Really! - how do you get a flat stomach?

Replies

• dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    My Dr. who is insanely fit; told me that I have to go to bed hungry, and wake up really hungry. Eat more protein, less carbs (less fruit, more veggies), and finish eating by 6 p.m. . I'm having a tough time because I'm a night eater. Judging by him though, it works.

I second this.
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    I have found that doing speed workouts, in addition to distance running and a strength training program works best for me, but then that should work for everyone.

This. Adding sprints to my running workouts helped me lose 4 inches around my hips/lower belly in eight weeks. Also, doing ab workouts faster and combining intervals of lowering the heart rate and speeding it back up has helped my body fat.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen... seriously they are. Eat clean, clean, clean. Specifically no added sugars or processed foods.

For added success, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. Strength training your whole body will make your body far more efficient. This helps tremendously when reducing BF.

second this! Eat well and lift and continue to lose bodyfat -- weight and composition are not solely based on the scale and the crap we google that says what "overweight" is
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Thanks for the info! Yes, I deadlift, OHP, squats, lunges, barbell rows. Play badminton once a week and go for a walk once or twice a week. I have been avoiding most processed foods but I still eat wholegrains like rice, pasta, bread. I always end up with more fruit than veggies. I have fish once or twice a week. I LOVE greek yogurt and peanut butter. I plan to reset JM 30DS on April 1st. I just did Level 1 so far and 2 times of Level 2. But it's been like 10 days since I did it again so Im just gonna restart the whole thing on April 1st. I have an issue with water so I always have MIO flavor enhancer in it. I currently eat around 1700 cals a day and my TDEE is 2024 and BMR of 1450 approx.

Rice? Brown or White? White is not good for ABs.
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    They are definitely made in the kitchen. I work my butt off exercising 5 - 6 days a week and have been at goal weight for a year already, but those damn abs elude me. I am currently doing Chalean Extreme and I am noticing a difference finally, but I know I'm not going to get there until I stop eating sugar & refined flour products. I have really realised after months of seriously working on reducing my BF%, that I am not going to get there through exercise alone. "Abs are made in the kitchen" - as Chalene Johnson says during her ab workout.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    I suspect the doctor was trying to get at creating a caloric deficit. Historically physicians have not been well-educated in the area of diet so he didn't do a great job of saying that.

Are you talking about a stomach where you can see your abdominal muscles more distinctly or an area you can rest a plate when you are horizontal? You can have a decent amount of body fat (trim but not cut) and still have a relatively "flat" abdominal area depending on how your fat is distributed. Abs also do have some shape when they are built. How often and how many reps do you work your abs now? Mine now (post babies) respond best to daily work.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    My Dr. who is insanely fit; told me that I have to go to bed hungry, and wake up really hungry. Eat more protein, less carbs (less fruit, more veggies), and finish eating by 6 p.m. . I'm having a tough time because I'm a night eater. Judging by him though, it works.

Well then I should I have a flat tummy and I don't. This is me exactly.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen... seriously they are. Eat clean, clean, clean. Specifically no added sugars or processed foods.

For added success, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest. Strength training your whole body will make your body far more efficient. This helps tremendously when reducing BF.

This is the only good advice in this thread.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Oh and Im diabetic so I do stay away from processed sugars most days BUT when i do decide to "go on er", it's a all or nothing kind of thing. When it happens, I indulge in a chocolate bar, a $1 worth of 5 cent candies, a box of nerds, and some ketchup chips.

What are ketchup chips...? :huh:
    Lol, really? are you serious! They are like the best tasting, ketchupy, fatty fried potato of all time!!!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    FULL on sprint intervals burn tummy fat instantly!!
    Run as hard as you can for 200 meters, then walk at like 3.5mph for 200 meters.

repeat as many times as you can.

youll see a difference, trust me.

I usually run about 9 to 9.5mph for my 200 meter interval, walk then repeat. god is it gratifying also and it conditions my lungs for my long slower jogs that i take on other days.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    This. Tough to go to bed 'hungry' or what my body has thought 'hungry' is.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member

That is terrible advice.. you should not go to bed hungry..
  • eAddict

This is the only good advice in this thread.
    I need to find that article again. The amount of fat that muscle burns is so insignificant by itself. It is the training and diet (diet = being what you take in NOT a fly-by-night-eating-program) that do the best. Rarely if EVER do you see someone who is very muscled say 'gee, now i have 1% BF and all muscles I don't need to work out anymore since my muscles will handle it all'.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    This is a awesome bro science thread. Maybe one of the best, with even a Dr referenced. Amazing. No more eating after 6 pm. Lol

Also avoid white foods
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdxYw9QacR4q_5r1ogvBdF3-_h0nmaZL6bwUFSQZuXLhDgvGZUmA
  • eAddict
    [/quoteThat is terrible advice.. you should not go to bed hungry..
    How many of us are really just not full vs really 'hungry'? (raise hand). This was one of the hard things for me to do - eat when HUNGRY and not when just an empty stomach.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Lifting and really closely watching the foods you eat. I have noticed that Kettlebells is helping a great deal I have been doing the Kettlenetics with Michelle Khai,I started doing lots of cardio and lost weight but my stomach was still there but the Kettlenetics is what started to trim that off pretty quick. And Tae Bo has trimmed some off my lower waist. The Kettlebells really help alot with the stomach area. Or sculpting type workouts with weights. Like Crunch Total Resculpt with Kendall Hogan, or Jari Love Get Extremely Ripped has some awesome workouts with weights.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Your Dr. Is an idiot.

I concur.

This. It is not just a matter of losing weight, but improving your body composition, i.e., less body fat while retaining lean body mass.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member

What are ketchup chips...? :huh:

It's a Canadian thing! ketchup flavoured chips/crisps. Kind of like bbq, but a little sweeter, less bite.