What's your favorite wine?

Melissa22G
Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
Red or white, Cabs?

Have a get together this weekend and wanted to try something new. Usually go for La Crema or Mark West.

What's yours?

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    I don't drink wine.......someone tell me where to start, lol
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member

Anything in a large box!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member

Anything in a large box!

Oh yuck! Nothing in a box! :sick:

I prefer the following:
    Barefoot Cabernet
    Layer Cake Primitivo
    Whispering Pines Cabernet
    Chateau Ste. Michelle cabernet

Yeah, I'm a big Cab fan. :bigsmile:
  • Melissa22G
    Large box? LOL
  • Melissa22G
    Love cabs too! I've had Barefoot before and like it, will have to look into the others. Thx!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member

Start with White....champagne...then slowly start adding reds into meals...I LOVE wine now.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Depends on what I'm eating. I like them all...

I love Malbec or a full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon for steak.
    I also like garnacha for hearty meals.
    Pinot noir has great range and can go from fish, poultry and can even stand up to meat dishes
    I also prefer un-oaked Chardonnay for lighter fare.
    Gewürztraminer for poultry dishes is great and I guess my favorite at the moment is Riesling specially a late autumn vintage.
    I love to pair that with Thai or Indian food.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    I just like wine, but my favourite is Asti Canti, very sweet :)
  • Melissa22G

Pinot noir has great range and can go from fish, poultry and can even stand up to meat dishes
    Gewürztraminer for poultry dishes is great and I guess my favorite at the moment is Riesling specially a late autumn vintage.

Malbec is another yummy one!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    My fav of all time is Pissarres Priorat, delicious red that I tried at a tasting. Runs about $25, I usually buy around the $15 mark so its only for special occassions.... I love a good cabernet so my typical purchase is either Bonterra or Ghost Pines, both really good cabs.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member

I think I love you. :blushing: I really like the unoaked Chardonnay, Mer Soleil Silver... really cool ceramic bottle too
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Chianti, Rioja :smile:
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    If you can find a California Zin, the real red, not the 80's style white zin, go with it. Usually they are very reasonably priced and the quality of a Cal Zin is much higher for the cost than most other California reds. I'd go with a Central Coast label, because they've been producing Zin's longer, with older vines, but if you want to splurge, Sonoma Valley releases some really good Zins.

ORRRR, you could go with a Brunello, and Italian red, but it will cost you.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    A good merlot. Champagne, preferably Mumm, but I there's something so comforting about a bottle of Veuve. There are quite a few bargain basement traminers I like, and I won't say no to a New Zealand sauvignon blanc.

I love wine. Wish I knew something (anything) about it, save for what tastes the nicest. It would be good to be certain about which wine to pair with my food but I figure that's what a sommelier and the staff at my favourite independent bottle shop are for.
  • Agree with Daphne_M. A good Merlot or Cab is usually my choice. My favorite cab is from Chappellet http://www.chappellet.com and the best Merlot I've had is from Ehlers Estate (they donate a % of sales to cardiovascular research too!).

For a cheaper, but still very high quality alternative, try the Garnet Vineyards Pinot Noir, either the Carneros or Monterey version. Both are exceptional and cost $19 and $15 respectively - http://www.garnetvineyards.com is their site but I don't think you can order it there... Probably my favorite Pinot, and I have tried A LOT, living in Napa for the past four years.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    My favorite bottle of wine is Two Hands Angel Share Shiraz. It's absolutely delicious.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Red or white, Cabs?

Have a get together this weekend and wanted to try something new. Usually go for La Crema or Mark West.

What's yours?

Favorite white - Pinot Gris, Sauvignon blanc a close second

Favorite Red- Tie Cabernet/Malbec
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Moscato is always great! Or any of the Confectioners brand. They are all sweet :)
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Ravenswood Old Vine Zinfandel - I rarely drink wine (which is funny, considering I work at a winery), but this is my favorite.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    rose!!