eat anything with chemicals, additives, preservatives, colorings, flavors, concentrates...ect!

I hate to be the jerk here, but everything is a chemical. Literally everything in the world that exists is a chemical. "Additives" has no meaning whatsoever; pretty much everything you eat has "additives." Putting salt on a piece of fish is an "additive." Even organic food has preservatives, colorings, flavorings, and concentrates.

It's nice that you want to eat organic, but I think it's important for you to have a realistic and accurate opinion on what that actually means.
  • I only eat locally grown fruits and veg. I eat few select meats from an organic farm 5 miles down the street. I am puzzled by why you have taken your time to comment if you are just going to be rude, arrogant, and spiteful. Do you have someone in your life being hurtful and negative to you so you feel the need to take out your anger and negativity towards others? There is no need to be a condescending pessimist. If you don't agree with how my family and I choose to live that is fine. Please by all means go enjoy your Big Mac or what ever junk you prefer being as how you have made it clear you consider all food equal. I will continue to believe how my husband and I are living is what is best for our family. :heart:
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    I am an Organic Farm & Food Inspector - I audit farms for a living.

The organic movement is a niche market and cannot feed the world. Organic Standards demand non GM in foods and Feed stuffs, and the only way Animal Feed Producers can make High Protein Rations contaning - Organic Non GM Protein is from from Organic Soya - most of which is produced in Brazil - after the destruction of Rain Forest.

Organic Hen Feed contains Fishmeal.

Balance would be the key - local can be better.

Thanks for keeping me in a job.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Best way to do it, no doubt!

As of the first of the year, we stopped buying grocery store meats and began getting them from a local farmer. We are able to go down and see his very small farm and animals whenever we want, so we know they're treated well. No hormones, no antibiotics, grass fed goodness! He hooks us up with pork, beef (from non-commercially used Jersey cows, which are awesome), turkey, chicken, eggs and vegetables. It's more expensive than grocery store stuff, but it's so, so worth it-- it's REAL food and you know where it came from and what went into it. The products he can't provide us with-- cheese, cream, milk and some fruits and vegetables-- we've started to buy organic as well. I <3 Organic Valley products-- they source family farms and have fantastic practices. Their pastured organic cream is the BEST in morning coffee! :D

If you think Non- Commercially viable Jersey Beef has never had anti-biotics you are sadly mistaken. Bull dairy calves are immediately removed from their mothers (within hours) - they do not get adaquate colostrum and therefore suffer dreadfully with diseases such as Pneumonia - the only answer to keep them alive....Antibiotics. Sorry to burst the bubble.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    I think people who don't know how harmful non organic foods are are the crazy ones!
    I WISH that I could feed my kids 100% organic, it's just so expensive.
    I do what I can tho
    *le sigh*
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    You'd be right at home where I live (in Oregon). :)

Lots of organic options. We have a local chain of grocery stores that's absolutely wonderful. They label what items are from local people/vendors, they have organic options for 99% of the things they carry, and I can get local organic grass-fed beef from the meat department.

I try to eat as much organic as I can, and am working on eating as clean as I can.
  • jonnythan
    People are very confused about what the words organic, chemical, additives, and preservatives mean.
  • ShaunMc1968
    People are very confused about what the words organic, chemical, additives, and preservatives mean.

Really? I am not.
  • jonnythan

Really? I am not.

No. You are not.