Wrist/hand weight exercises

I have just purchased some wrist weights, only 1lb each to start me off. Everyone on here is always talking about weight training etc so wanted to give it a whirl if only a little bit. Does anyone have any exercise or workout tips for using them. Found a few online but would like to know what's worked for you :). Help appreciated.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Honestly, take them back. 1 pound isn't going to give you much benefit. I mean, think abut it, you lift way more than that on a regular basis.
  • Tats1000
    Tats1000 Posts: 36 Member
    But wouldn't constant repetition of any weight be beneficial at the start? I didn't want to get any too heavy and hurt myself. Plus I totally guessed the weight needed, lucky I didn't get the 0.5lb ones then ha
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    insert non helpful sexual innuendo here ___________________________________
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    You'd be better off to learn good form on the bigger lifts with body weight. You'd be surprised at how much you can actually lift. Lots of reps with low weights is only going to improve endurance, it may not even help preserve much mass. I'd suggest adjustable dumbbells tonstart with, if great really nervous about the insights being too heavy.
  • CHexham
    CHexham Posts: 6
    I agree with the advice regarding returning the 1 pound. If you're looking at wrist and forearms, at least get 3 pounds to start (although I'd suggest 5; you'll quickly get used to them and eventually you'll use them for squat thrusts). I also DISAGREE with the adjustable dumbbells FOR NOW. Find out how you like the 3, 5, and or 10 pound weights, how often you think you'll really use them, THEN determine whether you want to keep using your own weights. If you do, the Bowtech adjustables are great but you'll have to justify the cost. No matter what you choose, keep at it.
  • Tats1000
    Tats1000 Posts: 36 Member
    I will look into buying at least 3lb ones but at the moment (since they were on offer and cannot return them) I am stuck with my 1lb each weights. Any tips on what exercises I can do? Even ones I cn do wen my heavier ones arrive? :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Honestly, take them back. 1 pound isn't going to give you much benefit. I mean, think abut it, you lift way more than that on a regular basis.

THIS
    But wouldn't constant repetition of any weight be beneficial at the start?

Carpel Tunnel
    I will look into buying at least 3lb ones but at the moment (since they were on offer and cannot return them) I am stuck with my 1lb each weights. Any tips on what exercises I can do? Even ones I cn do wen my heavier ones arrive? :)

May I ask what your goals are? Is there a particular reason you're looking to strengthen your wrists? Is there a reason you're not doing a whole body strength program? We could help more if we knew what the endgame was
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Get the dumbbell bars, and weight plates. That way, once you are ready to up your weights, you just need to buy more plates.
    I am talking about the ones that look like this:
    QSRXxSf.jpg
    1 pound will do nothing, don't waste your money. Start with body weight stuff if you are completely new and just want to get a feel for the exercises. Do push-ups, squats, lunges etc, then add the weights.